Search results

1. Ron Texas

Why Biquads?

By default MiniDSP products accept biquad filters generated by REW. Other than the convenience of being able to import these values into a MiniDSP product, what is the technical advantage of a biquad over a regular PEQ IIR filter?
  2. Ron Texas

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

https://nypost.com/2024/03/12/business/your-car-is-spying-on-you-and-upping-your-insurance-rates-report/ https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2024/03/15/765068.htm Short story: automotive telemetry systems are collecting data on rapid acceleration, sudden stops, speeding and selling...
  3. Ron Texas

The Laptop Thread

I'm going to start off with a generality. Laptops are at least an order of magnitude harder to design, manufacture and select than desktop computers. Weight, power consumption, screen size, trackpad, keyboard, cooling, CPU, GPU and memory all present difficulties not present in desktop computers...
  4. Ron Texas

Nannies and Spyware

I have noticed an alarming trend of data gathering enabled by technology. Most cars sold in the US now have telemetry. On GM it's OnStar. Stellantis has connected services. I don't know what Ford calls it, but articles I read suggest they have the most intrusive system which records when and...
  5. Ron Texas

plug-in for MiniDSP 2x4hd

I have a MiniDSP 2x4HD on order. Which plug-in do I need to download? It will be used in a 2.2 system. I assume the right one is the 2x4 advanced, but I want to be sure>
  6. Ron Texas

Does a Passive Crossover Have Signal Delay?

Does a typical passive crossover network of resistors, capacitors and inductors delay the signal? What would be the typical delay in milliseconds for a 12 dB/octave network? Has anyone measured this for the original LS50 loudspeaker?
  7. Ron Texas

Music Bee Anyone?

I've been playing around with Music Bee. My daily driver player is foobar2000. Music Bee has an album cover oriented interface as opposed to Foobar2000 which is playlist and text oriented. True, it's possible to get album covers displayed in FB2K, but a good result has eluded me. Maybe someone...
  8. Ron Texas

Selena Boom Box Anyone?

I'm sure this features the lates in music reproduction technology including Dutch designed class D amplification and active loudspeakers, LOL
  9. Ron Texas

Epic Road Trips

Mrs. T and I are on a road trip in my Wrangler. We started out in Houston did an overnight in Lubbock then proceeded to Santa Fe NM where we spend 6 nights. There was 200 mile loop through Taos NM. The latest leg was from Santa Fe to Breckenridge Colorado. Lubbock and the other cities in West...
  10. Ron Texas

All About UFO's

https://www.foxnews.com/us/crashed-las-vegas-ufo-witness-terrified-by-8-foot-creatures-in-his-backyard-100-not-human This thread is for anything pertaining to UFO's. It can be news articles like above, speculation or even satire.
  11. Ron Texas

A Million Dollar Audio System

https://www.stereophile.com/content/estelon-and-vitus-audio-lead-way-million-dollar-system I noticed this over at The Stereophile in their coverage of Axpona 2023. This is over the top with $330,000 of cables and amps which need powered equipment to move. You can't listen to music without gear...
  12. Ron Texas

Crapware

I bought a laptop, Lenovo brand. It was loaded with crapware. I clicked and uninstalled it. One program would not uninstall. It was some kind of audio enhancer which promised surround sound with only 2 channels. I wish that I had written the name down. It began with an "N". After some...
  13. Ron Texas

Should There be Energy Efficiency Rules for Amplifiers?

Unless you are living in a cave, you have probably noticed that a bunch of energy efficiency rules were just proposed in the US. These cover, motor vehicles, lightbulbs, gas furnaces and gas cooking appliances among other things. Climate, health and air pollution benefits are claimed for these...
  14. Ron Texas

How Dangerous is AI?

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/ai-expert-warns-elon-musk-signed-letter-doesnt-enough-literally-everyone-earth-will-die Elon Musk and 1000 other luminaries signed a letter calling for a 6 month pause in AI development. An AI expert now says that's not enough and the annihilation of humanity is the...
  15. Ron Texas

The Death of Windows 10

When Windows 10 came out it was billed as the final version of windows. Upgrades from Windows 7 were free. Windows 11 was released with free upgrades from Windows 10, but there was a complication. The computer was required to have TPM 2.0. Microsoft has announced it will stop updating Windows 10...
  16. Ron Texas

Absent for a While

I have been absent for a while. It's not just here. My involvement in several hobby related internet forums is down to nothing. With respect to ASR I found the technical discussions becoming repetitive. After all, there is only so many ways to cut and slice the great work of Toole and Olive. The...
  17. Ron Texas

Prayers for Florida

Hurricane Ian is closing in on Florida and is expected to cause massive flooding and wind damage. My prayers go out to all those in the affected areas, first responders and government officials responsible for protecting lives and property. This is the worst storm to hit the Tampa area in 100 years.
  18. Ron Texas

Is Crypto Dead?

This afternoon Bitcoin dove below $20,000 and Etherium is below $1,000. It's been a tough year for stocks (except oil companies) and bonds too. I don't think the world is falling apart, but most days it feels that way. So, is crypto dead? It's probably below the level where mining it is profitable.
  19. Ron Texas

Oil Change Intervals Objectively

I have an ICE car which is driven about 2000 miles per year. Use is split between short and long trips in a warm climate. It came with synthetic blend oil but now runs full synthetic. Everything I could find says never go more than a year between oil changes without regard to mileage. However, I...
  20. Ron Texas

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

https://www.techradar.com/news/smartphones-will-kill-off-the-dslr-within-three-years-says-sony I think this is half true. Low end DSLR/mirrorless cameras will go away. The AI features of smartphones can be incorporated into larger cameras. I have already seen an article criticizing the latest...
Top Bottom