Search results

1. N

Windows 11 must be stopped

Unless the app was malware and got quarantined by Defender - that’s the only way and that’s not being removed remotely. I run an IT firm and see thousands of computers. Plenty of users have dodgy software. I’ve never come across any being removed my Microsoft. If they were doing this, I’m...
  2. N

Have you seen the comments under that video? "Maybe it's time that we got Elon to make computers and operating systems? Gates wants to control the world and inject people with vaccines." Yeah it's a call out to hardcore libertarians and conspiracy theoriests. The guys's other videos, especially...
  3. N

yeah it's sounds like a load of scaremongering twaddle. UEFI - I don't get this concern. So Windows 11 requires secure boot to be on for it to load. He's complaining this restricts Linux usage, or rather would do if some flavours of Linux didn't have a Microsoft signed key. But you CAN turn it...
  4. N

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside )

His noise did not appear to be the same problem. Only occurred when his DAC was connected via USB.
  5. N

Possibly some sort sort of grounding issue maybe? Can you connect the PC to the DAC via TOSLINK instead, to remove the electrical connection and see if the noise goes away? Wondering if the new A20a differs in grounding in some way. I have the latest version (I believe) of the A20a and mine is...
  6. N

Nyquist and non sine waves

Yeah I'm aware of Fourier transforms and how any waveform can be represented as a series of sine waves. The logical step I'm missing is how that works with sampling exactly?
  7. N

Nyquist and non sine waves

I've been reading up on the Nyquist Shannon theorem and I think I understand the basic concept. The explanations I've seen all involve a sine wave that can be reconstructed perfectly since only one sine wave mathematically fits samples taken, below the Nyquist limit. That's all fine. But could...
  8. N

Cannot get DAC to show higher than 96khz

Tried that but the Windows native driver is also limited to 96khz (just has less lower options). Reinstalling the SMSL XMOS driver just takes it back to where it was before. I'm pretty sure this used to work. The only change I can think of is I'm now on Windows 11
  9. N

Yes that's the conclusion I've come to but it's the latest XMOS driver from SMSL's own website so not sure what else to try. Does it matter what kind of USB port I use?
  10. N

OK so I've tried foobar and added the WASAPI component. Now it plays everything up to and including 96khz but gives an error for anything higher: "Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 352800 Hz / 32-bit / 2 channels" I notice that in Windows Sound Settings for the SMSL DAC...
  11. N

The only relevant data I can see is the Bit Rate: 8777kbps I got it from here: http://www.2l.no/hires/ specifically: http://www.lindberg.no/hires/test/2L-145/2L-45_stereo_01_FLAC_352k_24b.flac It's the same on various hi res tracks I happen to have - all normal DAC readings until above 96...
  12. N

There is no HDMI connection. It's either USB or TOSLINK.
  13. N

I'm using the latest drive supplied by SMSL so I would have thought that would cover it no?
  14. N

OK, firstly I realise that it's a waste of time playing extremely high sample rate audio but it's annoying me that I don't understand why my DAC isn't registering it anyway. So I'm playing a 24bit 352KHz test track on MusicBee, on a Windows 11 PC, into an SMSL M100 MkII DAC via USB, using...
  15. N

Measurements vs "real world" question

Thanks So how useful are the ASR amp reviews? For instance, could an amp test very highly but turn out to be terrible at driving real speakers?
  16. N

Measurements vs "real world" question

Rreading various discussion on the internet, I've see this argument a few times, in various forms re: the validity of ASR amplififer measurements, which, according to the claim, renders them no necessarily useful in the real world. E.g. : "Speakers aren't a purely resistive load like the test...
  17. N

I got one of these this week. I've not experienced any noise problems on the RCA inputs mentioned in this thread. Just lots of good, clean power. Reading the comments I was mentally selecting a balanced DAC to replace my current one but I needn't have worried. It sounds noticeably different to...
  18. N

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

To use this is a standard stereo setup, what sort of pre-amp would be best: active or would a passive one do?
  19. N

Old DAC vs New

Cool thanks. Seems to play every file I have OK and it's one less box to have in play. So will likely use the built in DAC then.
Top Bottom