Search results

1. andreasmaaan

FOR SALE: JBL 4343 $1000 USA

JBJ 4343 Alnico Drivers Legendary Speakers Include: 2 JBL Dust Covers / 2 Oak speaker stands Price: $1000
  2. andreasmaaan

Purifi vs. Pascal - What is going on?

Ok, perhaps I misunderstood your OP, but as I understood it, you all knew which amplifiers you were listening to during these comparisons. Given the improbability of anything objective other than perhaps high-frequency response being responsible, I think you need to repeat the test - blind and...
  3. andreasmaaan

Purifi vs. Pascal - What is going on?

The noise and distortion of all these amplifiers is almost certainly below any threshold at which they might become audible. The most likely explanations are (1) that levels were not correctly matched and that your brain interpreted this as one amp sounding different from the others, (2) that...
  4. andreasmaaan

Studio standards back in the 70's - 80's period

There's a wealth of knowledge in the BBC archives. I've linked here to the 1970s archive, but you can select any decade of interest on the right left, and then scroll through the various papers and reports.
  5. andreasmaaan

will NC252MP amplifier module drive my speakers?

The average (RMS) voltage of a sinewave = peak voltage / squrt(2). Full explanation here.
  6. andreasmaaan

Harman preference curve for headphones - am I the only one that doesn't like this curve?

That will be true in some cases, but completely recording-dependent. It all depends on the relative spectra of direct sound and reflected sound in the recoridng, and the nature of the deviation in FR upon reproduction. A deviation in the reproduced FR may just as well make a recording sound...
  7. andreasmaaan

Harman preference curve for headphones - am I the only one that doesn't like this curve?

I don't see how a headphone's frequency response can give a "live" or "dead" perception per se. And I think you're glossing over an important fact regarding the Harman starting response. Although it was taken with two speakers in a room, it was taken beyond that room's critical distance, such...
  8. andreasmaaan

Vote: Which Headphones Should I Get Rid Of?

@watchnerd will the result of this poll be binding again? Lol. And have you already bought the Luxman that won the previous poll? And should I put all my future audio decisions to popular ASR vote?
  9. andreasmaaan

You're basically correct there. A DF response is a response in a highly reverberant room. The thing is, since we are dealing with headphones here, it doesn't really matter whether the response was obtained in a diffuse field or in a just-normally reflective room - if the two responses are...
  10. andreasmaaan

Ok, sure, I don't mean to suggest that "preferred" implies that it is not neutral, and I certainly don't mean to imply that it is not good. I just am hesitant to make a generalisation about the relationship between preference and neutrality that comes from one set of studies involving speakers...
  11. andreasmaaan

But this is the common misunderstanding re: the HTC. It was not derived this way at all. This is essentially the process that was followed: EQ a pair of loudspeakers in the Harman listening room so that the in-room steady state response is flat. Measure this response using a HATS (NB: the...
  12. andreasmaaan

Phono RCA to Active Speaker Balanced XLR

Haha, no, because there are many different kinds of noise and distortion, and you won't find a DAC with the same noise/distortion characteristics as your TT and the vinyls you play on it. However, if you ripped your vinyls to digital with decent gear, they would sound exactly the same as they...
  13. andreasmaaan

Phono RCA to Active Speaker Balanced XLR

Essentially, yes. Maybe $100 per unit if you wanted to be extra cautious (paranoid IMHO) about not potentially adding any audible noise/distortion with the DAC/preamp, or more than $100 if you wanted special functionality (e.g. balanced outputs, EQ, etc). It's very likely there's a real...
  14. andreasmaaan

Well, that's why I said "as a practical matter". Since headphones don't resemble listening rooms in any way whatsoever really, you have to start from somewhere. What starting point would you suggest, and why?
  15. andreasmaaan

Any downsides to coaxial design?

In addition to what others have mentioned, the optimal shape for a waveguide is not the optimal shape for a woofer cone and surround. A compromise needs to therefore be made between the two (generally, the most advanced designs essentially compromise in favour of waveguide shape, which I agree...
  16. andreasmaaan

Back in circles here, but the Harman target has nothing to do with, and was not intended to have anything to do with, neutrality. It is an average preference target. That doesn't mean it isn't reasonably neutral, but it doesn't mean it is reasonably neutral, either.
  17. andreasmaaan

Good question, but I'm not sure I can answer it, at least not on theoretical grounds. In fact, it's a bit like questions about what the most "neutral" loudspeaker directivity is, or what the most neutral listening environment is. This information is just not contained in any recording, which...
  18. andreasmaaan

I essentially agree with you here :) What I disagree with is that the Harman target is the correct degree of tilt for a neutral (i.e. what you've been calling "flat") response. FYI, the most recent Harman target (2017) has a downward tilt of approximately 11dB with respect to a flat diffuse...
  19. andreasmaaan

Ok, FWIW, having measured systems from studios to living rooms with varying levels of furnishing/treatment, and with various kinds of speakers, the slope you get from a neutral speaker (one that's flat on-axis, with nothing too strange about the dispersion characteristic) may vary from ~3dB...
  20. andreasmaaan

Ok, but my point is that: Hence my disagreement with your point...
Top Bottom