Search results

1. J

Superlux HD668B Review (headphone)

Ouch there are significant differences in almost the entire response range! Judging by this curve it looks like any EQ would be fairly counterproductive above ~100 Hz Unless of course you have an APx555 and can measure the exact headphones you own
  2. J

Superlux HD668B Review (headphone)

How consistent are cheap headphones manufactured? I would be surprised if we can really apply such a targeted EQ to a random pair fresh out of the box and expect the same sound as the pair amir tested, especially the channel imbalance. I think for a consumer the pre-EQ measurements are really...
  3. J

KRK Classic 5 Review (Studio Monitor)

Well I use a PW Link for speaker correction, so any EQ is actually counterproductive. It's very easy and also has a quick measure feature to see the live frequency response (for example to see the effect of moving speakers or flipping trim switches)
  4. J

KRK Classic 5 Review (Studio Monitor)

QUOTE="amirm, post: 623752, member: 2" Of course not. It takes me half a day to measure a speaker. I can't keep flipping switches and running everything over and over again. /QUOTE But this is a crucial measurement for this speaker that will define the purchase decisions of many... Why didn't...
  5. J

DAC advice

"Transparent" for common quality digital audio usually means it sounds harsh, I think most people call it "digital edge". Sure you can get Uber high quality files, but 90% of digital audio is not. Multibit has upsampling filters and other tricks to smooth it out and make it sound more analog...
  6. J

Schiit JOTUNHEIM 2 released

Ya for the best measurement you want the balanced output, the SE output is just half of the balanced signal, they said it was a compromise to keep the price down. Here's balanced 32 ohm low and high gain, looks like it has roughly 20x less distortion:
  7. J

DAC performance at very low frequency (1-20 Hz)

I found a dynamic DAC that uses the AD5791 and is very successful =) https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil
  8. J

DAC advice

Modi Multibit for $250, if you want to hear music as life-like as possible. Modius for $200, if you think measurements are all the matters. Topping E30 for $100 if you want volume control and Bluetooth I'm surprised at the recommendations, there is no need to spend $500 on your first DAC, I...
  9. J

Fixing Hum/Buzz issues with Schiit Jotunheim Headphone Amplifier

Why not just buy a SYS for $50 if you're about to hack up a $400 pre and add a manual pot?
  10. J

Are measurements really telling the whole story?

I think this is incredibly fascinating! The traditional argument leveled at "audiophiles" is that they are convincing themselves they can hear something that they really cannot. But what if following the measurements and not your ear is a new kind of "audiophile"? Even if the sound is...
  11. J

Wow thank you everyone for the fantastic feedback, all camps are welcome and accepted! I think I'll clarify my original question: are the measurements fully describing all the aspects of the physical waveform? The guy from schiit in the video I linked said that the measurements are only a few...
  12. J

I've been into audio for a little while now, and it's been a fascinating journey. While I love music, I discovered early on that my critical listening ability is mediocre at best. I might be able to pick one device over another, but it's pretty much at a subconscious level. To me, reading...
  13. J

Schiit JOTUNHEIM 2 released

Looks like that link is for the Lyr 3, here is the Jotunheim 2: https://www.schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/Schiit%20Amp%20APx555%20Standard%20Test%20Suite_%20Jotunheim%202.pdf Definitely measures way better than the Lyr 3!
Top Bottom