Search results

1. oldtexasdog

Amplifiers with room correction: worth the cost or just a useless tech?

That's just as the Driverack does. Mic 6 to 9 positions let it do it's thing , name the program and save. leave the Driverack in the chain to keep on doing it's work. So it becomes a permanent part of your chain.
  2. oldtexasdog

Amplifiers with room correction: worth the cost or just a useless tech?

I use a DBX Driverack PA2. As it is designed for room correction at live venues it might be a little overkill but the price was right. It has done wonders in a bad room for getting rid of real bad echo's and integrating the subs along with making the vocals smooth. I tried a Mini DSP with Roon...
  3. oldtexasdog

Amp for B&W 803 D4 - upgrade Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 to Mcintosh, Purify or Hypex Ncx500 or Nilai

I use B&W's also (705's) with a Denon X6700H and 2 Sunfire True Subs in a smooth walled room with bad echo's. Drove me nuts till I put in a DriveRack DBX PA2. I also could not do room treatments and this solved my problems. Hope this helps.
  4. oldtexasdog

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

I was looking at one of these amps for the front 3 on my HT Denon x6700H as the B&W's are very power hungrey. My space is limited and as everting is in a cabinet running temp is important also. I do have fans. Purifi 1ET400A Amplifier, 3-channel Specs (3) Purifi...
  5. oldtexasdog

Active Room Treatment (ART) by Dirac

I have no empirical evidence but I implemented a DriveRack PA2 in my system to actively correct a room with bad acoustics. It has done very well I feel, better than Audessey in my opinion. I have not tried Dirac though.
  6. oldtexasdog

Mac instead of minidsp?

The Mini-dsp is outstanding for integrating subs into a system. I went from that to a DriveRack PA2 however and never looked back.
  7. oldtexasdog

Schiit Freya+ Pre-amp Review

Well I hooked my new Freya S up with a dbx DriveRack PA2 for room correction and I just love it!!
  8. oldtexasdog

Well I went ahead and ordered a Freya S to tide me over till I can find what I really want.
  9. oldtexasdog

Well what sounds good to me I have found is fat mids (second harmonics?) sparkling highs and tight bass. I seem to like hard to drive speakers with a lot of amperage and headroom. Not for loud volume but for presence.
  10. oldtexasdog

I'm not against or for tubes. Everything under the sun as they say. I have even been looking at some Conrad Johnson pre's. I just want to do enough due diligence to give myself a good chance at doing something right with my hard earned money that I won't just plain regret..
  11. oldtexasdog

Question Please I am looking at up-grading my Carver C1 pre and have been looking at the Freya+ and Freya S. I have only a Turn Table set up for this application in a small cabinet that I have had tube amps in the past so I am aware of air circulation needs and have a special temp controlled...
  12. oldtexasdog

What is the best Multichannel AVR on the market right now?

I don't know if this would be important to your decision but last I heard Onkyo went BK and the parent company in Japan is shutting down. Exert by Wayde Robson — May 16, 2022 Over the last couple of years we’ve been following Onkyo’s fight for survival, from the potential Sound United...
  13. oldtexasdog

Tube Headphone amp?

Something like this?
  14. oldtexasdog

Tube Headphone amp?

Anyone ever tried to use a old console tube amp for a headphone amp?
  15. oldtexasdog

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

If that Fisher was a amp out of an old console unit it had a chassis that was a ground and thus was “hot” and dangerous to touch. That was why it had a sticker that stated on the back of the console that basically stated to keep out unless you were a qualified service person. Danger Will...
  16. oldtexasdog

Carver Crimson 275 Measurements

Much like Jpahere experience, I run my B&W 805's bi-amped with a pair of Carver 275's and even though the B&W speakers are power hungry they play very nice with excellent dynamics. If I use just one 275 they still sound great but don't have as much of the dynamics I like. I have built several...
Top Bottom