Search results

1. T

I don't care what you guys say, the miniDSP Flex sound quality SUCKS.

The biggest favor I did myself in terms of my main sound system was in fact get rather than avoid miniDSP - and it wasn't even the Flex, but the 2x4 HD. No audible degradation for any practical purposes, but definitely audible improvement with the EQ enabling subwoofer use.
  2. T

Combining MiniDSP with an AVR

I'm using a miniDSP too (as per the link in my signature). The EQ in my AVR is limited, so in a solution similar to what you were pondering in the origina post I just EQ the front two channels with the miniDSP (from the AVR pre-outs) and feed both the main speakers and subwoofer through it. And...
  3. T

Why you need a center channel and to buy your movies

I generally watch from the sweet spot only, but even when I don't, I'm not really bothered by slightly off-center audio. Heck, even in the sweet spot the voices aren't precisely matched to the speaker's location on screen after all, and to me the picture being "skewed" from being off-center is a...
  4. T

Why you need a center channel and to buy your movies

You have a bad setup if you (think you) need a center channel ;)
  5. T

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Hadn't tried the double tap before but it seems to work fine for me.
  6. T

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

I find myself wishing the PA3s had a similar "clicky" volume control like the DX3 Pro+ has. So damn easy to accidentally nudge the free-rotating knob (really no resistance at all on the damn thing) on the PA3s to the wrong position when doing something on the desk (including adjusting the DX3...
  7. T

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

Mine finally arrived, after having ordered it on 8th of July already (from a domestic vendor who had it in stock - for some reason they were having trouble having trouble with getting the RCA-to-balanced adapter). It now completes my desktop setup, where it resides with Topping DX3 Pro+ & AKG...
  8. T

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Doesn't need to be '80s. Sure they're bigger brands - and thus with economies of scale - but said bigger brands put out vastly more complicated products like AVRs at less than 500 USD, and major reliability problems aren't exactly common. Not to even mention you can get things like full...
  9. T

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Nonsense. 500 dollars is plenty of money to get all those things from something as simple as a stereo amplifier, especially these days with the Class D chips. Unless of course you would consider sufficient materials etc. to require Unobtainium, etc.
  10. T

Poll for Topping PA5 owners only please.

The cynical part of me (and I'm cynical to the core, hah) agrees that they're "taking advantage" of ASR popularity to a point. Releasing subsequently better-measuring components knowing the SINAD-chasers can't resist. Also in part the reason for such short retail duration for most of the...
  11. T

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

CD demagnetizers and storing your CDs in a freezer for better sound were also a thing. If you used all three tricks, must've sounded amazing indeed... o_O More on topic, it seems ordering from France is a lengthy process, as my A07 still hasn't reached my country's postal service though it's...
  12. T

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

Measurable perhaps, but it matters little in practice unless actually audible as well. As said personally I've yet to notice any detriment, despite one of my speaker models even having metal grilles. In this case it's hard to know just how much the grille affects things since it wasn't compared...
  13. T

Nothing "good" about it. There's absolutely no reason to have the grille as basically half the front baffle instead of just mounting the damn driver flush like others do. And I certainly have never had audible problems with grilles, though I like seeing the drivers and thus may have the grilles...
  14. T

You could say it's a baffling design...
  15. T

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Naming/marketing conventions (what exactly do you think the LGK refers to?) aside it's not like the 290 for the kit is particularly cheap either since you can buy finished speakers with better performance for that price.
  16. T

Would be weird if the failure rate would be barely higher, given there's certainly not been anywhere near as many PA3s failures reported. Though maybe more people buy the PA5, dunno. But if the problem is indeed heat related... I've already wondered about the fairly closed, unvented designs...
  17. T

Live music in concert halls. What's the point?

I've been in like ONE concert where the sound was actually good and I didn't even have to wear earplugs. I HATE earplugs, and concerts are basically always too damn loud for no reason. That one good concert was supposedly a sort of one-stage jazz festival, though most of the artists weren't...
  18. T

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Probably shouldn't market it as a giant killer, then ;)
  19. T

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

Topping DX3 Pro+ for headphones (AKG K702). Topping TP30 via its own built-in DAC for Dynaudio Audience 42 speakers. But changes are coming. Topping PA3s is on order for speaker amp duty, and will try to integrate a 10" DIY subwoofer. That means using motherboard analog audio to get the...
  20. T

The silence is definitely concerning, especially as they (Topping) told Amir they'd say something about it here? Sure it's weekend right now, but they already apparently told Amir this on Wednesday (in their own time zone). I did just order a PA3s on Friday to stack with my DX3 Pro+, but if...
Top Bottom