Search results

1. M

Effects Of Cabinet Size When DSP Is Being Utilised

Regarding "1. Higher distortion coming from the air inside the smaller box." There's a spreadsheet by Linkwitz that calculates the air spring distortion and the SPL inside the box: https://www.linkwitzlab.com/closed-box1.xls
  2. M

ASR Directiva Open Source Speaker Review

First time I see posts about not liking the Seas DXT and I don't quite get it. It always seemed great in every metric really, pretty smooth FR/CSD (looks smoother to me than some others mentioned above), low distortion (overall, but higher 3rd than some others mentioned above, but is that even...
  3. M

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

As per Thiele/Small the resonance frequency is: That is, lower compliance (less stiff suspension: lower Cms) and lower mass lead to higher resonance frequency. In the speaker world, I recall people saying that larger diameter (say 10") PA mid-bass drivers with stiff suspension tend to deliver...
  4. M

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

Or to rephrase the question, a rail-tracker, like "class H" but with what could be seen as a class D amp as the power supply?
  5. M

Focal Solo6 Be Review (Studio Monitor)

Sorry, off-topic funny question. Is this a technique that could be implemented relatively easlily for a hot-running DIY class AB amp? Like replacing the power supply for the output stage with a class D chip amp that is sourcing DC plus a low-pass filtered version of the audio signal on top...
  6. M

Rank studio monitors/active speakers you have heard

Based on the FR published on the product page for the Geithain RL-944K, what I'm seeing is that the Geithain RL-944K has two not very narrow dips of 2dB or so above 5kHz, whereas the Genelec 8341A has flatter FR in the treble on- and off-axis. Geithain RL-944K Genelec 8341A Also above...
  7. M

Rank studio monitors/active speakers you have heard

It's almost like you're implying that tweeters are not fully understood things still or that something important still hasn't been uncovered about treble sound quality and this is exposed by some feature that is most present in Genelec's tweeters from what we know so far. (But it sounds more...
  8. M

Crossover design based on datasheet FR of drivers

For sure, I'm still curious though. This point sounds to me like the baffle diffraction sim is something you'd hardly ever want to use. Or otherwise why is it worse for creating a simulated response for a big IEC baffle compared to a speaker sized baffle? I just remembered there's a thread...
  9. M

Crossover design based on datasheet FR of drivers

Chances are this has been discussed before on forums. (But searching for it isn't that easy.) I wonder to what extent is it possible to design a crossover (or a whole speaker actually) just based on FR data on the datasheets of the drivers, and it would be interesting to spell out the issues...
  10. M

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

Pertaining to speaker crossovers, I was just browsing forum threads to read about the Danley Synergy crossover. Many of those speakers show a gradual phase shift from low to high frequencies, a continuously downward sloping line as opposed to the phase wrap which would be the case with a...
  11. M

Adam A5X Review (Powered Studio Monitor)

If we apply the 80Hz LR4 HPF to a typical ported bookshelf speaker that has the typical 4th-order roll-of at say 40-60Hz, is that still the case of what we could call a LR4 crossover, for the most part, or is it something worse because not one whole octave below the 80Hz LR4 HPF there's the...
  12. M

MASSDROP X Focal ELEX Review (headphone)

This is my understanding as well. In music bass frequencies will have the highest amplitude, so when playing music and say 40Hz hits 114dB SPL most of the spectrum above the bass region will be well below that SPL. So look at the 114dB distortion measurements from the perspective of (sub-) bass...
  13. M

You have $4000. What speakers do you buy?

My first thought happens to be right now is Kef LS50 Meta and two sealed subs with defeatable crossovers, and a DSP box to implement the crossover to the subs and bass management. Even though I'm not a huge fan of having to have a separate amp box around for passives. Two subs also because...
  14. M

Open headphones Senheiser

I was looking at the oratory1990 measurments and EQ curves for this line of open backs in relation to the Harman bass shelf. On those graphs the HD58X has the most extension after EQ: flat to 20Hz, more extension than the HD560S, which is flat to 30Hz vs. the Harman bass shelf . Although the...
  15. M

Dynaudio Emit M10 Review (bookshelf speaker)

My best guess would have been that Dynaudio makes their drivers for their "1st order crossover topology" (their words) so that they have very gentle roll-offs beyond the target XO frequency so that after adding a cap / coil the final result is 2nd order acoustic. Step response would show that...
  16. M

Dynaudio Emit M10 Review (bookshelf speaker)

To my understanding as a beginner that seems like a reasonable choice of crossover frequency for horizontal directivity matching with these drivers. Maybe it's the crossover slopes? I guess with 1st order electrical filters they have 2nd order acoustic slopes. But here I'm unsure if it can be...
  17. M

Vibrational Effects on Digital Audio

I'm powering a PC mainboard using a 16-24V DC to ATX PSU board, it appears to be well made, but it has super bad ceramic capacitor whine and clicky sound depending on the CPU load. I think it also produces some constant tone lower in amplitude, when I put ears close to it, maybe something...
  18. M

Dongle ADC performance?

Anybody else curious about the performance of the ADCs in USB-C audio dongles? The Apple dongle has an ADC for microphone support. Searched around for a bit, but haven't found much about the ADC yet. Another example is the Meizu HiFi DAC, they say it supports microphone input. (This one has a...
  19. M

Introducing Directiva - An ASR open source platform speaker project

Recently I was sort of inspired by the SB26CDC tweeter which seems to be the same as the SB26ADC mentioned in this thread but with a ceramic coated dome. But I'm a beginner, hence my following question. The datasheet shows a very wide dispersion for these tweeters. I think what is being shown...
  20. M

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

I get that part, I mentioned the IEC 60268 test noise that has 6dB crest factor. But +6dB for the peaks means the amp can swing 2x the voltage vs. whatever the RMS voltage is for the continous average. And so it should also deliver 2x the current for those peaks. Is there some time duration...
Top Bottom