Search results

1. whaleboard

Amp recommendations for efficient speakers

I think I understand what you mean but my question is: let's *imagine* the tube amp powering my speakers has nothing below 100Hz. Logically, the Hypex would not receive any signal, thus, won't produce any bass by itself, correct? I'm asking because getting a SE tube amp to produce low...
  2. whaleboard

I read through the whole Hypex manual and you made it clear in a second. Thanks. But if the amp powering the speakers is not a good performer in the bass region, will it influence the Hypex bass quality?
  3. whaleboard

The speakers I'm building uses an Hypex plate-amp (FA251) which receives its signal from the passive crossover. It amplifies the bass signal, basically. The maker of the speakers says the 15W are only required for the MT section. What I understand is that the Hypex picks up a low-level signal...
  4. whaleboard

Thanks, that makes it a lot clearer. So, for bass heavy music played at a *reasonable* level, an amp with about 15 watts should do the trick with these? The role of the Hypex here is to pick up the signal from the crossover and amplify it, right? So all the amp has to do is output a clean bass...
  5. whaleboard

I might go for a Tubelab SSE build with KT88s or EL34s. It's a somewhat easy DIY build with apparently great results, has its own subforum over at diyaudio. In ultralinear mode it's able to output about 14 watts. When Troels Gravesen states that the MT part needs at least 15 watts, does he mean...
  6. whaleboard

Hey everyone, I'll be building myself a pair of The-Loudspeaker-III designed by Troels Gravesen in the near future. It's an efficient set of speakers, rated at 92db, and it requires 15W per channel. The subwoofer part is active, powered by an Hypex FA251, and fed from the crossover. I'm...
  7. whaleboard

Building big speakers – Questions and advice needed

I don't really mind copying a design. As I said, I'm not looking at building speakers routinely, I would just like to DIY a pair of the best of what 1500$ – 2000$ can get me, with the priority being that they perform very well at low volume. Aesthetics are somewhat important too. Well, I'd...
  8. whaleboard

I've read that these are geared toward rock music, and to be frank, I'd like to invest a little more and build something that'll last me longer. Aiming at a reference speaker basically, I'm ready to shell out up to 2000euros if it's really worth it. I'll just need to be patient!
  9. whaleboard

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of upgrading my listening equipment, and after much internal debates, I'd like to start by building myself a set of DIY speakers. I have allocated around 1500€ (about 1700$) for that purpose. They'll be used in a room that's quite small, my bedroom which...
  10. whaleboard

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

I've updated my Tempotec Sonata HD Pro to the latest firmware available from Tempotec's website. It has altered the sound slightly. It now sounds more neutral, whereas before it sounded warmer, and richer in the bass department. Is there a way to downgrade the firmware? I cannot find any...
  11. whaleboard

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

I'm experiencing some pops and cracks with my Sonata HD Pro plugged into my Macbook Pro Touchbar 15" using the provided USB-C to Micro-USB cable. Mainly when using Safari and browsing youtube for instance. It gets worse when I set the sample rate higher. I don't know which firmware I'm using at...
  12. whaleboard

Chord Poly / Chord 2go equivalent with a Raspberry Pi?

After some research, it seems like a DietPi setup will be the most fitting for my use case, it should work without an issue. You can add a second SD-Card slot on the Pi Zero W using the SPI method. It allows to switch cards while the Pi is working...
  13. whaleboard

Chord Poly / Chord 2go equivalent with a Raspberry Pi?

It's my first post on ASR, I've been a long time lurker. I'm amazed by the community on here, and figured some of you guys might be able to help me with a project. I intent to build an equivalent of the Chord Poly / 2go streamers using a Raspberry Pi Zero W, hooked to an E1DA 9038S via the...
Top Bottom