Search results

1. E

Is distortion in electronics meaningful ?

I'm speculating, but I'd say most of the frequent visitors to this forum look at measurements more for signs of excellence in engineering than from the perspective of audibility. That said, a while back forum member @flipflop compiled a bunch of audibility research into a post titled...
  2. E

PS Audio Noise Harvester AC Cleaner Review

Here's my Monster Power AVS 2000 and PowerCenter HTS 5000 "with clean power stage four filtering". Recently I pulled out my Rigol 1054Z and a differential voltage probe to measure the AC mains both at the wall and after passing through the Monster stuff. The wave forms going in and coming...
  3. E

Speaker Sensitivity: Advertised vs Measured

I used @MZKM's data to create a stacked bar chart with the speakers sorted by measured sensitivity. When the measured sensitivity was the same as or higher than the claimed value I didn't bother to display it.
  4. E

AISO Driver issue

Have a look at this thread for a good discussion of the differences between ASIO and WASAPI: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kernel-streaming-asio-wasapi-and-music-players-foobar-jriver.7412/#post-171098
  5. E

Gain problem with speakers and passive preamp.

Have you considered using a traditional preamp rather than the Mackie Big Knob? The Schiit Freya S tested very well and it's on Amir's recommended list. The Freya may cost more than the Big Knob, but it will give you a lot more flexibility. You get the choice of passive or active and you get the...
  6. E

ESS THD ‘Hump’ Investigation

I believe the DAC chip in the Topping D10 is actually an ESS9018K2M. Amir's measurements of the D10 do not show the ESS hump:
  7. E

Alternative method for measuring distortion

Math does allow us to quantify the information content of a signal. Claude Shannon showed us how by giving us a formula for entropy. I thought I would try using Shannon's formula to calculate the entropy of a dithered file and compare it to a non-dithered version of the same signal. I made two...
  8. E

Source computer's HUGE effect on fidelity

Funny. Amir actually reviewed a similar wood "ground box" here. Maybe not surprisingly--it actually increased noise because the ground wire connected to it acted like an antenna.
  9. E

Yamaha A-U671 Integrated Amp & DAC Review

Does that mean the AP feeds the Yamaha's analog line in with a voltage in of 0.1587 V? I'm assuming that V out is given by And that you can solve for V in like so Do I have that right?
  10. E

SONCOZ SGD1 Audio DAC Review

Yes, the knob does adjust the volume.
  11. E

Minidsp U-DIO8 USB to AES Converter Review

Topping D10. It's a DAC, but you can also use it as a USB to S/PDIF or TOSLINK interface. $89 US. I have 2 and they've been rock solid.
  12. E

Dithering is a Mathematical Process - NOT a psychoacoustic process.

64-bit sample depth? What are you recording over there, gravitational waves? ;) If I did the math right 64 bits should get you to -385 dB or 5.42e-18 %. Sprinkle in some dither and and you're almost there.
  13. E

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

Sure. I'm not an expert, but I can share what worked for me on the x64 version of 18.04.4 LTS. First if you don't already have wine installed then install wine-stable 4.0.3 from Ubuntu's app store. If Wine is installed and you have downloaded and extracted the DeltaWave installer, then you...
  14. E

Beta-test: DeltaWave Null Comparison software

I know there are quite a few Linux users on ASR so I thought I'd share that I was able to run @pkane's DeltaWave on Ubuntu using Wine. I didn't do much compatibility testing, but I was able to compare a couple of wav files without issue. DeltaWave 1.0.50 Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS Wine 4.0.3 (64-bit...
  15. E

Huh. I would've thought if you've seen one 1kHz test tone you've seen them all--but I would've been wrong. I went and grabbed the two test CDs I have: A Denon Hi-Fi Check CD from 1992 and an Alpine Reference CD from 1988. I ripped both discs' 1kHz tracks to my hard drive for comparison. The...
  16. E

If I wanted to treat financial data like an analog signal that I needed to digitize, and I was limited to a certain number of bits to represent each sample, then yes I would want to apply dither.
  17. E

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

Wow. I had to test this, and sure enough, it's like mathematical magic. I used SoX to generate two wav files. Both files were 1kHz sine waves with an amplitude of -101dBFS sampled at 48kHz with 16 bits/sample. The first wav file was encoded with SoX's dithering disabled. The second one was...
  18. E

I know several others in this thread have already shared various graphics and plots illustrating the effects of dither, but I was inspired to try my hand at it, so here's one more for the pile. I used SoX to generate dithered and non-dithered versions of a 1kHz sine wave sampled at 384kHz with...
  19. E

40K preamp measurements

It looks like it runs on steam power
Top Bottom