Search results

1. Pretorious

Spending big bucks on HiFi Audio

Indeed you and I are in the same page. I also am not a Sonos, Bose, whatever fanboy, but I enjoy playing devil’s advocate when it’s necessary. There seems to be an automatic dismissal of their products or types of products when most everything sounds quite good nowadays. I must admit I find that...
  2. Pretorious

Indeed! I feel that there needs to be a community or section on ASR that focuses on simplicity and convenience in addition to good sound.
  3. Pretorious

I cannot overemphasize this. It is exactly how I feel and I think is accurate to how mainstream consumers want to listen to music. The atmosphere even here at ASR can feel hostile towards these products from time to time, though on a far less scale than other audiophile websites, obviously...
  4. Pretorious

Best classical chamber music albums

The Brahms string quartets are a bit different than the rest of his chamber works, but it has always surprised me how many people say how difficult they are to get into and enjoy. They are fairly passionate, dark, stormy works even when compared to his other output, but there are a lot of...
  5. Pretorious

Best classical chamber music albums

This is such a huge area of music even disregarding the well known composers, so you have a lot of delightful works to experience! I will forego the usual suspects as you request. Try these: Louis Spohr’s 1st piano trio in E minor. Ferdinand Ries’s cello sonata in G minor, opus 125. The piano...
  6. Pretorious

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

Yes, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing. That prejudice is exactly what annoys me about audiophiles. This is how a vast number of people listen to music these days. The engineering and design are clearly towards a good universal sound, and follows good audio practices. Should not that be...
  7. Pretorious

HiFi Technology Flatlined Last Century

This impression is likely not aided by sites like this that don’t appeal to the general public or average consumer. I don’t say that as a negative against Amir or ASR. Here, we rate almost exclusively classical speaker after classical speaker, along with the other types of classical components...
  8. Pretorious

Honesty in specifications

I’m not an expert here by any means, but I think I can apply a bit of logic to this argument. If the in room response shows an equal level of the lowest frequencies as that of all the others then the content is there (or at least the ability to play that content). To put it conversely, how...
  9. Pretorious

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

When listening to classical music, I believe the recording has a lot to do with the perception of size. Classical recordings can be strange, in my opinion. I listen on a 2.1 bookshelf system so that's been my frame of reference for some time. Take what you will from this then. At roughly 7-8...
  10. Pretorious

Reconsidering changes to my setup

Thanks, I will definitely look into this more seriously. I have the space now so it does make sense to take advantage of it.
  11. Pretorious

Reconsidering changes to my setup

After a flood wiped out my basement where my listening area is, I no longer am thinking or having to downsize based on a previous thread of mine. Now here I am, months later, with a refurnished basement and slightly more options. I am still quite limited in positioning because I am not going to...
  12. Pretorious

Bose QuietComfort 45 Headphone Review

I agree, and want to stick my several cents in. Perhaps these are simple points that have been missed in this thread. The basic background noise of a modern home can be quite annoying, In my opinion, and as you mentioned, HVAC, street noise, appliances, wind, cars, aircraft, spouse/children...
  13. Pretorious

I wonder how most people listen to music these days

Here I am, my hi-fi system disconnected due to flooding that we had, listening to a Bose portable smart speaker that the wife and I bought for around the house. This thing sounds remarkably good, if not flat out excellent, depending on placement. The bass is prominent, which I have grown to...
  14. Pretorious

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

It has struck me lately that soundbars are becoming wider, slightly taller with more depth. The top models are a lot like slim floors standers laid on their sides. Clearly an effort to save space in the same way as their floor standing counterparts did, while providing some semblance of sound...
  15. Pretorious

ANC Headphones for Hard of Hearing

Have you tried the Bose QuietComfort 45? It has a strong treble emphasis, more so than the 700. With the Bose Music app you can adjust the bass, mids and treble to taste. You can see the frequency response here: And as compared to the Bose 700 (in yellow):
  16. Pretorious

Ambient noise - How much is too much?

I’m in the same exact situation. My critical listening setup for speakers goes mostly unused during the week because of TV noise from elsewhere in the house, talking, HVAC, road and traffic noise, highway noise, airplane roars, and trains passing. Same goes for my headphone setup for critical...
  17. Pretorious

Classical ♫ Music only | Some you listen now or recently, some you love...

Brilliant, gorgeous early 20th century British works. Very much sounds in the vain of Vaughan-Williams. Easy to recommended as I'm very impressed by what I hear.
  18. Pretorious

Thoughts on Downsizing and Convenience

That’s an interesting setup you’ve made, @Hatto. Did you listen to music with only the soundbar before setting it up with the Micros? If so, what was your opinion on the sound?
  19. Pretorious

Thoughts on Downsizing and Convenience

I have not. Not sure this would be what I'm looking for, but I can do some research. I don't really need it, as in it isn't essential; but it's something I thought of in the last few days as a gain in convenience for the around-the-house listening that I mentioned above. Could be a nice thing...
Top Bottom