Search results

1. T

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Well, the W371 wasn't designed for home use. it's primarily a device for studios. Of course, you can use it at home, but don't complain about its size or aesthetics. I admit it looks quite plain,not beautiful at all, but it ain't a priority for pro buyers. I don't this price point is...
  2. T

For sure, I completely agree with you on the fact that a speaker's directivity pattern is a super important criteria. But we can't wholly characterize a speaker by one one criteria, as important as it is. And like you, i don't doubt the entire Genelec The Ones range has directiviry...
  3. T

The Electro Voice MTS-6154 is a quite differenttype of speaker than the Genelecs 8381 or W371-8361. I can't see any equivalence between these speakers, except the fact they're cardioîd ? This Electrovoice isn't a large studio monitor, it's designed and intended for long throw live applications...
  4. T

ATC speakers / Monitors

No Klippel NFS at ATC, but is this so important ? ATC has decades of experience in drivers and loudspeaker design, an anechoic chamber, and is a serious company that doesn't tell bullshit about the sound of cables, power chords, break in period, etc. Okay, they're too pricey and very...
  5. T

Alcons?

At which SPL did you hear a compression effect in high medium/mid treble with the mighty Genelec 8381 ? I'm a bit surprised, it might have have been a very high SPL I guess, kinda live event SPL measured in room. I prefer to listen at lower levels, "realistic" yes, but at a domestic scale in...
  6. T

Alcons?

Yeah, but is this so effective and important in practice ? Alcons ads a lot about their ribbon technology, but a speaker is a whole, not only an HF driver ? Question is : are they OVERALL better speaker than the competition, or just amazing in the treble resolution and dynamics, which could...
  7. T

Yamaha R-S202 Receiver Review

If you don't need many features and connectivity, maybe the best for you could be the little Fosi. Simple devices are generally the most transparent (all things being equal) and simple things are often more reliable too. Just a few things : i don't consider myself as an audiophile, but as a...
  8. T

They are quite different devices, for functionnalities and technical design as well. I summarize what are in my opinion their respective PROS ans CONS, but it's hard to compare them and make a firm statement on which one is the best buy. It all depnds on your needs and risks taking by buying...
  9. T

@snuf and Daniel, I wasn't talking about the Loxjie A30 (a tiny budget amp quite in a different league, I'm not interested in) but about the Loxjie A40, much more versatile and powerful (not tested yet indeed) which can be compared to the Yamaha. The fact is these 2 Loxjies are load dependent...
  10. T

The Loxjie A40 seems to be pretty attractive too, I could be tempted but hesitating. For roughly the same price, it's neater, smaller than this Yam, it has even more functionnalities than the Yam - it adds a phono input (don't know if it's good or just an added feature for following the vinyl...
  11. T

All in all, that's a good device, with a lot of functionnalities. By a good brand well distributed all over the world, with a good reputation of reliabiity (having owned several Yam products for decades without any serious problem, I can assume this). As for me, the only problem is the audible...
  12. T

Yamaha R-N803 Smart Receiver Review

I definitely agree. Some AVR are pretty good (I don't write "perfect") with a lot of functionnalities and enough power in the sub 1,5/2K € or $. The Yamaha R-n803D is a good connected stereo receiver anyway, and its successors the new 800, 1000 or more expensive 2000 stereo connected receivers...
  13. T

Can someone with some Genelecs compare them to these Bestisan clones, even if for the lols?

Indeed the smallest Swans/Hivi monitor looks the same as the Bestisan or Senal seen above, they probably are all sourced by the same OEM chinese company. I found out an Amir review of this small Swans HIVI monitor. Not good results for this little Swans, but Amir found some good points and...
  14. T

Can someone with some Genelecs compare them to these Bestisan clones, even if for the lols?

I seriously doubt it too. Emulating Genelec's design is one thing (it's not the first time such chinese clones are seen and sold on line) but getting the same level of expertise and experience is quite another issue. But we're talking about a little cute beast sold one tenth of the Gen 8010...
  15. T

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

Connected speakers these days have made substancial progress, due to the financial and R&D resources of the big companies at the forefront of this tech trend (Sonos, Harman/Samsung, Google, Apple, Bose). So they can put very solid engineering in designing those little beasts. Their VFM is...
  16. T

Marantz Cinema 40 AVR Review

Anyway, performances are good, built qulity is good considering the complexity of such a device, and seems to get better from previous generation, which is not always the case. The measured little draw backs and flaws should be barely audible, probably not audible at all. Denon and Marantz are...
  17. T

Well designed coax drivers have a very good soundstage, this is the case with Genelec's The Ones, or KEF hifi good drivers. Of course, the Ones are studio monitors, so don't expect an ultra large but unprecise soundstage. But they fill the space much better than most other monitors.
  18. T

GGNTKT M3 yes M3 Formerly known as M2!

Great speaker it seems, indeed. Hope to read soon an indpendent review including measuremens and listening tests. I like the design styling too, better looking IMO than its older sister M1. By the way, I find quite silly and intrusive and thus totally inacceptable the questions in order to...
  19. T

Class D amp long term reliability

Please, the subject of this thread isn't the definition of active or passive speakers, this have been discussed before in another thread. So go back to the subject : the reliability of class D amps, should they be implemented in plate amps or not, or be used with active or passive speakers..
  20. T

TOPPING DX9!

Cheap not at all, the aluminium case is fine and classy. But generic yes, all these chinese brands (Topping, SMSL, Sabaj and co.) use the same type of remote whose ergonomy is relatively poor. Ergonomy of the main device as well. Once you get used to it, it's ok, but they should improve this...
Top Bottom