Search results

1. Aardappel

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

Hi mate - for 'normal music' it is at volume levels between 20-30 on the SU-9 (XLR out). However, for silent recordings, there are times where I need to bring it up to 80. I then need to be very careful that I bring it back down to 20 before the next track starts hah! I contemplated bypassing...
  2. Aardappel

Congratulations with your excellent purchase! How are you finding your new amp?
  3. Aardappel

SMSL SU-9 Balanced DAC Review

@cursive - what happens if you were to add an inline attenuator between the DAC and the amp? To attenuate about 10dB for example. Isn't that essentially a resistive load that you're adding so that should be fine no?
  4. Aardappel

Good summary! The only thing I would add to your 2nd point, is that if you decide to bypass the input buffer (to reduce the gain) that you also bypass the filtering on the board.
  5. Aardappel

It just happened whilst playing music and changing the volume - the screen reverted after I opened the menu and then pressed back so its ok. But pretty bad programming/design if you ask me...
  6. Aardappel

Have any of you ever seen something like this before on their SU-9?
  7. Aardappel

Totally agree - I would describe the SU-9 as neutral with a good tight bass, and you could say the same about the Purifi :) Great match!
  8. Aardappel

Hi Toku, I don't get a pop noise when I switch the unit on or off but I get the same super short/high pitched micro-crackle that I described above. So definitely not a pop but a crackle, and it isn't loud but it does hurt the ear a bit. I would describe it as the sound of a static sweater next...
  9. Aardappel

Received my SU-9 yesterday and thought I would give some feedback on some of the issues that have been reported (this might help some people looking for a new DAC): The 3 rubber feet 'issue' - I use 'heavy' XLR cables and use nearly every socket on the DAC but my unit sits stable and doesn't...
  10. Aardappel

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Hi Jaap, You may want to step away from those banana plugs and throw them in the bin as they are ferrous/magnetic, having failed the magnet test. Purifi themselves state: Nearly all binding posts and/or banana plugs available we found to be magnetic and added measurable hysteric distortion...
  11. Aardappel

I ended up going for the SMSL SU-9! Pretty good review came online today as well which is always good. Some other things I can note after some more listening today: The unit does not stay ice cold - It doesn't get hot at all either but it does warm up ever so slightly (amirm mentioned in his...
  12. Aardappel

Just managed to listen to it for the first time, I have listed my first impressions below. Big caveat here is that I plugged it in to my Macbook's headphone out because I do not have a DAC just yet (coming next week), and I am using Klipsch R820 floorstanders as I wait for the RP8000Fs to come...
  13. Aardappel

Sure, the dimensions on the VTV & Ghent audio website are nearly correct, except its a bit taller than 3 inches if you also count the aluminium feet. The height is 9 cm, 10 inches wide and 13 inches deep (excl. all connectors).
  14. Aardappel

The comment he makes on biwiring applies not just to the Purifi speaker, it applies to any speaker that is biwireable. His point is that the 4-pole speakON connector is joined at the amp where the impedance is at its lowest. This would not be possible with the VTV amp as only the 1+ and 1-...
  15. Aardappel

I will be able to give it a listen this weekend but not with a proper DAC, not with a balanced connection, and not with the speakers that I would like haha. But I will post my findings. The only 'bad' thing that I can note is that, based off the photos on the VTV website, it looks like the...
  16. Aardappel

My VTV EVAL1 amp arrived today, really impressed with the VTV modified Ghent case! Feels very sturdy, thick heavy aluminium. Love the Neutrik connectors in the back as well. The amp was packaged and protected very well. Unfortunately I cannot test it as my DAC hasn't arrived yet :facepalm: For...
  17. Aardappel

DIY Purifi Amp builds

Just out of curiosity - given that Bruno and others have indicated that IEC filtering (EMI/RFI) at the unit using Y-Capacitors is not a good idea: what would happen if you were to plug the EMI/RFI filtered unit into a powerboard that is surge/overload protected and also RMI/RFI filtered (using...
  18. Aardappel

Just out of curiosity - given that Bruno and others have indicated that IEC filtering (EMI/RFI) at the unit using Y-Capacitors is not a good idea: what would happen if you were to plug the EMI/RFI filtered unit into a powerboard that is surge/overload protected and also RMI/RFI filtered (using...
  19. Aardappel

NODE 2i + SMSL SU-9 + MQA problem connecting

Thanks mate - how long did it take to ship and did it get shipped through DHL? Just looking at options as local stock seems to be nonexistent!
  20. Aardappel

NODE 2i + SMSL SU-9 + MQA problem connecting

Thanks for that, I always thought that GST/duty would need to be added to those listed prices! Are you happy with the DAC otherwise, no strange popping/clicking noises or pauses or anything like that? Are you also using it as a preamp with volume control (to your liking?)? Cheers
Top Bottom