Search results

1. carewser

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

I'm a member of a couple of reddit audiophile threads where people post pictures of their rigs and most of the time they include turntables and every time I see one my mind is blown because I outgrew vinyl only a few years after buying my first CD player in the '80's. Back then I had a tape...
  2. carewser

I've owned speakers by.....

This is a little test of your memories The first set of separate speakers I owned were by Yamaha in the '80's and my addiction began, although I had an extended sabbatical ~20 years from hi-fi when I got into computers. Logitech of all companies was the catalyst that got me back into speakers...
  3. carewser

Why are 1970's receivers so valuable now?

I get the receiver wars of the late '70's being valuable as they had insanely powerful amplifiers in them but what I don't understand are other '70's receivers being valuable today as you can buy a receiver from the '80's or '90's which offer better technology and are less likely to break down...
  4. carewser

Canada Vs USA

No i'm not talking about sports matchups (this is ASR after all) but two speaker companies-one hailing from Vancouver and the other, Austin. The similarities start there as both are desirable cities of similar sizes and the similarities continue with their products, pricing, specs and looks...
  5. carewser

A tale of three subwoofers

I find the difference between subwoofers (and speakers in general) to be remarkable and here's an example to illustrate my point, three 10" subs from three different manufacturers that are wildly different. One from Acoustic Authority (the one on the left), one from Paradigm (middle) and one...
  6. carewser

Don't set your subwoofer on the floor

When this came up in my youtube recommendations, I was like, what the fuck?!?! Is this guy serious?!?! He mentions "diaphragmatic absorption" or some such thing which sounded like bullshit to me but maybe he's right since his videos have thousands of likes. In part two he makes an analogy...
  7. carewser

Are Active/Powered speakers the future?

I believe powered/active speakers are the future as they incorporate the power amplifier and preamplifier (or integrated amplifier) all within the speaker enclosure, all they need is a source like your phone/tablet and voila! Glorious music. No more mixing and matching huge separate components...
  8. carewser

subwoofer discussion

Since I own 10 of them I thought it would be interesting to discuss the different designs and features of subwoofers. One thing I don't like are downward-firing subs (even though 4 of mine are designed this way) because I can't see the driver move which is something i've always enjoyed so I just...
  9. carewser

subwoofer discussion

Since I own 10 of them I thought it would be interesting to discuss the different designs and features of subwoofers. One thing I don't like are downward-firing subs (even though 4 of mine are designed this way) because I can't see the driver move which is something i've always enjoyed so I just...
  10. carewser

Which audio-related youtube channels/websites do you visit?

I've visited many, but the main ones i've visited are Average Guy Hi-Fi (Dustin specializes in used gear, especially subwoofers for home theater), No Audiophile (offers many hilariously scathing reviews of cheap speakers) , A British Audiophile (Tarun's very knowledgeable) and The Cheap Audio...
  11. carewser

Your system in the dark

I don't expect this thread will be very lively but I wanted to start the discussion and pictures anyway because a nice light show is something i've always liked as well as great sound. When I was young i bought a Realistic LED meter gauge that measured the wattage your system put out which was...
  12. carewser

Were money and space no object what would be your dream speakers?

If you had unlimited funds and could build a room just for listening which speakers would you choose? I have three dream pairs. The Focal Grande Utopia because I think they're the world's greatest speakers (and they're from France of all places!) I'd also love to have a pair of Magnepan 30.7's...
  13. carewser

You get what you pay for? Not so much

I've always been a poor shlub so i've never had expensive gear but the one time I spring for some costly speakers ($1100/pair CAN now) I have nothing but problems. It started before I even hooked the speakers up, they were the floor model which mean't the salesman had to repackage them for me...
  14. carewser

Which country produces the greatest speakers?

I think you'd have to be a fool not to concede that America is the clear winner here as they should be given their population, but what about on a per capita basis? I think Britain easily takes the title using that criteria, from companies like Tannoy, Quad, Monitor Audio, Celestion, KEF...
  15. carewser

mini/micro subwoofer thread

So many manufacturers are getting into this these days I thought it worthy of a thread, particularly since I own a number of small subwoofers. Kanto, REL, Velodyne, PSB, Sunfire, SVS and KEF have all come out with mini/micro subs and i'd like to see thoughts, specs, reviews and suggestions for...
  16. carewser

Comparing audio gear is very difficult

Human memory is much shorter for things we hear than it is for things we touch or see but I never hear this mentioned in audio circles. I heard many years ago that accurate recall for sound is ~8 seconds which is why the only way to really compare gear is by doing A/B comparisons. I basically...
  17. carewser

Driver sizes

A while ago I pried off the metal cover of the subwoofer on my Logitech Z623's (I can hear the lo-fi whining already) and was surprised to find that it was a 6" woofer as opposed to the advertised 7" so I checked my Logitech Z-2300 subwoofer (more cringing i'm sure) and found that it too was an...
  18. carewser

break in time for speakers

As a young lad I got into audio in the early 1980's through to the early 90's and then I took a 20 year break and have gradually gotten back into it due to of all companies, Logitech. Anyway, the audio virus is back stronger than ever in me but after that lengthy sabbatical one of the things I...
  19. carewser

cooling fins

Hey guys (I say that because I doubt this place is exactly crawling with ladies), I have a bunch of self-powered speakers and I noticed recently some have cooling fins/heat sinks and some don't but I always thought the bigger and more powerful the amp the greater need for such things but that's...
Top Bottom