Search results

1. andreasmaaan

FOR SALE: JBL 4343 $1000 USA

JBJ 4343 Alnico Drivers Legendary Speakers Include: 2 JBL Dust Covers / 2 Oak speaker stands Price: $1000
  2. andreasmaaan

Multi-purpose system - question re: switching between surround and 2.1

I'm designing an on-wall speaker system, and I'm having trouble working out how to accommodate an unusual (but interesting) request. Thought there might be some good ideas here. Basically, it's the living room of a couple's apartment, and the sound system needs to perform two functions: 5.1...
  3. andreasmaaan

RIP Harold Budd

He was, for me, the greatest ambient composer of his generation (among other things). Apparently he passed away on Tuesday due to Covid19. Normally, 84 is considered a decent innings, but Budd's life truly was cut short in the sense that, even in his 70s and 80s, he was as prodigious as he was...
  4. andreasmaaan

Looking for smartphone (android) recommendations

Hi, I'm in the market for a new android phone, and thought the technically-minded here might be able to advise me. Had a look at a few manufacturers' websites and was overwhelmed by all the choice. Each manufacturer seems to offer a plethora of models with similar specs and at similar prices...
  5. andreasmaaan

Incredible set of interviews with family and friends of Mika Vainio

Down another rabbit-hole this weekend, I came across this set of interviews with family and friends of the late Mika Vainio, noise and techno pioneer and the source of some of my favourite electronic music recordings (both artistically and sonically). NB: for non-Finnish speakers, will need to...
  6. andreasmaaan

Very early (pre-phonograph) recordings

I ended up down a bit of an internet rabbit-hole, reading about early recording techniques. That led me to the phonoautograph, invented by Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville, which is generally recognised as the first technology capable of recording sounds directly from the air. I love this...
  7. andreasmaaan

Controversial study shows rats prefer jazz to classical music, when on drugs

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/rats-prefer-jazz-beethoven-cocaine-study/
  8. andreasmaaan

Headphone Correction & Spatialization

Hi all, I recently went about doing all I could to improve the sound of my pair of HD6XX. I thought I'd share here what I've learnt. Objectives Having found myself unexpectedly stranded in Australia due to covid19, and without headphones or access to a decent speaker system, I bought myself a...
  9. andreasmaaan

Recommendation sought for cheap optical-in DAC with remote

Hi all, My parents are looking to route their TV audio through their stereo, which they'd only used for music until now. The TV is optical out only, so what I'm looking for is something that has optical input, volume control with remote control (mute button essential), and RCA output. They...
  10. andreasmaaan

Tymphany website offline

Has anyone else noticed that Tymphany's website has been down for the past few days? Anyone know what's going on?
  11. andreasmaaan

Budget input switcher + tone control: advice needed

Hey all, A friend of mine has asked me for a recommendation for a cheap-ish (<$200) device that would allow him to switch between inputs and do some basic tone control. The requirements are: 2 x switchable single-ended inputs 1 x single-ended or balanced output Bass & treble tone controls, or...
  12. andreasmaaan

Mundorf BS

I found my way onto Mundorf's website and their "Choosing the right coil wire" page. There are some audiophile BS gems there. Incredibly, the most expensive materials seem to have the most beneficial effects on the sound! Eg: OFC copper Coils that use oxygen-free copper (99.997% purity) as...
  13. andreasmaaan

DTS Virtual:X

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any links to technical documentation on DTS Virtual:X, which claims to be able to create 3D sound using a stereo speaker pair. I presume this involves some form of crosstalk cancellation, and perhaps some additional processing, but I can't find any technical...
  14. andreasmaaan

Suggestions sought - using PC or Mac as a crossover with some added complexities

Hi all, I have a bunch of drivers and amplifier modules lying about that I've been meaning to turn into a pair of speakers for the living room. I had originally planned to buy a digital signal processor + 6 or 8 channel DAC (e.g. MiniDSP MiniSharc + 8 channel DAC) of some kind, but I'm now...
  15. andreasmaaan

First (allegedly) successful transplant of 3D-printed inner ear

“The first patient to receive the transplant was a 35-year-old man who suffered hearing loss as a result of a car accident that damaged his inner ear... Using 3D technology, [the surgeon] was able to recreate the bones—the hammer, anvil, stirrup, and the ossicles that make up the inner ear, thus...
  16. andreasmaaan

Equal Loudness Contour ("Loudness") DSP for playback?

Does anyone know of a VST or plugin of some kind that allows the user to apply equalisation based on the equal loudness contours against a reference level? Something like what is available in the Adi-2 DAC/Pro, preferably a little more sophisticated? Ideally, this would be a plugin that could be...
  17. andreasmaaan

Interesting DIYaudio thread with 3D-printable DIY waveguide models

The title says it all really. A couple of members over at DIYaudio have developed and are providing open-source printable .STL files for constant directivity waveguides for a number of popular tweeters here. The files themselves are on page 30.
  18. andreasmaaan

DAC/amp impedance

Hi @amir, following a discussion in one thread in which a member described blind AB testing done with a range of DACs feeding a passive attenuator and a very low impedance power amp, it occurred to me that perhaps measurement of electronic components’ output and (if applicable) input impedance...
  19. andreasmaaan

Crossover implementation via MacBook Pro

I’m planning to build a pair of 3-way speakers for my living room using some drivers I have lying around and a set of ICEpower amp modules. My remaining problem is the crossover. I have an old bunch of minidsp 2x4 + minidigi modules that I could use. However, the audio performance isn’t great...
Top Bottom