Search results

1. Burning Sounds

When did you last listen to live music

I went with my wife to see Rick Wakeman back in February at the Glasshouse in Gateshead on what was likely his final tour. We started out with a wonderful meal at an Indian restaurant on the Newcastle Quayside and then wandered over the Millenium Bridge to the Glasshouse. This was a much more...
  2. Burning Sounds

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

I live in a small village about halfway between Durham City and Bishop Auckland. I've decided to go with Bishop Auckland as it is slightly closer to me and it needs all the publicity it can get. It is often referred to as a typical "left behind" town in the North East of England. Having said...
  3. Burning Sounds

Dipole vs Box speakers

Sorry you feel that way, no offence was intended.
  4. Burning Sounds

Dipole vs Box speakers

No, I don't think you were talking in general terms as you used a quote from @TurtlePaul about the LX521's bass drivers and then raised doppler distortion in the same post linking the two together. A bit disingenuous, no? ;) But I do thank you for the Rod Elliott link - I hadn't seen that...
  5. Burning Sounds

Dipole vs Box speakers

So what am I hearing from this lots of doppler distortion? In what way does it manifest itself?
  6. Burning Sounds

Dipole vs Box speakers

No, they are active and I also use DSP. They are 2.5Rs so the ribbon goes down to 1kHz. The first 2.5Rs produced used a first order x-over which resulted in quite a few blown ribbons as I understand it. Later models used a 12/18 BW x-over. I use a LR4 which gives the ribbon more protection and...
  7. Burning Sounds

Dipole vs Box speakers

Quite true! I originally bought the plans for the LX521s from SL just to build the bass units for my Maggies as I could never get closed box bass to blend to my liking. It was probably a good 6 months or more before I built the upper baffle and I was quite taken aback at how the speakers...
  8. Burning Sounds

Dipole vs Box speakers

IIRC you have a rather exceptional bass array so I can see why you think the LX521 bass is a bit weak in comparison. But compared to most box speakers the bass of the LX521 is exceptionally good in terms of articulation. I think its limit is about 96dB @30Hz, so not too shabby really, What it...
  9. Burning Sounds

Poll: Speakers closer to which wall(s)?

Dipoles in a long narrowish room, so approx 2 metres from front wall and approx 1 metre from sidewalls.
  10. Burning Sounds

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Two stereo systems in the music room and a stereo system for the TV/movies/music videos in the living room which turns on and off with a single switch. And an Ikea Symfonisk in the kitchen. I tried a 5.1 system together with a Playstation in a separate room for a while, but it was rarely used...
  11. Burning Sounds

Omnidirectional speakers

I've never used the word "significant" and indeed the LXMini is a bit better than the KEF LS50 as you correctly state. But for arguments sake lets say they are near enough the same. Do you really think these graphs describe how these two speakers sound? Of course they don't. It's almost like...
  12. Burning Sounds

The Observer view on the vinyl revival: LPs are the antidote to a frenetic digital world

I'll come clean - long time Guardian and Observer subscriber here - I even have the "tofu eating" T-shirt to prove it and I'm always scraping those pesky croissant crumbs off the phone screen. Anyway, it's not called the Grauniad for nothing - and I think there's emojis missing in that sentence...
  13. Burning Sounds

Omnidirectional speakers

I'm not sure of your point here. At no time did I say that the LXMini was a full range omni. In fact I was careful to say that it wasn't. As you state it is omnidirectional up to about the x-over so it certainly has omnidirectional properties, whether conventional box speakers have that property...
  14. Burning Sounds

Omnidirectional speakers

You might want to join the Linkwitz OPLUG forum where you can post on the LXMini seeking audition thread if you are interested in having a listen to a pair. The LXMini is not a full range omni in that it transitions to a more cardiod pattern during the x-over (about 700Hz) to the upper driver...
  15. Burning Sounds

Bizarre new audio product alert!...

Indeed, sitdown and remotely select your music. .... whatever next! Both my jukeboxes also have volume normalization ie replay gain, which many associate only with digital playback. :cool:
  16. Burning Sounds

Bizarre new audio product alert!...

The jukebox doesn't need resurrecting - it never went away - Rock-Ola is still going strong - even though their current model is a copy of a Wurlitzer. Although the company is now owned by a Brit they are still made in the USA, although in Torrance, not Chicago. I own a couple - a 1974 Rock-Ola...
  17. Burning Sounds

Celebrity RIP Thread

Thanks, these posts have real meaning to me and bring back many memories - I moved to LA in 1974 and KMET and KLOS were the two rock stations I listed to throughout that time. I remember Jim Ladd well. Coming from the UK where radio was still dominated by the BBC which still operated on an...
  18. Burning Sounds

Celebrity RIP Thread

Whilst he would run a mile at the thought of being called a celebrity, within the UK steam train community my audio friend David Elliott was acknowledged as an innovative and top class engineer. David passed away a few days ago. With his engineering skills and encyclopedic knowledge the Tornado...
  19. Burning Sounds

Favourite Christmas Albums

Barrington Levy and Trinity
  20. Burning Sounds

Music For Testing Bass

Great double bass intro on Zara McFarlane's jazz version of the reggae classic Police and Thieves.
Top Bottom