Search results

1. oivavoi

Study on blind testing: Is ABX worse than other protocols?

Howdy folks, thought I should share an interesting study I came across, which was published just now: Listening tests in room acoustics: Comparison of overall difference protocols regarding operational power...
  2. oivavoi

Aural ID from Genelec: Making headphones like stereo?

Haven't seen any discussions of this here yet, so I thought I'd start a thread on it. Headphones don't sound like stereo, we all know that. Stereo soundstage happens in front of you, headphone soundstage happens inside the head. The reasons for this are complicated (google "head related...
  3. oivavoi

Box speakers with very wide and very even dispersion?

Hi y'all, the thread on neutral bookshelf speakers prompted me to think about this issue, so I'm opening a new thread on it. By now it's become more or less agreed upon (on this forum at least) that even directivity with frequency is one of the most important goals of loudspeaker design. The...
  4. oivavoi

Dutch & Dutch 8Cs for sale

Hi y'all. I've decided to sell my pair of D&D 8Cs. It's the version with oak panels and black front. These speakers have been used only a few times, and are essentially new. They are in their original boxes. They can be sent to any EU country. In order to avoid VAT on import, I will send them...
  5. oivavoi

The hobby/science of hifi vs the hobby/science of dogs

Hi all, just venting some frustration. There was recently a thread on "Why is audio so angry"? In that thread people compared hifi to other hobbies. I have just discovered one hobby which is just as unscientific and subjectivist as hifi: Dogs! Long story short, we're probably going to get a...
  6. oivavoi

Roger Sanders' views on audio: The discussion thread

I posted this in another thread, but I think it deserves to be read more widely. I recently stumbled across this long interview with Roger Sanders, an independent manufacturer of electrostatic speakers. I had briefly heard of him before, but when reading the interview it dawned on me that he...
  7. oivavoi

small room acoustics, speaker directivity and dynamics

I like it! But how sensitive are your drivers, @Cosmik ? I just saw this model selling for virtually nothing here in Norway, and I'm considering to use it for my coming setup with the morrison speakers. It's virtually impossible to find a multichannel amp with a volume control that controls all...
  8. oivavoi

Geoff Martin's tour of "Errors in digital audio"

The chief engineer at B&O, Geoff Martin, has recently finished writing a series of blog posts on "Typical errors in digital audio" over at his blog: http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/ Very interesting stuff. According to him, streaming over wifi is much more error prone than commonly assumed...
  9. oivavoi

Which surround receivers have the best upmix algorithms?

What the title says. I've been intrigued by multichannel audio for some time. I will probably not invest in a multichannel rig in the near future, but nevertheless I remain intrigued. My listening is about 30 percent classical, 30 percent jazz, 40 percent rock and pop, and 10 percent...
  10. oivavoi

"The floating cone driver"

Speakers are probably the last great technological frontier in audio, which are still far from perfection. Here's a fascinating piece of technology I just encountered: A transducer without spider and surround, called the "floating cone driver". https://www.ilumnia.be/maindesign Seems...
  11. oivavoi

Psychoacoustic effects of front and back reflections?

I have read quite a bit psychoacoustic research about room acoustics, reflections etc and how it affects our perception. But one thing is striking: There seems to be quite a bit of research about lateral reflections, and also some research on vertical reflections. But I struggle to find any good...
  12. oivavoi

The swiss army knife of digital audio

I just became aware of this neat little unit from Yamaha - the WXC-50: This box basically does everything: It can stream over wifi, it has bluetooth and airplay (which means it can function as a roon endpoint), digital and analog output, AND the volume control is in the digital domain - 48...
  13. oivavoi

Myth or reality? Volume control in Windows

I've read on a couple hifi forums that the digital Volume control in Windows can have detrimental effects on audio quality, more so than with mac or Linux. I have yet to understand why. Is there something to this? Or is it just an audiophile urban legend which arose at some point? For the...
  14. oivavoi

Active horn speaker from German Abacus

Discovered this speaker on a german hifi forum dedicated to active speakers: They are to be produced by German speaker and electronics producer Abacus, in tandem with Audiovero, another German company. Audiovero is the company that makes Acourate, a highly regarded DSP and room correction...
  15. oivavoi

Books on psychoacoustics

I recently came across this book on psychoacoustics: https://www.amazon.com/Psychoacoustics-Models-Springer-Information-Sciences/dp/3540231595 Just started reading it. Extremely interesting. It seems to be much less known that Floyd Toole's book though... anybody here read it? But it's rather...
  16. oivavoi

Bias removal challenge: "Setting up a system for a friend"

If I want to remove bias in my own thoughts and actions, I often find it useful to imagine that it's not about me. What would I think if it was not me doing this or that, but someone else? I just struck me that this might also be a intriguing exercise in hifi. So here's a challenge to y'all...
  17. oivavoi

Does something like this exist on the cheap?

Ok, here's the thing: For the speakers I'm considering buying, the manufacturer uses the DBX driveracks for crossover and eq (he's a cheapskate just like me). He uses the PA2. I'm debating with myself, however, whether I should go for the more expensive Venu360. Venu360 has a digital input, so...
  18. oivavoi

Dynaudio Evidence M5P

I recently came across a column by mastering engineer and audio writer Bob Katz, where he raves about his new mastering speakers - Evidence M5P from Dynaudio: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-12-throwing-down-gauntlet#yHHWci7OExrpBcjC.97 These are supposed to cost...
  19. oivavoi

Let's discuss room correction

I struggle to understand this. I've seen some discussions of this on other hifi forums, but they quickly become very heated, and attract people who have vested interests in the issue. And they quickly become so technical that I end up being more confused than I was. Here on the forum there are...
  20. oivavoi

The Davidson "Panga" dipole line source

Has anybody heard of - or heard - this speaker? I like dipoles, and I like line sources. So I google searched "dipole line source", to see if something like that existed. Apparently it's not a very common design, since this was the first thing that came up: For reasons that are unclear to...
Top Bottom