Search results

1. R

Was anybody at the Sean Olive talk at CanJam?

I do not have a target curve. And what I'm saying is the truth of it, it was the 2015 filters that got tested, not 2018. Spin it however you want lol. Edit: it even says it's not the one with ear gain adjustment in the slide.
  2. R

It could be used, although I think most of us who do EQ are supplementing that with our own personalization for individual length mode issues and such with a given IEM - certainly I am. It's a reasonable starting point. I think what would be useful for people is to try comparing population...
  3. R

That's right. We don't use an alternative target curve given the way we present the data, we were just trying to guess what class 1 would be for a population average DFHRTF baseline. While all of them fall within the preference bounds, it's still unclear how much bass most people would prefer...
  4. R

Tanchjim Origin IEM Review

Just so you're aware, most of those go through me for testing, on both the GRAS and B&K systems. I then send them to folks on our review team to write about - some of them also have their own rigs as well, in which case they also do testing. Regardless, one has to be quite the silly goose to...
  5. R

100%. Thankfully... Dr. Olive liked the video, and he even found similar results when testing HRTFs, in particular the treble overestimation. But let's not let that get in the way of the narrative here. The headphone illuminati that doesn't really focus on IEMs is hard at work denigrating the...
  6. R

Given that the guy thinks it was about "different targets", clearly he didn't understand it. And the idea that we don't do much testing on them is... laughable. Par for the course. To be clear, EQing to Harman IE as a starting point to see if it's a good fit for you isn't unreasonable at all...
  7. R

5128 eq presets by resolve where actually good? where are they now?

I closed the thread because we now have the data for bass and treble filters for each preference group applied to the 5128 calibration. That thread was to see if people wanted a third filter for ear gain (a 'Lorho filter' if you will), and it turns out people do. The problem is, while the...
  8. R

Clipping in headphones...

I think what they're asking about is excursion limits, which is commonly referred to as 'clipping', but yeah even then that shows up as high order distortion. And the answer is that it depends on the headphones. I was just writing about this somewhere else but an example is the Focal headphones...
  9. R

Master Complaint Thread About Headphone Measurements

This is something we agree on haha. Not sure how to quantify stuff that runs afoul of the private language problem, but some indication of preference may be useful.
  10. R

Or Dr. Olive's statistical model I imagine. But yeah, that tends to be the way things go for this question.
  11. R

It's not a metric for anything - it's an analogy. The metric would be frequency response at the ear drum... most likely.
  12. R

Nonsense - I didn't at all claim it was a function of high end headphones at all, that's literally you reading your own narrative into my words. I asked in his mind where this 'detail' comes from - where some of the higher end ones are clearly better received than some lower end ones. Did you...
  13. R

Ah yes, another straw man. At no point did I say that "subjective remarks can completely turn measurement results upside down". I merely advocating giving both, and that it's good to indicate when it is a subjective report and not based on anything objective - I think you'd agree with this, no?
  14. R

Please be serious. You're posting a clip of me asking the question to Oratory1990 on a live stream from 3 years ago, and this is your 'proof' that your take of my position is correct? I'm not saying I haven't had wrong opinions on this topic in the past, but you can do better than that haha. How...
  15. R

Well, people using different terms to mean different things is essentially the problem of private language, and this is core to many debates in the audio hobby. You can go to an audio show and have ten people try the same headphone and you can get ten different descriptors. However, when these...
  16. R

So, my stance on all of this stuff is that any description of 'technicalities' is only ever a description of the subjective experience and does not describe any physical or acoustic property. Despite what you may read on this forum from people who regularly enjoy misrepresenting my views on this...
  17. R

ZMF Caldera Headphone Review

Yeah I was surprised by the article, because the DT770 (and other beyers with a similar design) are actually some of the most difficult to get a consistent seal. There are other headphones that perform far more consistently across the board like the HD 800 S. Not sure why they chose closed-back...
  18. R

Not necessarily - it depends on the desired narrative. Some can be "recommended with EQ", while others will be "not recommended without EQ", and maybe there are reasons behind that. Ultimately it's a distinction without a difference, but this is one of several areas where Harman checklist...
  19. R

Well, there's more to the research than just the target you see. You may not fall into the largest group, for example. It's just that the common way of representing headphone FR is relative to a singular target and that's almost always an indication of the largest group (understandably so). So...
  20. R

I actually think we're more in agreement than not on much of this. IMO in a perfect world manufacturers would aim for the largest segment, and then supply EQ profiles (or some other method of adjustment) to satisfy the other segments. It gets more challenging with IEMs because there's more...
Top Bottom