Search results

1. St1n

Yamaha NS-5000

Thank you! So, if nothing else, at least these “classics” were designed during a good era in Yamaha’s HiFi tenure, yeah? They’re honestly very impressive, which makes their rarity a bit of a mystery to me. All I can assume is that they released these at a time when consumers were wanting to...
  2. St1n

Yamaha NS-5000

Hey @dualazmak, your knowledge on Yamaha speakers is impressive!! I was wondering if you had any info on the Yamaha NS-1200? I have a pair from Japan and they sound wonderful! Very impressive build quality; spruce woofer cones and cotton domes. This is the only info I could find: Audio Database...
  3. St1n

Review and Measurements of Neurochrome HP-1 High-Performance Amp

If the HP-1 outputs 2.6W @ 33 Ohms, I'm curious... does it continue to to increase in output down to even 14 Ohms? I'm curious if this bad boy can output like 4-5W amp for low impedance planars? Mine is still going strong as my desktop & gaming amp. :)
  4. St1n

Vintage vs Modern; Class A vs A/B

Exactly why I went down the vintage rabbit hole to begin with. Sure, they may not be considered SOTA now, or may not as power efficient, no balanced connections, but they still sound damn good, and most look way more interesting than what we have today. Note: most of these were built before I...
  5. St1n

Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-10 Review (Headphone Amp)

Looking forward to seeing it -- whenever it arrives.
  6. St1n

Wow, that's pretty much a steal... Too bad I'm listening to my HP-1 as I type this... :) Is this a sign that there may be a successor to the HP-1 or HP-A1 in the not so distant future?
  7. St1n

It appears they may have increased the size of the meters. I bet it'll be a great amp.
  8. St1n

You didn't misunderstand -- I did initially mean to keep the E-480, and sell the Pioneer's. But, now I've decided to hold on to the Pioneer. :) Yeah, I'm kind of tired of these expensive, pure Class A amps. I plan to build a DIY VFET amp in Class A, so that should cover my "warm", Class A...
  9. St1n

Funny story -- I ended up selling the E-480 and holding on to the vintage Pioneer separates :p Mostly, however, due to my wife loving the aesthetic qualities of the units (I would have to agree). I'll likely end up using them for a period of time before leaving them to her for use in her...
  10. St1n

Well, here's an older photo of the underside during the recap. There's not a ton of electrolytics, at least when compared to other vintage units I've worked on.
  11. St1n

I've seen the same pair "professionally" restored go for $6k! :O I currently have the M4 up for $2k. I'd probably just combine with the C3 for $4k. It seems many of them sell for $2.5k+ each, and don't disclose what's on the inside. I held on to the original parts which were substituted out...
  12. St1n

My journey so far... I've been on the hi-fi merry-go-round for a little while now, and having an engineering background, decided to go the vintage route as an attempt to save on costs. I've found that after re-capping these units from the 70's, these units generally perform quite well...
  13. St1n

Accuphase e470

It's possible that he was having issues with his E-480 due to bias -- maybe the trim pot was bumped out of position during shipping? I'm seeing around 23mVDC on the these test points (TP1; on top of the unit, next to the transformer and filter capacitors). I'd be curious to know what other...
  14. St1n

Accuphase e470

I recently pulled the trigger on an E-480 and the recently released DAC-60 upgrade card. I really hope I don't experience any of that... Trying to downsize my setup, and use the E-480 during the summer months, and also use it as a pre-amp with some Class A power amps during the cooler months...
  15. St1n

I built a Neurochrome HP-1 (first, full SMD soldering project for me actually) and have been using it daily as my desktop HP amp. Because it's actually sooo honest, I like it paired with a Bifrost 2, which helps to very subtly smooth out some of the more harsh recordings I listen to. I also use...
Top Bottom