Search results

1. tobes

Tidal vs Qobuz experience

Tidal is definitely not for Neil Young fans, most of his catalog is not available on that service (at least in Australia?). Young is apparently not onboard with MQA.
  2. tobes

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

I've got that combination and they sound great together.
  3. tobes

Samsung USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Yes, that's why I was looking forward to receiving them. With any buds the SQ is super dependent on the seal - so perhaps its just that none of the supplied tips worked for me(?). I really don't put much stock in the AKG branding. My second thought is that perhaps they're OK for casual...
  4. tobes

FWIW the Samsung dongle drives my 150 ohm Sennheiser HD58X headphones very well. Not surprisingly, the SQ from the HD58X far exceeds the cheap Koss KSC75X I mentioned above - so the dongle scales well with better headphones. I'm waiting on a Meizo Pro dongle as I'm curious to see if the better...
  5. tobes

Meizo Pro technical performance looks adequate for CD/MP3 files and the environments where I'm most likely to use my phone for audio listening. The superior power management and compact form factor of the Meizo Pro makes it more attractive for my intended use. I've ordered one. But the S8 looks...
  6. tobes

Thanks for that info @staticV3. That's a significant advantage to the Meizo dacs for portable use.
  7. tobes

Yeah, if you're ticking off specs there is nothing special here. But this thing is tiny, low cost, and the bottom line is it sounds quite good and isn't cumbersome to use. In Australia the Galaxy Buds+ are are free with S20 pre-orders. I'll be interested to see how they compare with the...
  8. tobes

I just replaced my 3yr old Galaxy S8 with an S20+ and got one of the Samsung dongles to allow use of my wired headphones. Hard to believe that this dongle has a dac/amp squeezed inside - this thing is very compact. The S20+ comes with some USB-C earbuds - but they are awful tinny sounding crap...
  9. tobes

Review and Measurements of Benchmark HPA4 Headphone Amp/Pre

Haha. Married 24yrs actually. My wife never uses the system in my music room.
  10. tobes

Review and Measurements of Benchmark DAC3

That's a bargain price for a DAC3. Don't know about the DX7 but I own the DAC3 and Topping D70 - I'd take the DAC3 in a heartbeat.
  11. tobes

Review and Measurements of the Topping D70 DAC

I've had the D70 for more than a month. This is probably not the forum for subjective impressions - at least if not accompanied by DBT. I commented here and my impression hasn't changed. I have both the DAC3 and D70 connected balanced into the HPA4 - I can use either, but almost always...
  12. tobes

Its unfortunate they didn't change things when you snapped your fingers - but I get your frustration.;)
  13. tobes

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

I know that measurements are what this forum is about, but for some perspective its interesting to read the subjective part of the Stereophile Benchmark DAC3 review. The reviewer (and apparently other visitors to his system) found it hard to discern differences between the DAC3 and PS Audio DS...
  14. tobes

Nope. So I guess it doesn't count.:facepalm:
  15. tobes

You'd think so. I was prepared for an upset because the D70 appears to match (even exceed in some cases) the DAC3 in measurement. The AKM dac chip appears broadly respected while ESS is frowned on in some quarters. However the upset didn't happen. Some will say I was predisposed towards the more...
  16. tobes

Not my experience. I've found this to be case. Currently I have Benchmark DAC3(ESS 9028), Topping D70(AKM 4497) and Topping D50(ESS 9038). Heard through either my Focal Utopia headphones or ATC SCM100 speakers the Benchmark has a subjective clarity and transparent presence lacking in either of...
  17. tobes

While a discrete code for each analog input is missing from HPA4/LA4, any of the analog inputs can be configured as a fixed gain HT input. Not specifically related to the HPA4, but I just received the software upgrade kit (ver 2.1) for my DAC3 and it includes a hex code for universal remotes...
  18. tobes

I don't think the transformers are the reason output is kept low in the DS dac (the transformerless DS Junior has similar low output). The DS dacs are set up to operate as preamps with digital volume control. However they can become audibly noisy if used with too much digital attenuation...
  19. tobes

The result here doesn't surprise me. I previously owned a PS Audio DSjr (lower cost Directstream dac with a conventional output stage - no transformers) - frankly I found the Topping D50 to sound subjectively cleaner and more detailed. The DSjr was the second high end dac I purchased - prior to...
  20. tobes

Fair enough I can see that being an issue for some. There are certainly changes I would like to the HPA4 screen interface, eg - space re-allocated from logo to volume/source fonts, remote balance adjustment. The change you're seeking shouldn't be hard to implement.
Top Bottom