Search results

1. M

Budget Standalone "Toslink > DSP > Toslink" with Camilladsp. Set up instructions for newbies.

I received the U24XL and unfortunately it has seems to have some buffer management issues with CamillaDSP when used as a TOSLINK I/O device. If you use the silence_threshold / silence_timeout functionality to pause CamillaDSP when there is no input, the buffer level drops significantly and for...
  2. M

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

If you delete the entries in silence_treshold and silence_timeout CamillaDSP will never pause and stay in the running state. Might be a way to solve it. Michael
  3. M

Multichannel audio on a Pi will get a whole lot easier and cheaper!

I petitioned HifiBerry to see if they had any interest in producing a HDMI input HAT for the RPi5. Unfortunately, they said it wasn't feasible with HDMI licensing. Michael
  4. M

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

As the EQ functionality of this DAC now requires software to operate, long term support would consist of updating that software for newer operating systems. I have a RME interface that was released in 2004 that I can still use to this day because they provide updated software. Not all...
  5. M

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

As mentioned by others there will be no timing issues as long as your DAC is not something weird like a Denafrips with a variable latency FIFO buffer. Only thing I should note is the SHD has both digital and analog outputs so is certainly more flexible than the SHD Studio. Michael
  6. M

Volume Control / Dirac / DAC Timing

Variable latency confirmed in the FAQ -> https://www.denafrips.com/support Michael
  7. M

Yes. The SPDIF receiver of the Ares will be sync'd to the SHD Studio, however the data from the receiver is then stored in a FIFO buffer. The stored data is read out of the buffer at a pace determined by a separate clock local to the Ares. This means you can never sync another DAC to the Ares...
  8. M

I believe the Denafrips has a variable latency FIFO buffer which will make it unsuitable for use with another DAC. Michael
  9. M

Does Phase Distortion/Shift Matter in Audio? (no*)

A few things stick out to me. Your corrected magnitude trace has high pass behavior but your phase trace is essentially flat. This is what @KSTR was referring to in the quote below in response to @Tim Link. As a result your correction has non-minimum phase behavior baked in. If correcting a...
  10. M

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

Does anything appear in the log when it stutters? How often does it stutter? I have not used the headphone output so I am not sure if this is typical. The only thing I see in your configuration is you do not have rate adjust enabled which you will need to avoid buffer over / under runs. It may...
  11. M

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC Amp Review

Do not confuse gain with power output. The Mission M778X has 31 dB gain, the Audiophonics has 25.6 dB gain. This means if you feed each the same input, the Mission will be louder. However, the Audiophonics is capable of higher output levels if fed more input voltage. For example, let's look at...
  12. M

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

Are you asking how you physically use it or what is the use case? Michael
  13. M

8ch hifiberry hat dac for RPI5

Doesn't the Shield act as USB host? Couldn't you use a raspberry pi in USB gadget mode with the Hifiberry DAC 8x? Looking at old screenshots of the Shield menus it looks like you should at least be able to set USB output as 5.1. Michael
  14. M

Budget Standalone "Toslink > DSP > Toslink" with Camilladsp. Set up instructions for newbies.

In my mind USB gadget would avoid unnecessary device(s). When I've used in the past, I've powered the RPi from the pin header and used the USB-C port to connect to the host computer. A USB-C data/power splitter is probably a more elegant solution. I've also noticed that without a splitter the...
  15. M

From that review it seems clear it only has two channel output. Michael
  16. M

It is unclear to me if the U24 XL has independent analog and TOSLINK outputs, it looks to me like they might be mirrored. I just purchased a used U24 XL on e-bay so can report back when I receive it. Your pipeline looks OK, if you were using a RPi4 I would just use the raspberry pi as a USB...
  17. M

DEQX Premate 8 digital active crossover / DSP

I understand CamillaDSP is not for everyone, I just don't appreciate spreading blatantly false information like saying it only supports USB inputs. Just my 2 cents but if I wanted to use CamillaDSP and I was starting from a Windows PC, I'd get a raspberry pi and use it in USB gadget mode. In...
  18. M

Never use multiple USB DACs. Never use a mixture of USB and SPDIF DACs unless the SPDIF DAC is being clocked by a USB interface. For example, if you had an audio interface that had SPDIF and analog outputs that would be OK as they would share a common clock. SPDIF carries a clock signal so the...
  19. M

That looks like it ticks all the boxes. It sounds like it will act as clock master unless a digital input is detected at which point it will switch to slave. It is limited to 48 kHz which should be fine for a TV application. All TVs I've seen output a constant 48 kHz so no worries about changing...
  20. M

Also have no idea of how you would do it by looking at the SPDIF waveform, maybe some smarter folks know. I have checked synced by looking at DAC outputs on an oscilloscope while playing a 15 kHz tone. For example take the UL Mk5, route the SPDIF output to the CM6206 and the SPDIF output of the...
Top Bottom