Search results

1. C

Newbie question about streamers

With your RPi you are already doing "streaming" just at a lower cost level. Do you have a USB Audio HAT board on your Pi? Or are you using the standard USB output on the RPi? The stock RPi USB port is pretty universally criticized for being very sub-par for audio output. If you are not, you are...
  2. C

Review and Measurements of CHORD Qutest DAC

I have my SoTM SMS200 Ulta connected to the Qutest via USB and my CD player connected via BNC. It’s actually an RCA S/PDIF cable and BNC adapter. I used to own a Benchmark DAC1 USB and it too only offered BNC inputs for digital S/PDIF. Both DACs came with RCA to BNC adapter.
  3. C

MinimServer questions

SoTM SMS 200 Ultra Neo supports Minim Server. It's built into the SD card carrying the OS. Included also is Roon Ready, BubbleUPnP, Squeezelite, MPD and DLNA, HQPlayer, Shareport, and LibraSpot,
  4. C

Question for @majingotan. What are you using for a source when commenting on the SQ of the Bifrost and the Apple Lightning Dac?
  5. C

Turntables?

OK, at your urging I did. I did see one Pro-Ject TT, the Carbon where folks complained about about motor noise. In the same threads I saw plenty of folks with other Pro-Ject TTs that didn't have the issue. I've never owned that brand, but from what I read it doesn't give the impression that it's...
  6. C

Turntables?

Hum can come from many sources with a TT. But generally it's not some unsolvable problem. The most common hum is due to unshielded wires/cables. The voltages coming from the cartridge are tiny and they need to be amplified before going to your pre-amp. Along the way from the tonearm to the...
  7. C

Turntables?

Both the Rega and Pro-Ject and fine starters. However, you can purchase a used Rega P2 or even P3 for the price of a new P1. The P3 would be a large improvement over the P1. And, should you decide that vinyl is not for you, it would have a good resale value online as well. Of course, eBay is...
  8. C

USB to USB Streamer ¦ Replacing a computer in an audio system

I used the SoTM SMS 200 for 9-months or so before moving to the SoTM SMS 200 Ultra. I like the SQ improvement over directly connecting my iMac to my Chord Qutest DAC via USB. Your mileage may vary. There are other choices other than network streamers - a Schiit Eitr converts USB to S/PDIF. You...
  9. C

Best Practices - using Apple's hardware & software

Assuming you do have a network setup, you access files on your two Macs over that network. Either through Airplay or via Ethernet. The Macbook connects to the network and you access the mac mini over the Ethernet. You set up iTunes on the mini to use the music folder over the network on the...
  10. C

The files available from Apple iTunes are not available as non-compressed files. It was developed for playback via iPods. It has been created... optimized... for the playback of compressed MP3 files. Don't take my word for it - search online. And why would there be dozens of programs being sold...
  11. C

I was expecting this response here. I'm fully aware of the ethos here and how things are looked at a ASR. I have experienced a much different reality, but too each his own. We do agree with each other that the Topping needs at at least CD Quality files to deliver it's SQ potential.
  12. C

iTunes as a player suffers from digital glare and is optimized for mp3 sound files. Bitperfect doesn't address this problem. Yes, in general, using Ethernet to connect the two computers is better than AirPlay. However, you probably will not hear any improvement. You said "best practices." Best...
  13. C

I've reread your post a couple of times, but I'm not completely sure what you have and what you're asking. If I understand what you are saying, Ethernet between the Mini and the Macbook Pro is vastly better than Airplay. Is your DAC a USB capable DAC? You say they are "wired" together, but...
  14. C

Best closed back, over-ear headphone under $250?

Luckily, I have no idea what the "Harman Listenting Tests" are. So, I didn't know my Meze 99 Classic headphones were such crap. Here I was thinking "I like these things." Silly me. Oh well. I'll just keep enjoying them in ignorance.
  15. C

So closed box speakers are pretty much a dead?

Don't write off the LS3/5a-type speakers so quickly. I love my Harbeth P3SER speakers. Really a great option. I have paired them with a Sub (GoldenEar ForceField 3) and find the combo to be ideal. Before these I had always used ported speakers.
  16. C

I'm taking some time going through them all. Currently I'm listening to the Orange "Warm" filter. I spent about a week with the White "Incisive Neutral" filter first.
  17. C

I have the Chord Qutest and find it a great sounding DAC. I encourage folks to give it a listen and see if they can live with unbalanced outputs and the funny lights. Perhaps you'll like it, too.
  18. C

Geshelli Labs Enog2 Pro DAC, Aune X1S review and comparison

^This. Sums up audiosciencereview.com in one simple direct sentence.
  19. C

Schiit Modi Multibit - No Love?

I'm not assuming anything. I just commented on what I like to do. So, yeah, YMMV. Of course. If something is cheap enough to sample and easily resalable for 80% of it's purchase cost it seems an easy decision. That's all I'm saying. My first stand alone dac was the battery powered Ack! dAck...
  20. C

Schiit Modi Multibit - No Love?

Thanks for that @amirm much appreciated!
Top Bottom