Search results

1. Phronesis

Blind test - objectivists with tin hearing?

I concur with the comment that expectations of there being no difference will influence how someone approaches a listening test, and blinding won't solve that problem. If someone expects A and B to sound the same, they'll tend to perceive in a way that they sound the same, and if they suspect...
  2. Phronesis

Seeking Recommendation of Flat, High-Isolation Cans

Some subjective impressions: - Meze 99 Classics sounds really good, though the bass is a bit on the full side, so not really a neutral signature. They're very efficient, so most phones can drive them adequately. - M50X has a somewhat V-shaped signature, so not neutral. - M40X is quite good...
  3. Phronesis

What are we listening to right now..

I'm very much liking new album Djesse, Vol. 1 by Jacob Collier. Videos available here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtmY49Zn4l0RMJnTWfV7Wsg
  4. Phronesis

How do you select headphones (based on sound)?

Good stuff. Is there a link somewhere to their paper, or a list of the 61 headphones? I was just thinking yesterday how my $100 M40X sounds pretty good compared to my headphones which cost 10x to 25x that amount.
  5. Phronesis

Relationships between physical sound, auditory sound perception, and music perception

Yes, one of the most famous studies in social psychology. It deals more with behavior than perception, but there are plenty of studies demonstrating how our perceptions can be socially influenced (and salesmen rely on this!). When I was younger, a friend who was an orchestral percussionist...
  6. Phronesis

Relationships between physical sound, auditory sound perception, and music perception

I tend to agree. Though, unfortunately, the paper doesn't clearly spell out their criteria for "without formal training in music." Someone could obviously be a self-taught accomplished musician, despite not having "formal training," and would therefore be a lot closer to a professional...
  7. Phronesis

… which leads me to note that, when I was young, I could listen to a piece 100+ times and find that my enjoyment of it didn't diminish at all, and would typically increase for a while before possibly reaching a plateau. But now that I'm older (over 50), I find that I "use up" a piece of music...
  8. Phronesis

I don't have the full paper, but this is interesting. It shows how, when we listen to exactly the same thing more than once, we can perceive it as being different, and that can be influenced by expectations. http://mp.ucpress.edu/content/35/1/94 "The repeated recording illusion refers to the...
  9. Phronesis

Unexpected Talent

Joey Alexander:
  10. Phronesis

Unexpected Talent

Jacob Collier:
  11. Phronesis

I think it's fair to say that science typically does involve inference and generalization from the finite and context-specific findings of particular studies. It involves judgment (hence opening the door to debates) and entails risk of various types of errors, but I don't see any way around it...
  12. Phronesis

Yes, I agree. I think that what we perceive, whether related to music or sound, is very much dependent on the 'top-down' framework we bring to the act of perception, in terms of our prior experiences, beliefs, expertise, emotional associations, mood, energy level, social context, expectations...
  13. Phronesis

Please do focus on anything particular you'd like to discuss. Per the thread title, the aim of this thread is explore the connections between three areas - physical sound, sound perception, and music perception - whereas most psychoacoustic audio discussions focus on only physical sound and...
  14. Phronesis

Lately, I find myself often pondering how our ears and brains take the physical sound reaching our eardrums and turn that into perceptions of sounds and music. I'm hoping that others in this forum might be interested in discussing this topic, so I'm starting this thread. I make a distinction...
  15. Phronesis

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

I agree. Though it would be nice to better pin down which differences are audible, to what degree, for what percentage of listeners, etc., so that people can make informed decisions rather than being misled and misleading each other based on misperceptions due to biases, agendas, etc. I often...
  16. Phronesis

Anybody Out There Who Hears a Difference Between 320 kbps MP3 and Red Book CD? What Differences Do You Hear?

I've had the experience of consistently perceiving night and day differences between gear for months, and those differences were consistent with what many others consistently reported. But when I did sighted testing with matching of volume and music segments, using short music segments and very...
  17. Phronesis

Any correlation between measurements and perceived sound quality?

I do see how that approach can work. I just take a different route because I find that, if I sort of average the opinions people give of a headphone, that will usually get me fairly close to what I'll perceive myself as far as tonality and other characteristics. Of course, there could be bias...
  18. Phronesis

So if someone needs focused attention and maybe some training to detect a barely perceived difference between 320 and CD in most (not all) trials of a blind test, maybe we can agree that the difference is ‘audible’ but ‘subtle’. That leads to the question of whether the difference matters for...
  19. Phronesis

Any correlation between measurements and perceived sound quality?

Personally, I’ve never relied on measurements to help me pick headphones. I think that listener ear geometry makes a significant difference, but that isn’t generally accounted for in measurements of FR curve, etc. I use reviews to help me identify candidates, then I try them myself.
  20. Phronesis

Review and Measurements of Chord Mojo DAC and Amp

I've had my Mojo for about a year. Haven't had any issues with it, except that I don't like the faint whining noise when it's charging sometimes. I like the ergonomic design and aesthetics. It gets warm (which I don't mind), but not close to hot unless driving a hungry headphone at high...
Top Bottom