Search results

1. S

Looking for new Headphones for the next 10 Years

I really enjoy both the HD650 and the HD800, but understand the complaint about bass. I think the most direct upgrade to the HD600, in terms of "just that like but better", is the Focal Clear. Fits in your budget, too, and not hard to drive so long as you're careful about output impedance from...
  2. S

RAAL-requisite SR1a Ribbon Headphone Review

I owned two different K1000s and drove them with a variety of amps. They were very fun, some of my favorites, but I suspect they show their age now. I don't think there's much a K1000 does well that an HD800 does not do better, let alone the Raal. You could get some very interesting spatial...
  3. S

I use something very close to Amir's EQ in Roon, and after adjusting levels to ensure I wasn't clipping I don't hear any distortion at my listening levels. What are the rest of your Roon DSP settings like?
  4. S

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Audio reviewers need a hard pivot. There is a job for them in a post-measurement world, but none of them has enough power on their own to bring about the needed change. Many reviewers rely on free review samples and advertising from the companies whose products they review, and it discourages...
  5. S

These trolls are getting better all the time.
  6. S

New 2020 rolling stone ranking of the 500 greatest albums of all time

This will probably not be germane to the audiophile audience here, but J Dilla's Donuts was criminally underrated. I frankly think hip hop in general was underrepresented, given modern listening trends, but Donuts spawned whole genres. To put it hundreds of places behind Lemonade is wild to...
  7. S

Also, @amirm, I just got the Jotunheim R in and copied your EQ settings. It's a great change. I have the HD800s here as well, and AB'ing through the RME DAC FS leaves me with a clear preference for the Raals. I am a panel speaker kind of guy in theory, but I haven't had any in my home for a...
  8. S

Thanks, Amir, I appreciate it. Highest SPL is exactly what I do when I put them on, but of course I'm not a measurement device.
  9. S

There are two pads per side, one on top of the ear and one long pad in front of it. The pad on the top is similar to the Mysphere and K1000, but the long pad in front of the ear does create a kind of seal, which is unique to the Raal.
  10. S

I’m curious about how well the shape of the SR1a coupled to the GRAS 45CA. In my time listening to the headphone, I’ve noticed fit is very important, and differences in fit manifest themselves as notable differences in sound. Specifically, the even pressure of the pad that runs in front of your...
  11. S

What’s up with this guy? He’s making objectivists look bad

It's not all bad. If you've not checked it out yet, RME themselves did a 5-part series on the menu structure I found very helpful:
  12. S

I recently picked these up. While waiting for the Jotunheim R I'm powering them from a Frist Watt F5 turbo, which is likely not enough oomph to get the charger going. Given my druthers I'd likely run them off exactly what Amir's using. I've thoroughly enjoyed them. I agree with Amir's...
  13. S

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

I tried my only other USB A to C cable and a few other power warts, same story with every combination. I love the price point and the pedigree, but it seems like this unit is not behaving properly.
  14. S

I believe the RME rep when they say there is no new version coming out, but even if there was I think that’s a killer deal. I bought one from Sweetwater. Thanks for the heads up!
  15. S

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

Sorry to report, I have another temperamental unit. I'm powering it from a 5v-2a phone charger. I managed to get the driver and dfu before booting the unit up, despite their site being down as of my writing this, but I'm still seeing poor performance. I did get it to recognize high bitrate...
Top Bottom