Search results

1. J

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

@amirm Would you say that out of all headphones you have reviewed, the HD800S is the best (allowing for EQ of course) ?
  2. J

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

Would you say that with EQ, it is as good as the HD800S with EQ? Particularly in the areas of soundstage and layering.
  3. J

Revisiting speakers vs headphones in light of BACCH and Smyth Realiser

Isn't two speakers with BACCH XTC the ideal configuration though? Whether with actual speakers or simulated via headphones. Would adding more speakers (virtual or real) add anything positive to the sound quality?
  4. J

A Theory on Headphones Amplifiers Power Supplies

I'm not sure this is true... SINAD per frequency per power should tell the whole story, I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-are-all-the-variables-that-impact-dac-quality.17352/post-569777
  5. J

What can be fixed with DSP?

Something has occured to me. We have smartphones, smart cars, smart fridges and what do I know, perhaps even smart toilets. But why don't we have smart headphones? Couldn't it be possible to have a smart headphone which would eliminate distortion by playing an inverted signal, a principle...
  6. J

Given poor SINAD of headphones, how big of a difference can an AMP make?

Yes, I'm saying that something like the 99$ Atom should be completely audibly transparent for any headphone it has enough power to drive.
  7. J

Given poor SINAD of headphones, how big of a difference can an AMP make?

Headphones have very poor SINAD. Even the best measuring ones have around 0.1% THD+N, which is 60 dB SINAD. A concrete example. Let's take the Stax SR-009, with ~0.1% THD+N. https://www.stereophile.com/content/more-stax-measurements-sr-009-sr-007-sr-507-sr-404-ltd-sr-404-and-sr-003 The Stax...
  8. J

SMSL SP400 Balanced Headphone Amplifier THX AAA

This appears to have a stepped attenuator for volume control? Channel balance would appear to be the one last thing the Benchmark HPA4 has on the Topping A90. Could this SMSL be the ultimate amp? Is Amir going to test it?
  9. J

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Might be a noob question, but... Can I connect two devices to this, one over XLR and the other over RCA, and have them both play at the same time?
  10. J

Thank you very much for your detailed answers. One more thing that interests me is what headphone in particular would you recommend for optimal speakers emulation. I know the HD800 is widely used for 3D audio, and Stax models are held in high regard too (also by Smyth Research). In your...
  11. J

Is there any way to objectively measure headphone resolution?

That's the thing though... Couldn't two headphones have the same frequency response and yet different levels of resolution? I honestly don't know...
  12. J

Is there any way to objectively measure headphone resolution?

I just realized something. As far as I know, the only sources indicating that some headphones have greater resolution / detail retrieval than others are subjective reviews. Oftentimes from the same people who would have you believe in benefits of multi-thousand $ cables, 192+ kHz audio and other...
  13. J

I think I understand now. You need your own personal HRTF for the BACCH-hp to work optimally. Do you thing something like this https://www.genelec.com/aural-id could work too at the highest level? You mentioned that the BACCH VLS is not foolproof. However, if I loaded my personal accurate HRTF...
  14. J

Interesting. I know that with the Smyth Realiser, you need to do this - measure speakers in order to then emulate the experience of listening to those speakers. You can make measurements in different rooms with different speaker systems and get different results/listening experiences, and Smyth...
  15. J

What are all the variables that impact DAC quality?

Thanks for your answer, I understand now.
  16. J

Could someone please explain to me how can it be possible for the DAC to already by 0.99860 be reacting to a signal which isn't supposed to arrive until after 0.99865? Can the DAC predict the future?
  17. J

You appear to be correct. The ''fast transition'' hypothesis states that when you go from say 20 Hz o 20 kHz, some DACs might struggle with the transition, which doesn't make much sense if you can reproduce 20 kHz continuously. If you can reproduce 20 kHz, it shouldn't matter ''how'' that 20kHz...
  18. J

I've been thinking about this some more and came to the conclusion that perhaps the testing methods Amir uses really are insufficient. It appears plausible to me that DAC speed could be a very real thing, i.e., that smearing could occur during fast transitions in the input signal. Same applies...
Top Bottom