Search results

1. R

JBL Array 880 Review (Center Speaker)

Hmmmm, I don't understand having a HT system "for one person". It sounds like a person sitting in a dark room by himself and never has anyone visit. The scrooge type that sits on the porch and yells at people to stay off the lawn. :D Personally, I have these other people in my abode and she...
  2. R

KEF LS50 META!

I just keep thinking Facebook now... I'm sure KEF is thrilled with Mark Z right about now. D'oh! ;)
  3. R

How important is doubling down power to 2 ohm or 1ohm on Hi Fi Speakers on high dynamic range music?

1812 Overture? The sonic boom from the double-loaded cannons at the end resonate down to 8 Hz. How many two-channel type speakers can actually go down to 8Hz accurately and at high volume? Well, that would be a spec to shoot for that is useless in reality. The right way is to use subwoofers...
  4. R

Separates vs Integrated

amp/pre VS integrated... First up, delete the audiophile foo about "packing too much stuff in a box"--that made sense 50 years ago but not a factor now IF properly designed. Personally, if I was going to lay out 4 figures for something, I'd go seperates because it allows for more flexibility...
  5. R

Bagby Mandolin DIY Speaker Review

Very interesting, OK, off-set the tweeter a bit and do a round over along the space baffle. Tune it to 38Hz--port resonance. Just spitballing here (don't light the torches yet!) I ponder if by throwing a passive radiator on the back (the kind CSS sells that are adjustable tuned from the...
  6. R

Synergistic Research apparently at "war" against Gene from Audioholics

If you are crazy enough to blow 30 grand on a piece of wire because advertising told you to do so--you deserve to get taken to the cleaners. Ignorance used to be an excuse but anyone can check anything electrical on engineering websites--search function is a critical skill. I can't feel sorry...
  7. R

What's your dream system?

Hook me up to the Neuralink brain implant, No speakers, no screens required as it is direct brain connection to bypass my old body parts. Time to market is 4 to 9 years at a cost of $2,000 to $4,000 for installation. So there you go, the "end game" is in site so I don't need to chase something...
  8. R

Are Youtube reviews of audio gear only allowed to be presented by dudes?

How come women are not into audio like men are? How come women are not into mountain biking like men are? How come women are not into street racing as much as men are? How come women are not exactly like men? Because, BIOLOGY baby! Sorry, the human species shares many of the same traits as...
  9. R

Audiophoolery humour thread

Think of it this way, there are around 8 Billion people on this rock and you can't elevate the world by yourself. I will tend to point them in the right direction (compare against everything else on the planet and universe) if they continue, I smile, wave and avoid that person. Never argue...
  10. R

Audiophoolery humour thread

Thanks for the memories, Ran into one of those unsufferable audiophile types back in the day--he started jabbering on about burn in or something. I replied that I use Mil-spec components because they don't require burn in. He looked confused, told him that mil-spec does not need burn in...
  11. R

Steve Guttenberg Doesn't Believe in Law of Diminishing Returns?

Yes to both. Would I purchase a 10K amp for home use? Absolutely not, it is not required. If I was running a multi-amp PA system, it is rather easy to blow past $10K without breathing hard but I don't have Danleys at my house. Would I be amused if I had a PowerSoft, LABGruppen or DSL...
  12. R

JBL CBT 70J-1 Review (Constant Beam Transducer)

Thanks for the information, Archaea! I get asked questions about those monsters in the garage--generally "compensating for something?", why they are what they are and so on. Yes, I built them because I wanted to play around with line arrays--I did and they do what I need a garage speaker to...
  13. R

JBL CBT 70J-1 Review (Constant Beam Transducer)

I built a pair of three-way line arrays around 8 years ago, Companies were dumping neodynmium drivers like the plague so I purchased crates of them to screw around with line arrays. Initially, went for a dozen 5 inch woofers and 36 then 48 tweeters (10mm ones) in a 6 foot line. That didn't...
  14. R

Giving manufactures the benefit of the doubt

Hmmmm, Looking at the top 1,000 things governments worry about...stupid things like water, food, shelter, economics, healthcare, roads, infrastructure....working my way down the list...., chemicals, electrical safety....down to diapers, make up safety.... standards for mesurement.... Sorry...
  15. R

Kind of rant regarding what speakers to buy, environmentalism etc.

OK, I'll bite! A teenager I know wanted a "solar powered PA system" you could say. Those are the most "eco friendly" of sound sysems since the first priority of the is to concerve very limited (and variable) power while providing the maximum SPL attainable. This means high, ultra-high...
  16. R

AHB2 real world power output - enough?

Here is the equation I used for speakers Single guy + whisky + women + AC/DC (or heavy metal/EDM) = Hangover, trashed room and blown speakers. :( Back in my mispent youth, I had a pair of 87dB bookshelves and a sub and it sounded great...until playing around 80 watt peaks for a period of...
  17. R

Why has Audio (and maybe all hobbies) become so hostile?

So there I was.... Lived in the country of Turkey for a few years, hung out with a Kurdish guy and he helped me with the mine fields of traditions, beliefs and other cultural oddities. I did notice the Turks made very ornate shot guns, a work of art if you will. Asked him what they did with...
  18. R

EVGA NU Audio Pro Review (Internal Sound Card)

Nice review! I am pondering building a HTPC that is capable of light gaming to replace my AVR. This will allow me to have all my gizmos in one box that I can easily upgrade when desired. Amps are amps are amps but the biggest hassle is the constant HDMI upgrades, various TV tech and whatever...
  19. R

KEF KC-62 defies physics??

Very easy! Using the calculator, you need two 6.5 inch drivers with 7.55 inches of Xmax--basically, a 15 inch stroke and done! :D Alas, you have been a victim of smoke and mirrors--KEF never claimed it puts out 105dB at 11 Hz. No! They claimed a peak output of 105dB on one line and a...
  20. R

Electrostatic speakers?

The last time I checked, "wet" was the opposite of "dry"---or, moist if it is "less wet". (Checked with my wife, she agrees) I'm lazy, I just call it "accurate" or "excessive/lean highs/mids/bass etc. My EQ does not have a slider for "boomy", "dry", "shiny", "airy" etc. I do live sound...
Top Bottom