Search results

1. T.T.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 V2 - Review & Measurements by Erin

thank you for the swift response, I appreciate that you distinguish between different sensitivities, and it does makes sense of course. But it seems the approach is not the same for all manufacturers, so it makes the comparisons a bit confusing. Still when I compare the same measurement (e.g...
  2. T.T.

agreed, I would trade high sensitivity for flat FR every time, especially now when powerful amps are so affordable, but they should not say it is 87db. I see it is an industry standard to overstate the sensitivity, but they seem to be measurement oriented, so it was a bit surprising.
  3. T.T.

except for the grille mount holes, it looks almost perfect for the price. But I am surprised no one picked up on the low sensitivity, 81.5db is maybe the lowest I have seen (especially when the spec says 87). I would not mind much, as I listen at low volume 90% of the time, but still made me...
  4. T.T.

Nuprime IDA-8 DAC measurements

if they did what they promise to do... :) Based on my research the most effective and also the cheapest way is the galvanic isolation, if you prefer using Nuprime ASIO driver (PC recognizes Nuprime directly), but the bandwidth is limited and it is not 100% stable. I currently use SMSL converter...
  5. T.T.

Schiit Loki Mini+ Equalizer Review

this must be the most disappointing review/thread I read so far on this site. Not because of the result, but because of the esteemed reviewer's failure to reconsider or even admit the possibility of wrong interpretation of the measurements. It made quite a dent in my confidence in Amir's...
  6. T.T.

I can confirm it still works after >3.5 years :) But I will reiterate the hum issue, the power supply seems very sensitive, it is worst when washing machine is on. I also had problems when I switched to Intel NUC, which caused ground loop and terrible coil whine getting to speakers. I have to...
  7. T.T.

thanks for sharing your experience. Seems like I can't expect longevity, shame, I had hoped I had settled for next decade at least. I also get ground loop hum when I connect TV via HDMI while using USB as audio source. It is quite rare scenario for me, so not a big problem. I tried galvanic...
  8. T.T.

PS: regarding the line-out noise, I am not judging based on the measurements. I tried to use it for double stereo, line-out to another amp with IDA-8 volume set to very low. As it is variable line-out, it required quite high volume on the other amp and it was a bit too noisy for that kind of...
  9. T.T.

I decided to share my view on this device, as obviously there were no responses to this limited review and perhaps there are other potential buyers looking for information. I did not buy it though based on any review, I was a long time user of Nuforce Icon-2 amplifier (diminutive class-D desktop...
  10. T.T.

Small amp for my desktop setup

sorry for misinformation, I did not remember that IDA-6 does not have USB input, only optical and coaxial. It was not a deal breaker for me as my main PC has both optical and coaxial output. But I can imagine it can be a problem, I recently switched to a passive mini PC which does not have either.
  11. T.T.

indeed not many reviews, here is one from Poland: https://www.hfc.com.pl/test/2989,nuprime-ida-6.html Originally I wanted to buy IDA-6 but it was not available at the time and I was offered a great discount on IDA-8. I did not pick it based on reviews, I was long time user of diminutive...
  12. T.T.

I forgot about headphones, you would need separate device for them, so it is not a complete solution
  13. T.T.

both include DAC, so you connect PC via USB directly. IDA-6 has a jack instead of RCA input, but you can bi-amp your speakers and is much cheaper. Both also have bluetooth dongle option, so you may not need to connect any other device, I don't. It is a complete solution.
  14. T.T.

NuPrime IDA-6 or IDA-8 (I use one on my desktop)
  15. T.T.

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

UPDATE #5: it's been more than 5 weeks (approx. 200 listening hours) with the new pair, I had the first pair for roughly the same time. Firstly I must say that I never believed in extra long burn-in/break-in time and I inclined to the idea of ears/brain adjusting to the sound. I still do, but it...
  16. T.T.

sure, I understand. I was just wondering whether the two peaks I measured were responsible for the extra crunchiness and sparkle I heard. I was able to smoothen it a bit by reducing toe-in (almost completely) and putting on grilles
  17. T.T.

I measured the response to linear sweep (via phone, distance 1m, pointed at tweeter). What do you think about the peaks around 2khz and 6khz?
  18. T.T.

what exactly was wrong with the sound? The tweeter grilles on my speakers are aligned properly, no gaps, but are not super firm in the position, I can take them off very easily. I removed them, there were few moments I thought it sounded a bit cleaner, but need to give it more rounds to...
  19. T.T.

the first pair I enjoyed the most when pointed directly at my head or just sligthly behind. second pair almost no toe-in, also tried the fabric grilles, still too much. Tweeter grilles sit tightly. I listen at quite low volume, nearfield.
  20. T.T.

be sure that returning products is not something I like to do. But the first pair had clear defect and the seller agreed with their distrubutor they would accept the claim (and we agreed on the exchange after that). It did not prevent me from enjoying the music, but it was there... I don't like...
Top Bottom