Search results

1. brachypelma44

Review and Measurements of Monoprice THX Desktop DAC & Amp

I don't know. I liked mine so much that I bought another one for a different room in the house. An awful lot of people listen at their PCs, I think, so a hardware EQ isn't of any use to them when they can do it just as effectively in software. You get more use out of that feature if you're...
  2. brachypelma44

Recommend Amp and DAC for Hifimen Sundara

I have a Monolith THX 788 for each of my Sundaras. It's a simple all-in-one package amp/DAC/EQ, and it has the inputs and outputs that work for me. Sounds phenomenal to my ears.
  3. brachypelma44

Help me act rationally about headphones

Owning the Sundara is very rational. IIRC, they're the next step up from the HE4XX. Incredible sound for the price, IMO. (With EQ and amp, of course.) Scratch that itch. You may love planar magnetic headphones.
  4. brachypelma44

What Headphones Do You Own Ready to Send to Amir for Testing at His Request

Does evil McDonald's have a goatee the same way evil Spock had a goatee on Star Trek?
  5. brachypelma44

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

I have a very limited frame of reference, because I've only tried 3 models of headphones, but one thing I can say for sure: the Drop 6XX is overrated to me because they are literally painful to wear. After ~8 weeks of wearing them in, gently bending the metal parts of the headband outward, and...
  6. brachypelma44

Headphone Recommendations

My wife and I love the Sundara (EQed with the oratory1990 settings for the 2020 revised, with a little more bass than his settings) so much that I ended up buying 3 of them...one for her on the laptop, one for me in the office, and one more in the home theater room. I cannot believe how good...
  7. brachypelma44

Hifiman Sundara vs Ananda

Depends on the use case, and on how good they sound from that device. If they can be EQed with an app, that will make a much bigger difference in the way that they sound than buying another DAC/amp.
  8. brachypelma44

Headphones for Classical Music

Topic needs more (properly amped and EQed) Sundara.
  9. brachypelma44

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

I don't fit the use case for them. I never need to isolate the sound to only my ears.
  10. brachypelma44

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

I've never tried closed-back headphones. I've only bought 3 models of open back headphones (6XX, X2, Sundara) and I find the Sundara to be the most comfortable. No problems with my glasses, either. My wife tried all three, and came to the same conclusion, so I bought her a Sundara as well.
  11. brachypelma44

Most Beautiful Headphone designs

Not very exotic or expensive, but I love the way the Sundara looks. Simple and clean.
  12. brachypelma44

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Also, I should have specified the 2020 version with the updated pads, as that's what they'll be selling from now on.
  13. brachypelma44

Headphone amp with build-in EQ?

Monolith THX 788 is a DAC/amp/EQ in one unit. Regular price is $499. 1 low shelf, 1 high shelf, and 5 PEQ settings. It goes +/-6 db on them.
  14. brachypelma44

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

The X3 got more or less thrashed in the youtube reviews that I watched. I think Zeos gave it the most positive review, but the gist of it was "it barely sounds any better than the X2HR, which is less than half of the price."
  15. brachypelma44

Philips Fidelio X2HR Review (headphone)

Me too. I checked, and mine were purchased at the end of 2014.
  16. brachypelma44

Top Choice for SE Solid State Amp

What is your budget? End game amps might be $200 for one person and $2000 for another.
  17. brachypelma44

Upgrade from Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohm

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/list-of-amirs-headphone-peq-filters.18590/ I use PEACE on my PC. Easy to use and understand. If you want to try multiple EQ settings to see what you like best, you can get them from here...
  18. brachypelma44

Upgrade from Beyer DT990 Pro 250 ohm

Absolutely EQ it if you haven't already. You may be happy with how they sound and decide to stick with them. If you try that and you're still looking for something different, it might be worth trying a planar HP as another poster suggested. I recently got my first pair (Hifiman Sundara, which...
  19. brachypelma44

HD 6XX vs. Fidelio X2HR

The main point of buying them would be to drive them with a portable device, IMO. I don't find that they sound much different with desktop EQ/amp vs running them directly off of my tablet.
Top Bottom