Search results

1. S

Audiophile music player for Windows/Mac and your opinion...

Another player to consider - Sound Player uLillith (newer version of Lillith), a very simple playlist player. I think it sounds great, the only issue I've found is that it depends on directshow filters for certain codecs. I couldn't get aac in m4a containers to play until I installed the K...
  2. S

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

I'm considering replacing replacing my WXA-50 because I don't use the streaming functionality at all and I a need a bit more power for my Revel M16s. What would the leading contenders be in the same price range, presuming I'm ok with separate components and the somewhat messier setup that comes...
  3. S

Audiophile music player for Windows/Mac and your opinion...

Has anybody else tried Strawberry Music Player? It's one that I have to file with Audirvana in that it definately has it's own audio signature (at least in Windows). I'm a longtime user of Jriver... still the best all-in-one player despite the somewhat steep learning curve.
  4. S

Emotiva Big Ego+ Portable DAC & HP Review

I've been using the TOSLINK on my computers' motherboard to connect to my WXA-50; I've noticed there's a difference between the optical outs of my old motherboard (~11 yrs old) and new so I am considering getting this strictly for the perfect optical outs. I wonder if there's a cheaper...
  5. S

Amp for Revel m106/m105

I ended up getting the wxa-50, which has been fine for low volume use. If you need more than 82 db in a small space (and don't need all of the integrated streaming features) I'm not sure I'd recommend it. I wouldn't mind a little more power, however...
  6. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I've been using them in a nearfield and midfield setup with a Q1 cut at 100Hz of 1.5 db, what cut do you use? They still sound a little tubby. I also add a high shelf to add a little brightness as I don't have a lot of hard/reflecting surfaces around and to account for the mostly near-field...
  7. S

Does anybody know if it prefers 44 or 48Khz SPDIF input? Also curious about whether I should be using 24 or 32 bit depth (I assume 24)... thanks!
  8. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Has anybody tried to plug the ports to lower the bass response? I see Revel offers foam plugs with the m105/m106, I wonder if there are similar ones that could be used with the m16s. I've had to move the speakers closer to a wall...
  9. S

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I really like them as well. I'm using them with a wxa-50 which I think might be underpowered for them. I'd love to hear them with a proper receiver or integrated amp. I'm also using them with a set of monitor stands which allows me to adjust the height; seems to help with the limited vertical...
  10. S

Yamaha RX-596 Receiver Review

Does anybody know how the rx-596 RDS differs from this one? It doesn't have the cd direct or pure direct buttons on the front and it's 250 watts. I did a quick perusal of the manual and neither pure or cd direct are mentioned. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up.
  11. S

Still liking this amp, especially using it as a DLNA client. I think it sounds better that way versus going into the inputs. anybody know what the "Auto" equalizer setting does? I usually keep it on bypass...
  12. S

I bought this amp for use with a pair of m16s. Seems to have enough power on tap but I have observed that it has a markedly different sound when I'm feeding it wirelessly via JRIVER DLNA (24 bit pcm output) vesus directly with my Apogee Duet 2's analog outputs (same settings in JRIVER). I'm...
  13. S

Amp for Revel m106/m105

After having to tweak my budget, I think I'm going to go with the Revel M16s and the Yamaha WXA-50. Does the WXA-50 have enough power for the M16s? thanks!
  14. S

Amp for Revel m106/m105

Those Infinity towers look great. Unfortunately I need something for mid/nearfield listening in a modestly sized room, but if I had the space I would try out a bunch of Harman-group towers. I'm pretty tempted by the WXA-50 and the Emotiva at this point although getting a classic Denon or...
  15. S

Amp for Revel m106/m105

Thanks! I'm very interested in the emotiva amps, but slightly wary because of amirs a-500 review (mains noise, varying quality of channels) I wonder if 50 watts at 8 ohms is good enough for the revels (87 db sensitivity, recommended power 50-150). since the wxa-50 only outputs 50 @ 8 ohms I'm...
  16. S

Amp for Revel m106/m105

Hi, I'm looking into ditching my powered monitors (KRK v6 s4) for a revel bookshelf setup for near/mid field 2.0 listening. With the following in mind, which amp/receiver would be a good match? I'm going to be listening at moderate levels in an 18'x12' room. I'd like to leave open the option...
Top Bottom