Search results

1. A

Room Effects & Importance of Frequency Response/Other Metrics?

Hi. In the past few weeks I've been ruminating over the following question: -- Why fuss over how a speaker's frequency response, off-axis performance, etc. when the room-speaker interaction has far larger effects on those very same things? Why not just choose a speaker for how loud it can go...
  2. A

Driver Calculations for Infinite Baffle in a Large Room

Hi. I have a very large room: 8,000 cubic feet (227 cubic meters). I also have Klipsch La Scalas, which start to roll off at 100Hz. I can't have a subwoofer in the room. I can install an infinite baffle subwoofers in two locations in a ceiling and use a attic space as the enclosure. I'll do a...
  3. A

Want Better Sound at Low Volumes? Try a Really Large Sub.

So, if you were in my position with a budget of, say, $900, is there a small sub that you would recommend? Or does the SVS Micro 3000 sound like a good option?
  4. A

Want Better Sound at Low Volumes? Try a Really Large Sub.

I have KEF LSX (Gen 1) in an extreme nearfield desk setup in my small 80sf office. I listen to Spotify all day at 55-60dB, so it's a bit of a challenge to enhance sound quality. I added a loudness EQ and it helped. I tried my REL T/Zero on all kinds of settings and meh, it didn't do much. Then...
  5. A

I've owned speakers by.....

Polk Bose Mission Klipsch Hsu REL SVS KEF Mirage Classical Design & Engineering Apple JBL Boston Acoustics
  6. A

Living Room Concert?

This was our concert last night. Popular chamber pieces by Beethoven, Mozart, Dvorak, etc. My dad loved it. Our house is a converted church, so the acoustics were really good.
  7. A

Low Volume Listening - Extreme Nearfield <$1,700?

Aaand I stumbled upon a solution: if I connect via Airplay Spotify's EQ works. I chose Spotify's "Loudness" and juiced it 2x and it helps. Now to dial in a sub...
  8. A

Living Room Concert?

Actually, I’ve hired a professional string quartet to play for my father’s 90th birthday this Saturday. In my living room. It will be interesting for sure.
  9. A

Today I had the opportunity to listen to a variety of studio monitors at Chuck Levin's in Wheaton, MD. Genelec, Neumann, Focal, Adam and others. At 55-60db all of them sounded the same to me. I believe I need to focus on getting loudness into my existing system. I'm also going to make more of an...
  10. A

I’ve had my eye on Genelec and Neumann. I can’t say if I would like a really flat response since I don’t think I have heard that type of speaker in person. Although it appears that both have EQ available which could address my loudness issue. Maybe an in-home trial is in order…
  11. A

-- The KEF LSX have Spotify Connect, so that's the source I've been using. I tried to go out from my headphone jack on my MacBook to the AUX input but there's a loud hum. -- By "boring" I mean I need loudness or some other compensation like horns. I suspect that my La Scalas don't have a very...
  12. A

Hi. I'm using KEF LSX (Gen 1) as my desktop setup and I stream Spotify all day extreme nearfield (24 in). I'm happy with the functionality, but I listen at 55-60db and I find them a bit boring. I'm looking at options and I can spend up to $1,700 on improvements. Unfortunately, the Spotify...
  13. A

Under $1K and under 35lbs/16kg for rockin' out?

Speaker position is limited to the room corners. I use Dirac to tone down room boom. There are a lot of complicated reflections everywhere in the room. It would be interesting to try them in an anechoic environment (like outside) to test the reflections idea. I also have some Mission M71s, which...
  14. A

Thanks. I'll take a look at this later. Looks like I have to learn a little here...
  15. A

I stream Spotify via Spotify Connect on the NAD C628 which goes to the Yamaha A-S301 for amplification and manually adjusted loudness at low volumes and then out to the speakers from there. Spotify has a six-band equalizer if you dig deep enough on the iOS app. It's not very user friendly and...
  16. A

-- I can check my NAD to see if I can do that with the included mic. I'll have to do that later. If not, what app would I use on my iPhone? -- I do use loudness. I got a Yamaha A-S301 specifically because it has variable loudness. -- It's a converted church. 19' x 40' x 15' vaulted ceiling at...
  17. A

I'm not close on pushing the speaker limits. My max is 94db at the listening position 15 feet away, so maybe 105db at 1 meter from the speakers? I forget the calc. In any case, I figured it's just how the Klipsch are, particularly the older ones that I have with the aluminum horns. Good idea on...
  18. A

Hi! So, here's the deal: I have a very large room with Klipsch Cornwalls I's and a pair of La Scala I's that I'm restoring and plan to use (I like them better than the Cornwalls). I have a Hsu VTF-2 MK 4 13" subwoofer at my disposal as well. Crossover for it starts at 90Hz. I really like the...
  19. A

Target Curve for Loudness in Dirac?

Oh the mastering thing is a good point. Variable loudness compensation really seems to be the way to go. It's amazing that so many devices that do DRC don't offer that basic feature. I can understand how a purist doesn't want anything in their signal chain, but for a person like me who likes...
  20. A

Target Curve for Loudness in Dirac?

Hi. Has anyone tried to implement their own loudness curve with Dirac for a specific low volume listening level? I've got an NAD C658 and am using my MacBook to run Dirac Live. I tried to just slide the target line to make a curve that looks like a loudness compensation curve and the result...
Top Bottom