Search results

1. J

Where do the other watts go? Need basic understanding please

This is all great info but I am trying to understand where the extra watts go? So if you have 85db efficient speakers does the crossover in the speaker eat some power? Do other things eat power so that a 3.5 watt amp like I have, is not able to produce more than enough power to drive 85db...
  2. J

Help with the different Mogami cables for analogue

Thank you so no need to think about 75ohm rating when dealing with analogue signal? If the cable is working all is good? JH
  3. J

Help with the different Mogami cables for analogue

Hi I need to connect out of the DAC to the amp and can only use S/PDIF (RCA) connection. Mogami has so many cable like 2534, 2497 and what I have is 2964! Is one better than another sonically? My 2964 cable says "Hi Def 75ohm" which is the same as the digital cable I am using. Should I get...
  4. J

DAC blind tests? EVER?

Listen to them. There are differences but you would not know what diff you prefer so listen is the way
  5. J

Honestly have no clue and don't get off stirring a pot for the fun of it. I am new to the hobby and love learning about things.
  6. J

@Ken Tajalli great quote and yes. It was a two part thought that I didn't articulate well. Your post answered the first thought but my main question was when you have a 300wpc amp and 93bd speakers how is that not overkill and unneeded watts? Like when you drive a 93db speaker at 8ohms why do...
  7. J

I see, so is Slew rate a measure of how an amp can ramp up power for the peaks in the music/movies? Not sure how to determine the sensitivity of the pass labs or my current SPL S1200 amp but happy to post it if someone can tell me where it is?
  8. J

Thank you. That helps. So my pass labs XA25 had 25WPC and 20db gain and was a power house. The SPL which is an A/B amp has 300wpc so I wonder does amp typology cause this difference or do companies just want to build a higher output amp for less effcient speakers? J
  9. J

I have 93 db speakers. So at 1 watt I get 93db of SPL/DB sound. So 2 watts = 96 db etc etc My current amp is SPL S1200. Specs state 300 wpc. If I only need to get 2 to 4 watts to the speaker where do all the other watts on the amp go? Why are they needed vs 15 watt amp? Thank you. I love...
  10. J

Turn off or not to turn off?

Thank you, that was clear and helpful! Best JH
  11. J

Turn off or not to turn off?

I searched and read a thread somewhat concerning turning off gear or not and debating tempature norms for best working ability of different equipment. I didn't see a clear answer whether or not it is best for longevity to turn off a DAC, Pre-amp, Amp, Streamer? Does anyone leave one or all of...
  12. J

Reimyo DAP 777 DAC interesting problem fixed??

Hi I am the one that asked for help with the loose (snugish) digital RCA cable. The Reimyo played music without any drops but the light that shows what bit rate is being recieved never went on. I am streaming into the Reimyo with Lumin U2 mini. Most troubling, the Reimyo goes into error with...
  13. J

Jay's Audio Lab and electral outlets

Thank you all for a very brief second I wondered.....
  14. J

Jay's Audio Lab and electral outlets

Hi everyone, Jay has been posting on his youtube channel how his system changed (lost highs) when he had outlets from home depot installed. In yesterday's video he is saying that he had audiophile outlets installed which has made his system sound "cold" since his outlets have not been used? He...
  15. J

RCA connector is a loose fit are there options?

Thanks so there are no dropouts as it fits and stays in place due to the weight of the cable. I can try other RCA cables but this is my only digital one. Curious about adaptors and going to the BNC or XLR since that bypasses the entire issue
  16. J

Thanks, would adaptors degrade the signal carrying abilities? Or can I get a gold plated option and go into XLR or BNC?
  17. J

Hi I have a digital cable from my streamer to DAC. The RCA end is somewhat loose on the DAC connection. There are no cuts in the RCA connector so hesitant to squeeze it. Wondering if I should buy an RCA to XLR or BNC adaptor and if so recomendations would be appreciated. Someone on another...
  18. J

Does an FPGA Chip Convert Digital to Analog?

Hi all, I received an answer from Esoteric on this issue. They said there are 1 bit dac conversions and multi bit dac conversions. The Esoteric is a 1 bit dac conversions so it was concluded to be a delta sigma DAC. Best JH
Top Bottom