Search results

1. samwell7

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

That's a great summary, thank you! I don't think any active noise cancelling headphones would be safe to use with loud equipment as it's still pushing high SPL into the ears - old fashioned noise isolation (or mechanical, as you referred to it as) is definitely the way.
  2. samwell7

Thanks for that! I've looked at those specific headphones before and nearly bought a set a while ago. The Etymotics block practically all noise when I'm using electric tools and woodworking equipment, I think it might be the low frequencies from the engine causing issues!
  3. samwell7

Ha! Yes even with a complete seal (using smallest ear tips), I'm pretty sure they're the kids Etymotics though, they were given to me so I don't know the part number - definitely smaller than my old MC5s though. Unfortunately battery mowers aren't quite where they need to be for ride-ons...
  4. samwell7

Can confirm the Apple one not as loud. This is why I ended up buying a Google USB-C to 3.5mm adaptor this weekend (phone is a Pixel 7), I couldn't get podcasts loud enough to hear clearly while mowing the lawn using my Etymotics.
  5. samwell7

KOSS Porta Pro Review (On-ear Headphone)

Thanks for the review @amirm! I've been pretty quiet on this forum (well, every audio forum) for a while and these headphones are the reason why (plus the fact I had to go back into the office so I no longer have a home setup with a headphone amp). As soon as I gave the portapros a good trial...
  6. samwell7

*NEW* AKG K702 has been measured by Oratory!

Well done @Robbo99999! Good to see the results and a usable EQ
  7. samwell7

Which headphone(s) of "inferior prestige" do you come always back to?

I can't buy them in Aus :( they come up occasionally from Amazon US at around 100AUD, I might need to buy them when they're available next. They almost seem to be the closed back PortaPro (cheap, well regarded, fun, comfortable etc.)
  8. samwell7

Which headphone(s) of "inferior prestige" do you come always back to?

Audio Technica ATH-M50, I've tried and sold so many headphones but the M50s have stuck around, and put up with so much abuse from my toddlers. Also any of the 'big 3' from Koss (PortaPro, KSC75 with Yaxi pads and parts express headband and the kph-30i). I'm currently getting rid of all my open...
  9. samwell7

Cheapest over-ears headphones with some sound quality?

I can only find the CAL! 2 for sale in Australia , apparently they aren't as good but I really want to try the CAL!
  10. samwell7

Cheapest over-ears headphones with some sound quality?

I love my PortaPros, they changed my viewpoint on headphones and audio a bit.
  11. samwell7

$9 Headphone Review: Sony MDR-ZX110

I got a set of these (and the noise cancelling version) to try as I needed a cheap closed-back to offer some isolation when I'm working from home as a backup set. The Koss PortaPro, KSC75 (especially with Yaxi pads and a parts express headband) and/or KPH30i all offer far better sound at a...
  12. samwell7

Recommendation request thread

Good stuff! Let us all know what you end up getting and how you like it
  13. samwell7

I don't use EQ so all the impressions I have previously written are out of the box. The AKG K7 series respond well to EQ though!
  14. samwell7

Yeah the K712 is definitely an improvement over the K702 although they're a lot more expensive in the US which is why I didn't originally suggest it. The treble was still a bit much for me on the K712. I don't think the K7xx is as good from some things I've read, I think it may use the K702...
  15. samwell7

I was going to say a HD600 but the soundstage on a HD650 is a bit better, I've found it to be a realistic sound. I'd suggest trying the HD600/HD650 if you can. The AKG K702 responds very well to EQ but the soundstage may be a bit too big. Fostex T50RP mk3 is also worth a try
  16. samwell7

Good thread here discussing lower-cost IEMs
  17. samwell7

4-conductor headphone cable

Yeah it is 4 conductor as you want - the two separate grounds are bonded on the 1/4" TRS. A lot of people use the stock HD650 cable and re-terminate it with a balanced XLR connector (or similar) as the stock cable is cheap, well built and has low handling noise.
  18. samwell7

4-conductor headphone cable

Looks the same as the HD650 cable just terminated differently on the headphone end
  19. samwell7

Audio Technica ATH-M50X Review (Closed Headphone)

Fair enough, I must have just got lucky with mine!
Top Bottom