Search results

1. oldsweatyman

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Got mine. Works great, sounds great. It's the only piece I know that cleanly connects my TV to my speakers and has an extra RCA input for my phono preamp and turntable, and has good measurements. I will say though, if you want to consolidate your remote controls, this isn't what you want. The...
  2. oldsweatyman

Double Blind Testing FAQ Development

Essentially any given 'objective' testing is ultimately flawed to some degree though, as I mentioned before, despite the implications on countless posts here that seem to desperately believe otherwise. Regardless, there should be no value attributed on a "scientific" forum (theoretically) to...
  3. oldsweatyman

Harman preference curve for headphones - am I the only one that doesn't like this curve?

This is the thing that I have trouble with. When taking into consideration the immense number of people that consider some pumpkins to be Cinderella's coach and vice versa, it seems to me you can say that dummy head measurements can accurately/consistently/etc measure frequency response and...
  4. oldsweatyman

That's what I'm sayin. I was essentially pointing out that there hadn't been discussion on this until I brought it up. Instead, it was focused on the opposite, which is will it hold up in "subjectivists court" as if the intention was to be "right." This, of course, muddies the scientific...
  5. oldsweatyman

Harman preference curve for headphones - am I the only one that doesn't like this curve?

I think I see what you're saying. They are two entirely different things. I was conflating points unnecessarily. What I'm having trouble understanding is when review's call a particular headphone or speaker's tonality "correct" or "incorrect," "science" based, transparent, neutral, etc., and...
  6. oldsweatyman

Been reading through this read and trying to understand the topic of neutrality. Considering the previously mentioned "Circle of Confusion" described by Floyd Toole, how can we use terms like objective/neutral/transparent? A particularly target curve like the Harman curve is a summation of...
  7. oldsweatyman

Audiofools turned objectivists or vice-versa?

Personally, I admit that I mostly bought the ASR-dominant "objectivist" narrative at first with chasing measurements. Then, I bought a bottlehead crack and compared it to my magnius. The BHC sounded "better" at all volume levels because the tonality was obviously different, at which point I...
  8. oldsweatyman

Can’t say I’m qualified (I’m a mere medical student) but even the potential “goals” here seem quite biased to begin with. I’m in the category of a comparatively ignorant audio-newcomer who finds these discussions useful to consider for further purchases. Repeatedly, the idea of “disproving”...
  9. oldsweatyman

Is 2020, Audeze LCD-2 Classic / LCD2C Share your thoughts, should improve, measurements and guide.

I personally don't, but maybe its because I wear glasses. I also bought a used pair, so maybe the leather is worn in enough to not suction so much.
  10. oldsweatyman

Is 2020, Audeze LCD-2 Classic / LCD2C Share your thoughts, should improve, measurements and guide.

Grabbed the LCD-2C's, finally. I bought the dekoni hybrids and installed them, but, as it turns out, I think the stock leather are actually more comfortable for me. They sit on my head right and the hybrids feel so stiff and clamping on my head. Considering adding the fazor mods..
  11. oldsweatyman

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

The part that I don't understand from this review is why these are exclusively recommended with EQ, but this doesn't apply to the LCD-X, which wasn't recommended, despite also being "transformed" by EQ.
  12. oldsweatyman

Pro-ject Optical Box E Review (Phono Stage)

Oops, you're right, I was looking at the SINAD in the review before the gain was tweaked. Good analysis on the rest of the specs on the Pluto as well. I'm not so familiar with the ones you mentioned, if you don't mind helping, what does the headroom work out to for the Mani on a 5V cartridge...
  13. oldsweatyman

Pro-ject Optical Box E Review (Phono Stage)

I almost got the Mani but I saw that U-Turn came out with a Pluto 2 with solid updates, been working great. I use a MM cartridge. They added "higher gain, active filtering, and an overhauled power supply," which amir had noted was an issue in his review of the Pluto 1. U-Turn Pluto 2 ($99)...
  14. oldsweatyman

Plex vs Roon

That is a pretty great feature. Right now, I listen only with headphones so I use parametric EQ software on my phone/laptop/desktop to get oratory EQ settings as well. I think if if/when I EQ my speaker set up I'll use an app on my Apple TV, which sends music to my speakers. I imagine that...
  15. oldsweatyman

Plex vs Roon

Agreed. Back when I first started I chose plex just because it seemed easier to use and more polished than emby at that time, but it seems they're pretty equal at this point. The only other future alternative I think I'd consider is Jellyfin if they ever get good apps and all the functions that...
  16. oldsweatyman

Plex vs Roon

Here to give a massive +1 for plexamp. I use it on a daily basis for music, running it off of a simple unRAID server that I have on 24/7. I already have bought the plex lifetime pass for $120 and I've had it for months because I needed it for the movie section of the software. $120 is far less...
Top Bottom