Search results

1. M

Sony's new SA-Z1 Hi-Res Near Field Powered Speaker System

Has anyone heard these? Are they the next Bose 901?
  2. M

A Call For Humor!

I bought a Rubbermaid tub with a tight fitting lid, a hamster, and some speaker cables. I put the hamster and the speaker cables in the tub, snapped the lid on and then double sealed it with duct tape. I waited a few days, opened it, and the hamster had obviously consumed all the oxygen, he was...
  3. M

Re-Charging Audio Cables

Yes but it will need to be re-equalized for every specific room.
  4. M

Re-Charging Audio Cables

Here you go... I happen to have a Nobel prize in PowerPoint.
  5. M

Re-Charging Audio Cables

Actually I have a new idea. If a magnet can force all the electrons to the inside of one wire we could use the outside of that same wire to replace the opposite conductor! So the plus side (which everyone knows brings the signal) could all be forced to the center of the single wire. The minus...
  6. M

Re-Charging Audio Cables

So "skin effect", which seems a vital part of many cable arguments, is negated as the magnets force the electrons to the center of the conductors! Can the conductors then be made very thin? Since the outside region is devoid of current it is clearly extraneous material. We could save a lot of...
  7. M

Re-Charging Audio Cables

Also from the above cited Stereophile article: "At AudioQuest, we reverse-engineered every premium-audiophile power receptacle we could find. Some were substantially better than average (a few [were] actually worse), but what I saw too often was cryogenic freezing, or rhodium plating over a...
  8. M

Re-Charging Audio Cables

My receiver has a tangibility boost circuit. I do not need this power conditioner. The tangibility of my music is off the scale.
  9. M

Are feet / still points necessary (even a little)?

You need to seal those air passages and purge them with helium.
  10. M

The End is Nigh

The aluminum end connector is "made by a machining center." But he does not tell us how many axes the machining center has! Probably a crummy five axis machine!
  11. M

Proof that speaker cables make a difference

Can we get a shirt that says, "Cable denier"?
  12. M

Looking for a budget DAC/AMP (~100€/$)

I know Focusrite products are popular with musicians for their analog to digital path. Are they optimized for good D to A as well? (I am not arguing I am asking, I have only seen them used the opposite direction, with the analog out just used as a headphone driver.) More to the point I have...
  13. M

Two Amps - the specs

Looking at a Yamaha AS-301 and a Denon PMA-600NE. I am sure every maker is optimistic in their specs, but the specs are what they are. Yamaha says .019% THD and signal to noise ratio of 99. Denon says THD is .07% and signal to noise is 105. How do you all balance these numbers? I'm open to other...
  14. M

Are a dac and an headphone amplifier really worth it vs my phone ?

I just took delivery of some ancient Klipsch Heresies. I am looking for a good deal on an amplifier. I had to hear them. I hooked them to my iPad. It does not "fill the room" but it was very listenable.
  15. M

Comical statements from reviews (Lets have a laugh)

"Speakers do not put out watts!" From a review of a set of powered speakers, whose sellers said that they produce "150 watts of ultra clean power." The author goes on to rant about idiot marketers who do not understand speakers, and tells us that while speakers have a maximum power rating, they...
  16. M

Non PI4 "Jukebox"

I've seen several people talk about "Streamers" and I am not 100% sure what all they do. I see the pi4 is popular but I was thinking of a Windows desktop "jukebox" because pi4 seems like a lot of new knowledge that I do not necessarily need. I would save files on the hard drive of a Windows...
  17. M

Topping D10s USB DAC and Bridge Review

I've read most of these 22 pages now, I may have missed it but I have not seen it discussed: There are $150-$300 audiophile-targeted sound cards for PC's. Is there much (or any) difference between one of those and a Topping DAC? I realize many of the sound cards have headphone amps and some...
  18. M

USB vs Digital/Optical

You all are giving me too much credit. I was not flipping a switch and doing an A/B comparison. I listened using option 1 for a while and eventually ordered the soundcard to see if it would make things better. I installed the soundcard and used option 2 and decided, "This is much better." I then...
  19. M

USB vs Digital/Optical

I need to try them both again (optical and USB) and see if I can detect a difference.
Top Bottom