Search results

1. sarakyel

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

This device basically offers the same level of objective performance as the C200 - without the integrated headphone amp - but for twice the price. I really don't see the point to this unit unless you really need an AES-EBU input, and I would tend to think that the audio engineers who do would...
  2. sarakyel

Schiit Modi+ DAC Review

I can only report about my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt: I bought Schiit products twice (brand new Hel 2 and refurbished Modius), but I had to return both during the first year of moderate use. Good that they were under warranty, and that their customer support was quite...
  3. sarakyel

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

These were the Studio 180 (horrible sounding speakers with a terribly recessed midrange); the A180 reviewed here are part of the Stage series.
  4. sarakyel

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

I still wonder why JBL rotated out the Arena series so fast only to get it replaced with the Stage series... Manufacturing costs? Material availability? Every Stage model that I heard sounded worse than its Arena counterpart, starting with the Stage A180 vs. Arena 180. A real shame.
  5. sarakyel

Black Lion Sparrow MKII & Micro Clock MKIII Review (ADC & Clock)

It looks like a quite typical "half-U" size: you can mount 2 of these side-by-side in a standard 1U space, screwed together in the center with an additional "double-ear" piece. Half-space hardware has been a standard in recording studios for a long time (the classic Urei LA-3A compressor, which...
  6. sarakyel

Kef Q150 Bookshelf Speaker (review by Erin)

In my (admittedly limited) experience, the weights might help. I use a couple of Q150 paired with a JBL LSR310S subwoofer as studio monitors. When I first installed them in my (moderately treated) room, the resonances were audible on sweeps - even though much less offensive than the broad dips...
  7. sarakyel

PS Audio PowerPlant 12 Review (AC Regenerator)

What a great analogy! Unfortunately, there will always be people arguing that the flavor of the dish soap makes a world of a difference to them, regardless of how many similar units get measured here or elsewhere...
  8. sarakyel

Technics SB-C700 Review (Coaxial Bookshelf)

@amirm at first I was amazed by how similar the vertical and horizontal directivities looked, and then I realized you posted the horizontal directivity plot twice... :D
  9. sarakyel

JBL 4349 Review (Studio Monitor Speaker)

Actually here in Europe the Harman pro team sells them as mid-field monitors meant to be placed on a high stand (straight, with the top of the woofer at eye level), forming up a 2.5 to 3.5 meters sided "listening triangle". They sound very neutral in that setup, basically like M2's that would be...
  10. sarakyel

MASSDROP X Focal ELEX Measurement #2

Well, it looks like the difference from 3kHz and above is of less than 3dB, so even by quickly switching from a headphone to another I bet you wouldn't have heard a huge discrepancy in the treble area. The channel mismatch under 1kHz might have been more noticeable though since it would most...
  11. sarakyel

Focal Utopia Review (Headphone)

I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. You wrote something similar about the HD 800 S, but I spent quite a lot of time with one and I never perceived anything THAT different/better than with a HD 600/650 (except for a slightly more "trebly" response). Actually with a well recorded...
  12. sarakyel

Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary Edition Review

Over the last 15 years I spent quite some time working in recording studios, both in the UK and US. I've always been surprised to find those huge B&W speakers in control rooms (Diamond... 800 I think?). Regardless of how massive and crazy expensive these boxes are, they have such a distinctive...
  13. sarakyel

xDuoo XA-10 Review (DAC and Headphone Amp)

Yeah, and the ESS hump was solved through a software update a while ago... And I would also see the SMSL M500 and Topping DX7 Pro as totally viable options.
  14. sarakyel

OSD AP650 Review (outdoor speaker)

In general, I think most (if not all) small outdoor speakers are meant to be paired with a subwoofer. The 4000 series from Genelec, when setup properly, are pretty much the only ones that sound quite balanced. Also I was quite impressed by the JBL Control X, which were sold as outdoor speakers...
Top Bottom