Search results

1. D

CAD suggestions

FreeCAD and Fusion360 have CAM functions built-in. Onshape will have CAM function "soon": https://www.onshape.com/en/features/cam-studio I use FreeCAD path workbench with GRBL output to a hobby CNC machine. it works well, milling a waveguide can be quite satisfying: Alternative is to export...
  2. D

CAD suggestions

Fusion360 as well as Onshape are both "free", however require an account and Internet connection to use at all, and you don't truly own anything you design. Of the two I would recommend Onshape for simple speaker stuff and ease of use. I use FreeCAD personally, it's properly free however takes...
  3. D

both RCA and XLR on some (or all DIY) Class D modules

Unable to determine from your image, it looks like "no". Easy to determine for yourself if you have the equipment in front of you. Optional (but recommended) components if you read the Hypex doc. "The only reason why one should consider including an RC combination is to keep the signal within...
  4. D

both RCA and XLR on some (or all DIY) Class D modules

Diagram is correct, 2 pole 2 throw switch.
  5. D

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

48V output is only capable of a few mA of current, so you're unlikely to cause any real damage. But here's my best advice. On a USB audio interface, 48V phantom power only exists on the XLR pins. The inputs are combo jacks that accept both XLR and TRS, so use TRS for all non-mic connections and...
  6. D

0 sample error should be the goal, accomplished with dual channel :) "Within a few samples" may not sound like much as far as distance goes, and at <1kHz may not present much of a problem, but can present significant phase error at high frequencies. Take 5kHz for an example. At 44.1kHz sample...
  7. D

For acoustic reference, the impulse of the acoustic reference determines t=0, so the location of measurement impulse is the difference in time of flight between the acoustic reference and DUT, not the distance of DUT to mic. For electrical loopback, impulse of the electrical loopback is same...
  8. D

Designing an active 2-way speaker crossover

Electrical loopback reference will always be constant, it never moves. So time from t=0 to impulse measurement is always a function of physical distance of mic to DUT. With an acoustic reference, the time from t=0 to the recorded impulse measurement is the difference in time of arrival of...
  9. D

Try it and see.. run the same measurement 10 times and see if timing remains constant. Walk away for 10 min and try again.. close application and reopen and try again. If it works for you then enjoy, as I'm sure you speak from experience. My experience resulting in unreliable timing with low...
  10. D

Don't do that with a USB mic...it's not reliable. Acoustic reference is a better idea. But real answer is get the right tool for the job.
  11. D

1/6oct smoothing isn't going to do you any favours.
  12. D

FWIW I use a Line Audio Omini1 mic, which is not calibrated by a file, but rather the mics are passively adjusted to match an Earthworks reference. I found it to be within 1dB of a calibrated Dayton Omnimic, good enough for my use, and with the added benefit that I don't have to make sure I load...
  13. D

Those who know what a mic cal should look like...should expect something without the noisy lumps, like what you get with UMIK-1. I've compared EMM-6 to a couple other mics, the noise in the calibration is only making measured results worse. UMIK-1 random cal file for context.
  14. D

Dayton emm-6 calibration is so full of noise you may be better off without it. Maybe with 1/1oct smoothing... Red trace is the supplied calibration file for an EMM-6 I purchased. Blue is 1/1oct smoothed. Those who know what a mic cal should look like would throw away the garbage supplied with...
  15. D

I think I can manage a few examples to include, just have to go back through some past conversations with others. Things like simply checking the noise floor of the measuring equipment, SNR of the measurement, what DC offset looking like on a windowed FFT, etc. I will plan to post a thread when...
  16. D

Designing an active 2-way speaker crossover

An acoustic timing reference in REW can be "functional" for timing information for speaker measurements, but far from ideal. The problem is that the specific timing is highly dependent on the setup, so repeatability is lacking. Every time you set up your measurement rig, timing reference may be...
  17. D

What sort of baseline measurements do you have in mind? I am writing an article in progress specifically for data validation, perhaps it's a good place to incorporate this information. The document is waiting for my next speaker build so I can populate it with real world examples. Data...
  18. D

Convenience? All those steps just to capture relative delay and major downside mentioned at the end sounds rather inconvenient to me. Not to mention crossover simulation with this method is locked to measurement distance, not actual listening distance. Maybe okay for small bookshelf speakers...
  19. D

I'd actually blame Jeff Bagby and Dayton Omnimic for the USB mic problem more than I would John. In John's defense, REW wasn't purpose build as a loudspeaker measurement suite, but rather aimed at room EQ, it's just evolved over the years. I am glad that John was receptive to including full...
  20. D

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Port measurement is loaded to "low frequency part" of merge tool. See measurement guide and manual section for merge tool.
Top Bottom