Search results

1. DavidMcRoy

AVR Advanced/Service Menu Access Codes

In a thread associated with a recent ASR review of the Pioneer VSX-LX-505, a forum member kindly offered instructions on how to access the Advanced (or Service) Menu on my similar Pionever VSX-LX503. The direction to press the Info button on the remote 4 times and then enter "ciuser" for both...
  2. DavidMcRoy

Does Hi-Res Audio Have a Future?

Is it late enough in the game to determine whether there are enough people who can hear a difference and appreciate it to assure continued hardware manufacturing and software production and distribution? I, for one seem to hear "a difference," but it's so marginal that I barely care about it...
  3. DavidMcRoy

An overview of the Chinese HiFi segment of the audio industry

Heads up to Administrators, since the very title of the linked story contains language that is discouraged on this forum: https://futureaudiophile.com/how-chi-fi-is-re-energizing-the-audiophile-hobby/?fbclid=IwAR2bwbgUqCnNOFNNn9SRaDk6Vdjv9_1duvzMW-aTor8OT-yE6M256BSR7Ks
  4. DavidMcRoy

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

Pardon the “public radio vocabulary.” (Agglomeration = a bringing together, sort of. I had to use Google to find a single word for that.) Given the arduous and frustrating lengths that ASR members and others around the world have taken to get Lossless and/or Hi-Res audio out of the Apple...
  5. DavidMcRoy

Dolby Atmos music mixing terminology explained by Mix Engineer John Hanes

Hanes wrote this on Gearspace, and it’s a Must Read: “First, we need to get terminology straight. We can't use binaural and stereo interchangeably. Binaural is not stereo; it is a 2-channel downmix to be delivered to Headphones. “So the process is to do the mix, record it into the Dolby...
  6. DavidMcRoy

Apple Lossless and Dolby Atmos is on my iPhone and iPad

THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED TO INCLUDE MY INITIAL LISTENING REACTIONS They both showed up as options under a new line called “Audio Quality” in Music Settings. (I am in Washington State, USA and the rollout may still be underway.) I look forward to your assessments. Apple’s May 24, 2021 release...
  7. DavidMcRoy

At What Point Does A Lower Bitrate/Sampling Frequency Or Higher Digital Compression Become Audible To You?

Well? I’m curious when y’all think the numbers become an issue “for you.” This may be a completely subjective assessment on your part. I mean, there’s a huge debate about this and there must be SOME reason for some line to be drawn, so where is that line? I’d also welcome any links to blind...
  8. DavidMcRoy

There’s some new (to me) insight on Apple Music with Dolby Atmos and Spatial Audio here

Including how they differ and how they relate to each other From Apple Insider: https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/05/18/apples-spatial-audio-and-dolby-atmos-explained?utm_medium=rss&fbclid=IwAR1oYVoCPjXxgHXL8lcraFfP_oIRUVbGymnQ2iQvPacAwaHHpWXEgDCo9I0
  9. DavidMcRoy

Apple iOS 14.6 (beta) Hints at Dolby Audio, Dolby Atmos

From 9to5 Mac: https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/01/ios-14-6-beta-1-hinted-at-apple-music-hifi-support-with-dolby-audio-references/?fbclid=IwAR1AY2gVzuTpnkVTglZT7mWyfBWiCsi3uiGSv74K2-3MMh7C2gbJkdAXYYg
Top Bottom