Search results

1. Peter Verbeek

Calibration tool for Headphone + Hearing capability

Well, not really. Basically the procedure is exactly the same. With both apps the frequencies can be (quickly) sequentially changed whilst listening to a test signal. In case of Peace a sine, in case of Smyth Realiser a small noise band. And both apps uses the Equal-loudness contours ISO...
  2. Peter Verbeek

I understand what you're saying. Unfortunately the program language I'm using isn't fast enough to have randomly chosen frequencies or frequency bands. Also the outcome of the test will be used for an eq. For this purpose Peace uses the predefined frequencies of the test. By having these random...
  3. Peter Verbeek

Do you mean the lack off data above in the equal-loudness contours above 12.5 kHz? As the important frequencies are well below this high frequency, especially for the hearing impaired, there isn't must to solve. I did use the interpolated data (black dotted lines) of the equal-loudness contours...
  4. Peter Verbeek

Yes, that's what we are trying to figure out here. We're thinking along the same line. And I probably add 2 dropdown boxes or dials for adding bass and treble (according to the Harman curves). Having a simple bass boost switch isn't good enough.
  5. Peter Verbeek

Very glad to hear that. Thanks for sharing and you're welcome. One question, which Phon contour did you use to create the eq? By default it's on 60 Phon.
  6. Peter Verbeek

I've difficulties to fully get where you're saying. Probably have to read it a few times more. But your tests/measurements do tell a familiar story as you're finding a "preferred" Phon contour of 50. And as you have shown, and is quite obvious looking at the equal-loudness contours, the contours...
  7. Peter Verbeek

Not a bad idea. I've one concern. It's difficult for the user to determine the same loudness. But if he can perform such as task your methodology might work. I'm not sure what you're saying here but I'm eager to know what your findings are after trying it out.
  8. Peter Verbeek

True. But after a Windows update Equalizer APO might refuse to work again, even after running the Configurator. Usually by uninstalling and installing things get going again. Then again sometimes not. However, the "SFX/EFX" setting is first thing to try. That may do the trick. Equalizer APO is...
  9. Peter Verbeek

That is a possibility so it isn't silly at all. But any background noise (if this still is necessary when using white noise) would also be filtered. For maximum flexiblity I rather generate test sounds as samples to be able to just play them. Also when Equalizer APO is broken by a Windows update...
  10. Peter Verbeek

No, a user must be able to choose any frequencies he wants to test. As such the test interface needs to generate sines or narrow band white noise. First of all this has to be silence generations. Second it's a difficult way of creating sounds. I need a white noise algorithm which includes...
  11. Peter Verbeek

That's good info. It seems a workable option. However, I also meant that I don't know how to generate this type of noise programmatically and also within a narrow band. And then there's the speed issue as AutoIt is so terrible slow compared to C or C++. With some clever programming I managed to...
  12. Peter Verbeek

Yes, that's possible. Therefore I recommend, in the manual for instance, to only test the middle part of ones hearing. This is the part that is the most important to correct. Bass for instance is usually a matter taste. Anyway, I suggest you try a few Phon's and/or set the starting frequency to...
  13. Peter Verbeek

Yes, 60 Phon is default as this commonly yielded the most neutral bass in an eq created from the test results. In other words, heaving to little or to much bass in the resulting eq is just a matter of selecting a different Phon and create the eq again. In ear certainly a matter on its own. I...
  14. Peter Verbeek

Thanks for the xlsx and csv. Looking at the small difference in SPL between the free field and diffuse one this wouldn't compensate the resulting eq in the bass part when using 0 Phon. I'm still left with the question why 0 Phon produces a high bass eq. Of course looking at the Phon graphs...
  15. Peter Verbeek

Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking at the Harman curves it seems to be about compensating those frequencies (low/bass and high/treble) that headphones, or perhaps wearing headphones, are struggling with. That's why the in-ear curve has a higher bass part as there isn't much room for...
  16. Peter Verbeek

On Android there are also apps like Neutralizer. This is why we built the test interface as on Windows there was nothing we could find to be very useful. An audiogram can easily be used. Just start with a flat eq such as "Equalizer Default", enter the frequencies of the audiogram in the fields...
  17. Peter Verbeek

So that isn't a problem as it's static data. In test interface I've used the equal loudness contour ISO 226:2006. A user can select a Phon (0 to 100) to compare his test results against. From some experimenting the 60 Phon seemed to produce the best eq as the 0 Phon, the hearing treshold...
  18. Peter Verbeek

@Mad_Economist First of all thanks for sharing your insights. They are very welcome. For instance, I didn't know about Griesinger. I guess many try to "measure" the "general" hearing of our ears/brains. As said this procedure will always have inherent flaws. You've also named a few like...
  19. Peter Verbeek

Don't be. Over the years many good feature developments and bug repairs happened as a result of some mistake or misconception. In other words, any feedback is good. I've no clue where this eq is coming from, especially knowing that Stereo mix is in the equation. Usually it's an eq due to some...
Top Bottom