Search results

1. A

WiiM Amp discussion

I just ordered one for my coffee roastery. It's not an ideal environment for audio equipment, so I don't bring the good stuff there. It's also pretty noisy so I need some power. Been using a WiiM Mini, first through a $125 HK PM660 and lately a $150 Adcom GFP-510 integrated amp, both through a...
  2. A

Reasonably priced DAC with toslink and remote volume control? Or remote controlled analog preamp?

Yes, it retains the global volume setting when powered down. I have mine connected through a WiFi a/c plug where I operate the whole system with my phone. It does not retain volume settings between the inputs however. I have used it as a preamp.
  3. A

Reasonably priced DAC with toslink and remote volume control? Or remote controlled analog preamp?

I own 2 of them now and haven't noticed any noises when switching inputs, or switch "channels" on any input device. I'm using toslink, bluetooth and USB. Not tried SPDIF yet.
  4. A

RPI always with Hat ? (e.g. Allo Digione, Hifiberry Digi+ Pro etc.)

So I found out how to get your digital music to sound better. Don't ever listen to analogue any more. I've been deciding which streaming service to subscribe to (and rebuild my CD ripping server). They all have pluses and minuses. Pandora has by far the best curated music, but the sound quality...
  5. A

Now it's getting interesting. Any chance I can use my Apple Superdrive on a RPi? I have a new 3gb WD hd for storage.
  6. A

I'm am not in the camp that believes everything that measures well, sounds good, or everything that measures poorly, sounds bad.
  7. A

It still shares the same environment and power supply though, right? My USB DAC runs on a separate internal battery to keep the board clean. Plugging it in to a PSU only charges the battery. The DAC power is supplied only by the battery. As I understand it, that is the advantage of the Digione...
  8. A

Unfortunately, I can hear if I swap matched 12AX7 tubes between preamp channels. But I guess you're right. If you're dealing with digital music anyway it doesn't really matter what flavor.
  9. A

I've had those implementation issues before. Turned me off to digital music for years. Still not sold on it. For the car it's fine. I like the idea of Amazon HD, but if they're not playing well with others, then that won't work. I upgraded to Amazon HD yesterday because I heard a rumor there...
  10. A

I'm playing this mind game now. My 2009 MacMini has finally outlived its usefulness. I want to be able to stream Amazon Ultra HD and I'm looking at the DigiOne Signature/RPi, but I'm not sure of the software. I'm not a RPi person yet, but I'm looking forward to learning. I have a SMLS SU-9 DAC...
  11. A

Just bought a '83 HK PM660

Indeed. I've been leaving it on today to burn it in and get the caps up to speed. It's sounding better and better. I'm running through some Altec 604Cs which are 16R and it's putting out 105-110db @1M with he volume knob <5. It is cooking. It's 30* outside and I have a fire going all day to. Not...
  12. A

Oh man, it faked me out. I was so excited that it was sounding so good that I went ahead and made a bespoke set of speaker cables with Sewell banana plugs. But the speaker outs on the back are fake banana plug receptacles. They look like they'll take a banana plug, but the plastic screw...
  13. A

BTW, here's a pic of the phone board. Nothing suspicious that I can see.
  14. A

Fixed the broken Main Direct switch lead, slapped it back together and the dB issue is fixed. It's sounding much better.
  15. A

I got the board out that supports the Main Direct switch. There are two contacts that appear to not be soldered, but it seems on the schematic that they are not used. I can see the contacts inside that need attention:
  16. A

Will do. I also noticed an issue with the -7dB "Main Direct" switch. You nailed it John. For example: with the switch "out" I get 85dB from the R ch and 93 from the L. When I press it in I get about 85dB from both. Just casually measured with an iPhone app, but you get the idea. The switch...
  17. A

I was thinking about testing the filter caps first. It sounds nice at low volumes but craps out when it gets pushed. It could be a power supply issue? I can't test them in the circuit, but I can easily pull one and test it. Unfortunately, I don't really have the equipment, or knowledge, to...
  18. A

Ha, so true. I like vintage stuff. I also like things to work right. That is a dangerous combination. I have a whole woodshop filled with machinery, nothing built after 1946. It just goes with the territory that if you want old things to work like new, or better then new, you will need to do a...
  19. A

I bought a fresh can of Dioxit for the task, but it doesn't need it. Nothing scratchy, all controls are smooth as new. I don't think it was used much and must have been nestled in a cabinet, because there is very little dust inside. I'm hoping the caps have just dried out. It sounds better at...
Top Bottom