Search results

1. symphara

Lossless Ethernet?

No I’m not. In responding to someone asking why is Ethernet lossy, you wrote "Because collisions can happen with two talkers attempting to transmit at the same time.”. I wanted to be less blunt, but that is flatly wrong. Ethernet has a protocol for dealing with this situation, it will NOT cause...
  2. symphara

Lossless Ethernet?

That doesn’t mean “lossy”, it relies on the exponential back-off algorithm to do re-transmission. Ethernet is simply lossy because there’s no guarantee that the other end won’t dump your stuff, e.g. because of congestion.
  3. symphara

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

They're not full range, which is a core requirement.
  4. symphara

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

"The 8c's directional design avoids early reflections" (Dutch & Dutch 8C manual, page 13) "The reflections from the sidewalls, which might smear the stereo image, would therefore be lower in level than with a conventional design [...] I echo Kal's conclusion that the D&D 8c demonstrates that...
  5. symphara

Denon Replaces AKM AK4458 DAC IC in X4700H and X6700H

You might be dissatisfied. Better listen to it first.
  6. symphara

I like this thread and I’m interested in hearing what @MKR is going to end up buying. Would you kindly make a different thread for discussing how ”bright“ KEF speakers are, if that’s what really irks you? It’s just completely off topic here.
  7. symphara

Ex-subjectivists on ASR

10 minutes at 180degC in the air fryer, I guess?
  8. symphara

Well, you started with the 25kHz hearing test... I merely upgraded it, for fun. Physiological reasons aren't preferences. You keep saying that, but I'm not assuming it's random. It could be that 60% of the general population likes no reflections, just to make something up, but your 20-person...
  9. symphara

Sure thing, you can look at 10 people and determine they have no wings and thus extrapolate to the world's population, but that's not research. When it comes to preferences, which can vary widely, these studies are way too underpowered to show anything except that a few people in the study...
  10. symphara

Dutch & Dutch 8C - Firmware V2.2 (Spotify Connect)

Halleluiah! No idea why this isn't a base feature for all active speakers. This alone puts them on my upgrade list. Any suggestions for a prettier stand? The one they sell is just hideous.
  11. symphara

At best misleading. And "per group"? What does that prove? How many groups? Citation? "Remicade’s approval [August 1998] represented the culmination of two independent sets of research that began in 1975 when both TNF and hybridoma technology". There was significant research done for many...
  12. symphara

That's way too few people to provide any kind of statistical power.
  13. symphara

Ex-subjectivists on ASR

There are so many trade-offs. For amplifiers, there’s a wide variety of products and you might run into the trade-off of power vs SINAD. For DAC/streamers, you have such different feature sets. For speakers, to date I have never heard different type speakers, including of the same brand, that...
  14. symphara

Ex-subjectivists on ASR

I didn’t say it was.
  15. symphara

Ex-subjectivists on ASR

Is it though? To me, there's more. For example, something that's plausible (not necessarily true) e.g. all things being equal, a DAC equipped with an AKM chip will sound different from an ESS vs something that's not even plausible, e.g. putting cables on raisers will affect sound quality. It's...
  16. symphara

Ex-subjectivists on ASR

I've cared more and more about how and why, but this didn't move me from "subjectivist" to "objectivist", rather from "non-particularly-informed-but-without-strong-beliefs" to "somewhat-informed-and-experienced-with-mild-beliefs". I've always tried DSP, whenever available, while thinking that...
  17. symphara

I did research and found no nice answer. If a speaker has volume control and no fixed volume input, it can be used for HT but it’s a pain. Basically you calibrate the AVR with a reasonable volume set on the speakers (using a dB meter). Then every time you want to watch a movie, you have to...
  18. symphara

I don't know if @MKR is planning HT integration for his shiny new $30k speakers but, to me, this is where actives fall over themselves. Not even the LS60, which is a lifestyle product with the most features and inputs available in this segment, cannot be configured to use a set volume on the...
  19. symphara

Is it usable for HT? Does it have a fixed volume mode, so it can be controlled by the AVR? The speakers look great (sans the ugly D&D stands) but really limited in terms of connectivity.
Top Bottom