Search results

1. P

Big subs vs Small subs

Sound power is fixed ... Sound pressure level varies depending on how and where it is measured. The bird/thunder clap example was my attempt at pointing out the differences in the sound power both produce.
  2. P

Big subs vs Small subs

No. I'm describing the drivers' inability to sufficiently couple to the surrounding air. At lower frequencies the smaller driver has increased difficulty overcoming the atmospheres' impedance. The radiation resistance is too low due to a small(er) Sd. I think we're confusing SPL with acoustic...
  3. P

Big subs vs Small subs

What does frequency response have to do with driver Sd?
  4. P

Big subs vs Small subs

You're joking, right? There are studies the predate my birth on this subject ... and I'm an old guy. Crack a book.
  5. P

Big subs vs Small subs

Yes, that's what I'm saying ex audiophile. The fact that both drivers, large and small, react differently to the atmosphere means they will each have an individual perceived sound to them. As an example, a low tone produced by each driver may not be heard by the smaller driver even though the...
  6. P

Big subs vs Small subs

The problem with your statement above is a smaller driver doesn't react with the atmosphere in the same way a larger driver does. It comes down to radiation resistance. The lower radiation resistance of the smaller driver can only be improved by employing a larger cone area to react with the...
  7. P

Ding-Dong Audio

Are wedges available for purchase?
  8. P

What’s your endgame speaker setup for critical listening?

I'd give my budget to Greg Timbers and wait for delivery.
  9. P

What is the difference to play 80Hz SINE signal with 80 dBZ SPL between Large and Small speaker?

As the volume of the room increases so does the need to overcome the spl losses at the listening position. The acoustic radiation is like a balloon ... not a straight line. The larger room has more internal volume to fill vs the smaller space. A smaller loudspeaker will require more power in a...
  10. P

Less time on ASR for the foreseeable future

Having been down this road ... be there when they need you and don't forget about your own health. All said and done, it's more about the good times together ... the smiles.
  11. P

How large should be my port

This isn't happening. At the absolute minimum you're about 22l short on volume .. using just one driver. Total Vb =30.5l Fb=44hz F3=40hz 6cm(dia) x 10cm(long) vent tube. This gets you a +1.5dB ripple at 115hz. Below that, response looks just like EBS3. Limited to around 94dB SPL at 1m unless...
  12. P

How to improve dynamics? Transients and punch.

I'd move the loudspeakers a bit to see if you can reduce that 45hz spike ... also, flatten the 100-300hz range by about 4-5dB .. that should help get back some of the punch found between 60-90hz..
  13. P

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Don't know if this particular loudspeaker was mentioned ... and I don't have any idea on the cost but they look interesting. They have a dealer here in the USA and that dealer will be at AXPONA : https://bluesmokesystems.com/ This is the loudspeaker...
  14. P

Measuring dynamics

I think all these new "sub-categories" of the term dynamics are nonsense. These various degrees of the term dynamics are just a part of the type of music one is listening to as well as the individual composers intent and/or style ... nothing to read into here. I feel that a loudspeakers ability...
  15. P

I don't care about stereo imaging - am I alone. (Poll)

For me it's the difference between looking at a landscape on canvass and the experience of standing in a landscape .. you can almost smell the pine's and racoon turds.
  16. P

Distortion in Bass-managed speakers

The HP filter lowers the distortion, that would be due to cone excursion, below it's set frequency. The "Q" of the filter, if that is used to lift the low end response, may add somewhat to the distortion readings above the set frequency as it slightly increases cone excursion there as well. In...
  17. P

Positioning speakers with the help of Spinorama

Depends on personal preference. Some like loudspeakers L/R crossing in front of the listener, others may like it behind the listener. With higher directivity loudspeakers you have more toe adjustment latitude in this regard ... before the room gets involved.
  18. P

Positioning speakers with the help of Spinorama

My take on loudspeaker toe-in comes down to how much of the room you may want to include in the overall response. An untreated room may want more toe-in than a treated room does. This can also depend on the directivity characteristics of the loudspeaker itself. A loudspeaker with higher...
Top Bottom