Search results

1. V

DSP over DLNA in JRiver

I wonder if experienced users of JRiver would be able to help with the following. I can't get DSP Studio to work over DLNA. I believe I have configured everything properly for DLNA, but JRiver keeps saying DSP Studio is only available for local use. I can't find any clear definitive recent...
  2. V

Speakers perceived as bright - room correction, or change speakers?

Hi all, I'm using a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitor v7 which I find decent, but I'm noticing a brightness to them. I've used tonality controls to tame the brightness a bit. I was thinking the UMIK might be a good investment to do some room correction. It's really not clear to me how much of an...
  3. V

An unexpected streaming solution

Noticing my Bluray/DVD player showed up in Audirvana Studio as a WiFi output device, "[UPnP] BDP-S6700", I selected that and well, it just works. Albums, radios, all sounding as they should. On the other hand, my Chromecast audio doesn't show up in AS, more often than not. I was considering a...
  4. V

Pls help me diagnose a noise issue, PC-related

I have a noise issue on my PC setup (PC >> DAC >> headphone amp >> either headphones or active speakers) Typically the DAC is connected to a USB input on a mini docking station running from the PC's USB-C power/USB/HDMI combined connector. But I noticed, when connecting the DAC directly to any...
  5. V

Need advice about active vs passive speakers

Hi, I'm buying a pair of speakers for my desk and can't make up my mind between a pair of passive vs active speakers for desktop use. Based on price and local availability, my choice is going to be between the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2s, for passives, and the KRK Rokit 5 Gen 4s, for actives...
  6. V

Desktop speakers upgrade worth the trouble ?

Hi, I'm using for my desktop setup a pair of Harman/Kardon satellites that a friend gave me (from this now discontinued set: https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Theater-Speaker-System/dp/B0039UUPH6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1296159202&sr=8-9). Powered by a Teac amp from some years ago, the...
  7. V

Desk ergonomy - long hours at the desk

I'm interested in some opinions on the above. My work involves long hours at the desk, gazing at screens and typing and/or processing 2000-5000 words / day. What desk setup would promote the best possible ergonomy ? During lockdown I didn't invest any special efforts in ergonomy for my home...
  8. V

Of smartphones and in-ears - Are Bluetooth headphones/earphones "there" yet ?

I switched phones recently from a Sony Xperia XZ to a Samsung Galaxy S10. The S10 seemed like a very good phone - it is in actuality - and was practically given away with a generous Samsung cashback. I'm very happy with the S10's sound. I've had a few in-ear headphones, Sony MDR650, RHA MA750...
  9. V

Connecting speakers through speaker connexions of a Stax Energizer: any effect on sound quality ?

Hello, I was hoping to be able to connect my Stax Energizer (SRD-7 model) to the unused satellite speaker outputs of my new AV receiver, but disabling the main speakers to hear just the satellite channels is not possible so that won't work. I have a perhaps unfounded reluctance to use the...
  10. V

less than one inch clearance for ventilation above an AV receiver too little?

As per the title, is a clearance of about 2 cm, or less than one inch, for an AV receiver's ventilation, too little? Space on the sides would be plenty. I suspect the answer will be yes and won't take any chance if so; a previous AVR would sometimes cause the TV to switch off with a worrying...
  11. V

what do people think about the "Klipsch sound" ?

Klipsch has a new set of powered speakers that I'm considering as a potentially convenient alternative to an amp+speakers solution for our TV set. Usefully, it has a remote control, a feature I need in powered speakers which isn't widely available. One negative is the 20% premium in price ($400...
  12. V

Digital amps: what's the deal?

I figured that would be the right section to post this, as these new amps are called digital amps. Recently while browsing the Audiophonics site (French distributor and manufacturer of audio gear) I noticed a model by SMSL called the AD18, a digital amp that has apparently made a small splash...
  13. V

Dragonfly Black not playing well with amp?

Hello, A friend recently gifted me some Stax Sigma headphones. It had been a long while since I hadn't used my stereo system, my habitual mode of music listening these days being off a Dragonfly Black hooked to an android phone running USB Audio Player. So at first I installed the Stax adapter...
Top Bottom