Search results

1. MDAguy

Can you hear the difference?

Ok, we've established (on here at least) that DACs more or less sound the same with in reason.. How about Violins? Do they sound the same? Thoughts?
  2. MDAguy

playback of DSD file via my DAC on Roon... question ..

So I downloaded some DSD128 music (NativeDSD) .. the sound is amazing indeed... taken from analog masters and recorded in the mid 1970's at the St. Josephs Oratory on the largest mechanical pipe organ in North America.. Anyway, I noticed that the DSD was (if I understand this correctly)...
  3. MDAguy

Why I don't buy re-masters..

Lately I've been on a kick to get rid of any re-master music I have and get original masters... it occurred to me a while ago, that the reason I hated so much of the music released in the 90's and 2000's is that it's just too darn loud... I remember thinking that I liked certain songs (Green...
  4. MDAguy

Any Blue Öyster Cult fans on here?

I got a kick out of this .. you might too.
  5. MDAguy

It all starts with a great recording!

First off Merry Christmas! This is a great video I came across... the absolute biggest variable to how great a record sounds is in the engineering and production...
  6. MDAguy

1982 video introducing the CD ...

This is a gem... I especially love the part around 5:30 where he reminds us that we're listening on a conventional TV, so we can't appreciate the quality.... Reminds me of the guys posting up videos of Hi-Fi systems and then remind us that we're hearing it thru the YouTube algorithm and...
  7. MDAguy

snake oil or science? new from Furtech...

I'd love to know what people think of this.... at first glance, it's not the same nonsense as the PSAudio "noise harvester" which is the most oily stuff I've ever seen... https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/08/29/furutech-ncf-clear-line-power-supply-optimizer-review/
  8. MDAguy

Amp broke

Ok, am I asking too much for a $9000 amp to have something better than a 88 cent IEC connector? The darn thing cracked (amp is less than 2 months old) after I bumped the cable while moving a few cables around... Suffice it to say, it's a piece of cake to replace, and I went ahead and ordered 3...
  9. MDAguy

Are feet / still points necessary (even a little)?

So I know we've had a few debates recently about audio cables making an SQ difference, with the consensus being no... I'm curious what people have to say about these? I personally think they look cool (as I do the cables), and would get them purely for the "cool factor" as I have done with...
  10. MDAguy

Amp (other electronics) re-furbish guy on YouTube a scam?

So YouTube has been recommending videos by this guy who goes by the name Mr. Electricity ... as I watch his stuff, other stuff is being recommended and it seems they're using his style of video to restore stuff that just seems impossible. The first two videos I am posting are an example of...
  11. MDAguy

New Mac Pro might have 32 core M1..

Just read that Apple is working on a 32 Core (M2 variety) CPU that will power the new MacPro sometime mid next year.. I assume the M1X or M2 will make a debut in the MacBook Pro first, sometime next year also.. Based on the numbers I've seen so far, this M1 seems to be a game changer...
  12. MDAguy

How loud do you listen (loudspeaker users)?

No sure how this could work for headphone users (reading off the dB), so I'm limiting my question to loudspeaker users that can read dB with either a meter, or an app. As it sank in how much of my hearing I've lost in the last 30 years. The army tested my hearing at age 20, and I was able to...
  13. MDAguy

Sample rates above 44.1 are actually bad for tone?

So in my never ending desire to learn the ins and outs of anything to do with my audio hobby, and especially in the digital realm where I have absolutely little to no background, I came across this little gem on YouTube... Assuming this guy is right, and his science seems solid to this novice...
  14. MDAguy

You know you're a hardcore audio junkie when...

I found this on Facebook... had to share.
  15. MDAguy

DAC (or other source) output voltage (into preamp) - what is best?

Ok, I'm just gonna keep on tapping into the braintrust on this forum for good advice... advise that I frankly trust more than the dealers selling me stuff and making a profit on it.. my DAC has the ability to run at 4 different output voltages (0.2v, 0.6v, 2.0v, or 6.0v) ... piggybacking on...
  16. MDAguy

Inserting a component between amp and pre-amp ...

So, after a lot of racking my mind on how best to install a new DSP I've got on order (Accuphase DG-68)... I've come to the conclusion that I will be installing it as per their recommendation, which is after the pre-amp and before the amp. It will be connected via XLR balance cables and...
  17. MDAguy

Adding a component with an AD/DA stage downstream from your DAC...‍♂️

So I listen in a smallish room (Can't change that for a multitude of reasons) with some acoustic issues, nothing too bad, but I'm trying to achieve the best possible sound in this room... ... a friend brought his DSP (Accuphase DG-58) over and we tried it out, and it made a noticeable and...
  18. MDAguy

Dither button on or off with the word clock?

Hi all, new member here, and hoping to learn a lot from some of you... and of course opinionate on occasions.... Anyone have any idea whether it's better to run your word clock with the dither button on vs off? dCS, who make mine told me to just push it and leave it engaged, but the nerd in...
  19. MDAguy

Seeking some "sound" advice on installing DSP into my system..

Hi all, new to the forum but I have been told this was the place to come find no-nonsense advice from people who know the ins and outs of the digital and analogue chain / signal and processing... So here is my situation... I've got a decent Hi-Fi system that I mostly (80%) use for streaming...
Top Bottom