Search results

1. DavidMcRoy

Front wall vs back wall

"Open" probably doesn't mean open to the great outdoors, but "open" to another enclosed space with its own acoustics...which may still require treatment.
  2. DavidMcRoy

Do you care about speaker looks / appearance?

A design chief at a major car manufacturer once said, "Good styling costs little. We have to bend the metal anyway so we might as well make it look nice."
  3. DavidMcRoy

I wish ASR gets involved in building a full range floor-stading speaker

It certainly is. Unfortunately I am not equipped to do all of those measurements, just frequency response (it's pretty flat and extended.)
  4. DavidMcRoy

There is nothing holy about the signal

I am in general agreement with the OP. Toole's "Circle of Confusion" means that audio frequency response is the Wild, Wild West whether we like it or not, so I season to taste. In my case that's something like the B+K and EBU curves, but with extra bass boost below 100Hz climbing with decreasing...
  5. DavidMcRoy

TV Upgrade?

I speak from experience as a retired TV broadcaster: video processing for distribution systems have been used to intentionally dumb-down 1080i and 1080p for a few decades now to save bandwidth. I wouldn't expect that to change with 4K and 8K as they become more commonplace. It's a real shame.
  6. DavidMcRoy

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

The little chip that could; amplifier designers striving to avoid spoiling this device's true nature
  7. DavidMcRoy

The pain of being a member of ASR

Now you know how I felt as an atheist born and raised in the Bible Belt.
  8. DavidMcRoy

I wish ASR gets involved in building a full range floor-stading speaker

I built a revised version of my dipole/open baffle floor standers
  9. DavidMcRoy

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

Karl-HeinzFink wrote, "The LS3/5 was a studio monitor to be used at space-limited places." Exactly. You might say that the BBC designed a dramatically better "continuity speaker" than the Auratone and this is it. It somehow found its way into hifi salons, stories were told, and here we are.
  10. DavidMcRoy

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

The first and last times I ever heard the LS3/5A were in the late 1970s and early 80s. They were the Rogers version being sold in North American hifi shops. Their frequency response peculiarities were pretty well documented at the time, as I recall. The 150Hz bass bump was said to have been...
  11. DavidMcRoy

Stereophile Amplification Product of the Year

It would be a bargain at 1/10,000 of the price!
  12. DavidMcRoy

Show us your Cars

It's old, but it's new to our fleet: a 2010 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4MATIC (because my VW Golf was better suited to south Florida than it is to the Pacific Northwest)
  13. DavidMcRoy

Inside the JBL305P MkII

I'll be the first to admit that my route is cumbersome and really isn't practical unless you really know what you're doing, but the performance is great. My goal was a system with highend performance and doing it myself was the only affordable way for me. With slightly lower expectations, a...
  14. DavidMcRoy

Inside the JBL305P MkII

I've built 6 custom DSP/active dipole (open baffle) speakers for my surround system, and I ended up using multiple Aiyima and Fosi amplifiers, a channel per driver. If your speakers are big enough (mine all are) you can just strap the tine amps to the back panel. Their outboard power supply...
  15. DavidMcRoy

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Your experience doesn't surprise me. There isn't anything subpar about the Fosi V3, the Aiyima A07 or the A07 Max when operated within their limits. I'm using them to power individual drivers in my custom 3-way and 5-way active DSP speakers, where they each just loaf along with only a fractional...
  16. DavidMcRoy

Please help: LG C2 -> 2.0 sound

I think it has an optical digital audio output port? You could feed an outboard DAC with that and get 2.0 PCM at 24/48.
  17. DavidMcRoy

TV Upgrade?

I had a 65" Sony XR-X90J LED and it was great. We damaged its panel during a move. Sony support no longer has that panel in stock as a replacement part, so the set's cost was reimbursed by American Express. I replaced it with an 65" LG C2 OLED evo and I love it. I'll never go back to LED again...
  18. DavidMcRoy

Circle of Confusion: Database of Studios and their Monitors

I think this is a useful topic to discuss if only to demonstrate just how non-standardized recording and mixing practices are in real life. It's a miracle we get as much consistency in the end products as we do, or, alternately depending on your sensibilites, it's no wonder there's so much...
  19. DavidMcRoy

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

I ordered an A07 Max with a 36 VDC supply. It just arrived. Haven't tried it yet. I suspect it'll subjectively sound identical to the original A07 and to the Fosi V3 to me. I needed another amp so I thought I'd get a Max for grins.
Top Bottom