Search results

1. Gorgonzola

Please, for the love of God - Help me. Revel Performa 3 M106.

So fine and the WiiM will probably work very well: got a decent review from Amir. However the Revel M206's "deserve" an even better amp and you'd do will to consider that for the future. For a one-box solution at moderate price I personally would consider the miniDSP SHD Power. If I were...
  2. Gorgonzola

There's been a rather excessive discussion of speaker cables in this thread -- all well-intentioned of course. My advice, FWIW: Use banana plugs on both ends. They are perfect sound quality-wise and the most convenient Buy the longest run of cable you are likely to use in the medium term Get...
  3. Gorgonzola

So far you've done well: when it comes to equipment, starting with the speakers is a good idea. Now back to the top end of the chain: what source will your music come from? Streaming is popular these days vs. buying physical product like CD or LPs, do you expect to take this route? There...
  4. Gorgonzola

Shogun

I really like the '80's series too have watched in several times over the years. However I'm really enjoying the '24 version as well. The history & politics -- albeit pseudo -- gives adds a lot of depth to the story and gives a flavor for the actually history of that epoch in Japan. If one...
  5. Gorgonzola

Shogun

Hate to sound contrarian but I'm glad too much of the show isn't taken up by fight scenes. 'Way too many shows nowadays seem to be built around fight scenes with any plot substance seemingly only providing the pretext for the fights.
  6. Gorgonzola

Dayton Audio OPAL1 speaker launches

Yes, I certainly like see a review. These OPAL 1 speakers are going aways up-market from a purveyor of parts, components, and low-end finished products. (Will there be an OPAL 2 at some point? :).) 32 Hz at -3 dB is fairly remarkable in a speaker this size -- even at 78.5 dB sensitivity. In...
  7. Gorgonzola

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Alexander should stop whining and make a better speaker that doesn't require special setup and considerations to deliver decent performance. Makers such as Magnepan don't whine, demand retractions, or threaten to sue when the speakers show weaknesses in standard tests.
  8. Gorgonzola

Three very different amps. Which to choose?

There could scarcely be three more different amplifiers: all of them over priced IMHO. But briefly, I've owned Pass and I've owned Purifi and I personally would go for Purifi every time ... but not Apollon's "Premium" products, (being both a tightwad and poor). If you're willing consider a...
  9. Gorgonzola

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

My "slim" speakers are Zaph Audio ZRT's which I assembled with components from Madisound and Parts Express. I got the cabinets as "flat packs" for Parts Express; the bases I fabricated myself. ZRT cabinets work-in-progress ...
  10. Gorgonzola

Dayton knock down speaker cabinets

I'm not sure which mini-tower you're talking about. Is it the 1.16 cu.ft. or another? I built my Zaph Audio ZRT's a few years ago using a 1.16 cu.ft. that looks the same. These cabinets were a tad smaller than the Zaph design based on a Madisound cabinet which was/is no longer available; I...
  11. Gorgonzola

What is the point of CD rips?

Sorry for your loss. I have a collection of 4000+ CD equivalent which are mostly rips plus a small proportion of download. Most of the rips were made before streaming became popular. I don't worry much about loosing them because I have multiple backups on four different hard disks...
  12. Gorgonzola

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

I'm find with my skinny speakers: best sounding I've owned. Esthetically they were a relieve after 15+ years of Magneplanars.
  13. Gorgonzola

Preamps do make a difference..

Reading measurements and using your ears aren't mutually exclusive.
  14. Gorgonzola

Preamps do make a difference..

@djb, I agree: preamps can make a big difference, especially if you venture from solid state to tubes. I had several of both, but the biggest differences are between the tube components, (IMHO). My personal approach is to employ ultra-low distortion up & downstream components, and use the...
  15. Gorgonzola

3-Body Problem

The Expanse was a great series. 3 Body Problem characters are far from the rough-and-ready Expanse types; by contrast the 3 Body guys are gentle scientists. Not without metal, however, and for the most part, able to "do the needful thing" as they see it. They are pretty well fleshed out buy...
  16. Gorgonzola

3-Body Problem

I'm loving it and looking forward to future season(s). Yeah, it's the well-worn alien invasion cliché but this is no boring GI Joe versus insectoid monsters scenario. There are so many twists from that norm which make it quite engrossing.
  17. Gorgonzola

Do you refer to yourself as an 'audiophile'?

I say I'm a 'audiophile' because I like great sound: detailed, airy, crisp, with articulate bass. I'm not afraid to say I'm an audiophile because I refuse to be stuck with stereotype of a person who believes that can hear difference between two lengths of wire that happen to be wrapped in...
  18. Gorgonzola

Akitika GT-108 Stereo Amplifier Kit Review

The only thing vaguely interesting to me at Akitika is his PR-102 preamp -- I'm not sure why considering I'd have to buy it assembled, (my kit building days are over due to fading eyesight). The Schiit Kara is about the same price as the assembled Akitika. I'd get the remote controlled...
Top Bottom