Search results

1. peniku8

Sennheiser HD 490 Pro Headphone Review

Would it help to measure and average a few reseats for headphone measurements in general? If you're concerned about the accuracy of the measurement due to positional variance, this seems like a sensible step to take, no?
  2. peniku8

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Nah, hes already been named Mr. Tekken, because akin to the game referenced, he is always about fighting when he shows up.
  3. peniku8

3-way speaker with double waveguide and cardioid bass

A vented speaker doesn't have meaningful output below its tuning frequency anyways, so I think it hardly matters that it isn't able to pressurize a room in the same way a sealed cabinet would. *At* its tuning frequency, the port and the cone are in sync, which means the vented speaker will...
  4. peniku8

miniDSP 2x4 HD Measurements

That is correct! ADC+Scaler. EX5 as DAC with a low-level adapter that allows me to measure dynamic range of up to 140dB.
  5. peniku8

Calling someone stupid doesn't add anything to any discussion on this forum, but what's bad about being called 'uneducated'? Do you consider yourself as 'educated' when it comes to speaker design? If so, then you surely have read Toole's book and can give me your thoughts on the part where he...
  6. peniku8

Toole's research showed us what the 'ideal' loudspeaker would look like: flat on-axis and constant DI. Combine that with a good room and you get a smoothly tilted frequency response. This 'ideal' loudspeaker would be the preference for the average person, but the word 'average' already implies...
  7. peniku8

ENGL E820 Tube Poweramplifier 2x35 Measurements

It has no 'preamp' in the sense of guitar preamps, like the typical controls you'd expect from an all-in-one guitar 'head' like an ENGL Powerball with Gain (Distortion) control, a 3-band EQ, a channel switcher for a low- and a high-gain channel and eventually a spring reverb like what is build...
  8. peniku8

ENGL E820 Tube Poweramplifier 2x35 Measurements

I unexpectedly got my hands on this interesting unit. It's a guitar amplifier, but it has no preamp so it should technically be a simple tube amp. Since it has two channels it can technically be used as a stereo home audio amplifier. If that would make sense and how it compares to actual 'hifi'...
  9. peniku8

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

The more the nearfield response deviates from the computed farfield response, the more difference this will make. Since you show normalized distortion (which is good), regions with dips that don't show in the farfield response will show elevated distortion in theory. For this speaker for...
  10. peniku8

Ah, that measurement is taken that close, that clears up this mystery then. Technically I would consider this as off-axis, since there is a point in the nearfield where both drivers align. From my experience, non horn mounted tweeters need a little (50-100μs) delay to sum with woofers at a point...
  11. peniku8

Reflections causing such a uniform and wide dip in the measurement would be quite weird. I don't think this is due to the room, unless some object is *very* close to the speaker (so close that it would be inside the NFS's operating range).
  12. peniku8

Glad to read about them getting and using the NFS, that's great news! I looked at the linearity test and wondered how that large ~3KHz dip manifested. Might the mic not have been on axis? From the directivity plot it looks like it could've been a little too low for that specific test maybe. Same...
  13. peniku8

I can repeat the last test with a lower frequency stimulus, sure.
  14. peniku8

Here is a full set of measurements of the miniDsp 2x4 HD that I purchased a few years ago. The version I have is the old revision. I tested the device as ADC, DAC (both in unbalanced and in balanced operation) and as standalone unit with dsp on and dsp off. Digital connection was over USB...
  15. peniku8

KEF R11 Meta Tower Speaker Review

If the agreement between your own relative measurements is +-1.5dB due to room noise then you should stop publishing measurements until you fixed that. But it isn't. It's much higher and it seems to me like we're not on the same page with what we're talking about. Again, this is a relative...
  16. peniku8

Yes, sorry for not clarifying. I was refering to the peak output figures, since that's the data that you'll find when looking for CTA-2010, not continuous output data.
  17. peniku8

Fair enough, but this is a different process and a different metric. And of course the data presentation of giving a single number (SPLmuco) does not help us in the scope of the prior discussion. Nobody publishes this data because it's useless for broadband speakers imo. It's somewhat useful for...
  18. peniku8

This accuracy concern is valid in an absolute sense, but when you're taking compression sweeps, this is a relative comparison. You're changing nothing but the input volume of the DUT. An accuracy of ± 1.5 dB in this context would be terrible. Also, I'm not sure I follow why you quote the...
  19. peniku8

Ah of course it's Klippel, idk why my mind was on AP there. We use different scales for different purposes, just as you use a different scale to show distortion, a different scale should also be used for compression. Different scales don't exaggerate the graphs&effects, they make them easier to...
  20. peniku8

That's a bit of a long shot.. :D Anyways, looks like a really great speaker and I'm glad to see the inclusion compression sweeps, altho stepped sines would be better for this (especially for active speakers). @amirm is there a quick and easy way in the AP software to normalize these to the...
Top Bottom