Search results

1. T

Linn AV5125 5-channel Amplifier Review

I would love a pair of these for an active setup. Too bad they are not done by a slightly more sensible (read: cheaper) manufacturer but then it wouldn't be as eccentric and interesting. I guess I just coined the point of high end... I, as I would imagine many others with reasonable speaker...
  2. T

Spirits, what you drinking...

Don't really get coloured spirits. Why was the stuff forgotten in a barrel? Was there something wrong with it? Joking aside one of the best gins I have had is an Islay gin (The Botanist) and best "moonshine" was Irish (they obviously had a different name for it and I can't recall the producer...
  3. T

miniDSP U-DAC8 8-Channel USB DAC Review

Well, there is ESI Gigaport HD+ (Manufacturer's webpage, Thomann sells it for 89€). But oh boy, talk about obsolete tech, 16bit 48 or 44.1khz, adaptive(!) USB and very low output voltage. I use one every day. Easy USB power, matches the avr input sensitivity, is designed by a somewhat reputable...
  4. T

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

EDIT: I realized that the following is a bit offtopic but let's say this rambling is to echo the call for wireless interconnect review. Wireless interconnects are something I too have often wondered about. It is not only the problem of fidelity but also of fluctuating delay. I once thought of...
  5. T

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

In the style of Carpenter horror soundtracks (which were in the vogue for a while), Cliff Martinez's Neon Demon was something so fascinatingly creepy that I still get chills immediately from the first wobbly tones. I will probably never see the movie (not a fan of the genre and the premise is...
  6. T

Science-Based Speakers

I wanted quickly to comment about Gedlees being as good as it gets in passive speaker beam control. I recommend checking SmallSyns out. (diyaudio: SmallSyns) Basically one can array elements to push pattern loss way down from the wavequides limit. Obviously vertical is still a problem in this...
  7. T

Measurements of Motu UltraLite mk4 (AKM DAC Version)

My computer setup at the moment is not even remotely transparent enough to say anything really conclusive about the comparison files (integrated Realtek and a weird English op amp head amp using some video chips whose type number escapes me + HD650). But I did test them. It was fun. There might...
  8. T

Review and Measurements of SMSL SU-8 DAC

Eh, not surprised but still slightly disappointed. Weird that 7 reconstruction filters have changed to 9 "sound colour settings". Marketing I suppose... Thank you for looking into this anyway.
  9. T

Massdrop description talks about adjusting the levels of distortion and making your music sound different. Which seems a bit far fetched to be honest (on making the music sound different part), but perhaps doing 1 kHz thd plots with couple of different sound "colours" could show what is what. I...
  10. T

@amirm Did you have time/interest to test the different sound colour settings available? I suppose SU-8 is one of the few (only one?) to implement the on chip dsp options of the Sabre for the customer to mess with but gives no information of the actual effects. I think the previous question...
  11. T

Measurements of Motu UltraLite mk4 (AKM DAC Version)

Would you think there is any value to do a thd/frequency sweep to see if either diverges from flat? I don't seem to recall a reliable source where it was postulated that such effects could be audible (it is one of the audiophile myths for the cult of no global feedback though), but at least...
  12. T

What about the pièce de résistance: Sound colour settings? What does that even mean and do they make a measurable difference? Thumbs up for the acces to chip dsp though... Too bad about the linear(?) powersupply shenagians at this price range. Wallwart would have worked much better as in other...
  13. T

New DAC and Headphone Amp

Roger on the secret sauce. It is just fun to speculate. I like the front panel a lot. Flush headphone jack will make it look even less diy for sure. Perhaps move the dac 1 and hpa 1 to front and lose the large text in the back. Company logo is good in the back panel, but should be in a smaller...
  14. T

New DAC and Headphone Amp

If I had to guess, I might assume this is a ak4490 design with a very competent usb receiver and overall desing. (Something along the line with these "i2s over usb" boards: JLSounds) Cheap, cheerfull and high performance even for a small scale DIY. I will be most interested to see the...
  15. T

Marantz AVR 7701 DAC measurements

Was this with HDMI input or SPDIF? If HDMI, it seems this would be verging on great performance (referencing Amir's A Deep Dive into HDMI Audio Performance) at least on the jitter. USB solves the issues for my need and applications, but it just seems absurd that hdmi is, I assume purely on the...
Top Bottom