Search results

1. R

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

I set 32 bit, 192,000hz in windows and it works just fine. I dont use it as many games and such dont work correctly with 32 bit audio (not Modius fault) but if you want to for some reason rock on!
  2. R

Geshelli Lab Erish coming soon

The YouTuber fasil the wizard mentioned that Geno told him in a email that the Erish is almost a class A amp rather than a traditional class A/b amp, perhaps related to it being current based? Seems like a very interesting amplifier! All the impressions I have thus far are extremely positive...
  3. R

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Hi Amir, thanks for the review! When you measured the SPDIF did you use the dedicated power connector or the data port for power? I am wondering if the results would improve if the USB power adapter was used.
  4. R

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Motherboard Audio Review

Yeah the modern gaming motherboards put a headphone amp that only outputs to the front panel connector while the rear connector is just a straight line out. There are a few motherboards that even go so far as to have a wholy different dac that outputs to the front panel. If you are connecting...
  5. R

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Motherboard Audio Review

Thank you for measuring a modern gaming motherboard and showing why people really should invest in a amplifier for their headphones. I keep trying to tell people on reddit to stop telling everyone their motherboards are just fine and constantly get told I am horribly wrong...between the very...
  6. R

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Great to see more devices using the CS43130 chip, I am very impressed with it in the Creative G6. I actually prefer it the Modi 3. Which filter are they using with this dongle?, its got a number of them available. Also I would second the request for someone to measure the MiniDSP IL-DSP...
  7. R

Review and Measurements of Sound BlasterX G6

If you like virtual surround its worth it. Creative SBX is one of the best virtual surround DSPs for games, I think the only one really better than it is the Sennheiser GSX one. Alternatively you can try out dolby atmos for headphones for 15 bucks or windows sonic which is free. They are pretty...
  8. R

SMSL SP200: Do We Get Golden Samples For Review?

The new volume pot is a serious flaw with this. I just got mine and I cant get past 7 o clock with a Onkyo A800. A preamp/dac with volume control is 100% required for the SP200 now unless your only going to use headphones needing lots of power. Its not a good option for someone looking for a amp...
  9. R

New SMSL M300

That is great to hear! I hope Amazon Japan includes the split cable and power adapter as that would solve any concern about USB issues. Really seems to be a great deal for a AKM 4497 dac by a reliable company.
  10. R

JDS Labs Element II DAC and Headphone Amp Review

It also now has a output impedance of 10 which means its not suitable for a lot of headphones and IEMs. Element has it beat in a big way because of that factor alone. I think this would have been a killer value at 350. Its not outlandish to ask 399 but it is a tough market these days. Style...
  11. R

New SMSL M300

FOr anyone living in Japan it seems this is going to be a part of the Prime Day deals coming on November 22nd. It will sell for 22,900 yen which is a quite nice price. Roughly the $199 it went for on ebay which is the cheapest I have seen. Very tempted to get one to match to my SP200 I got...
  12. R

JDS Labs EL DAC II Review

You can ask them to implement any of the other filters offered by the AKM 4493 for you. John wrote that in a comment on the JDS blog. They are also controlling the filters via the XMOS chip now so you will be able to change the firmware to get a different filter in the futre according to John as...
  13. R

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

That is the seller I ordered mine from so guess we will find out lol. Pretty sure it is as that seller has a pretty good amount of feedback. Looks like the 257 deal is over though, back to the 289.
  14. R

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

That is true there have been a very few exceptions though those are about 11 times the price of the zen dac lol. Its a interesting theory ifi has but its reliant upon the idea of multibit doing something special. Not convinced that it does myself lol. Regardless I think the its good for the...
  15. R

Yeah if your using GTO you will lose that as well as the "bit perfect" aspect of the dac. It always shows as MQA because its basically doing some sort of strange conversion of all your music into MQA. One of the reasons I am a bit suspicious of it lol. The whole logic behind the use of the...
  16. R

The firmware you mean? 5.3 is the default one yeah so that employs the default TI filter which Amir measured here. The 5.3C version uses the GTO filter instead. It is quite awkward to need firmware updates to change the filter, but I understand its because they are using the XMOS chip to...
  17. R

Review and Measurements of SMSL SP200 THX HP Amp

This is on sale for 257 bucks on ebay with free shipping. Crazy cheap for a THX amp. I really didnt need this but I have bought it anyway lol. They also have that 10% back as ebay bucks deal so you can get 25 dollars as ebay bucks. Think this is the cheapest a THX amp has ever been.
  18. R

It uses a standard barrel type 5v adapter. I got a cheap 10 dollar 5v3a adapter off amazon that works great. The plug dimensions are "Outer diameter 0.3 inches (5.5 mm), Inner diameter 0.1 inch (2.1 mm)." You probablly already have one laying around I would guess lol. And thanks for the reply!
  19. R

Appreciate the review as usual Amir! I actually thinks it looks pretty nice in person and feels well built but maybe my tastes are different lol. Did you measure it off a USB 3.0 port or a 2.0? I find subjectively it sounds better off a 3.0 than a 2.0. Maybe it gets more power from it but I...
  20. R

Ciúnas ISO-DAC USB DAC Teardown #2

That is scary looking! A wonder it didnt catch fire! So he did indeed use a PCM5102 again. That is just such a cheap move. If you are going to design a boutique dac it needs to at least use a high end chip. Alternatively it needs to use a unusual chip that might in theory make some difference...
Top Bottom