Search results

1. O

Mac mini running Dirac

Bought official version after 2 week trial period. Running great on MacOS 12.01 Monterey.
  2. O

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

Mac standalone has shipped. I am on macOS Big Sur version 11.6.1. I went to https://www.dirac.com/live/downloads/ and downloaded “diraclive-latest.zip” which now expands into “DiracLive v3.1.2 Setup Darwin”. After reboot, Dirac Virtual Audio Device shows up as a sound output destination. I guess...
  3. O

Dirac Live standalone for PC and Mac

Here’s their manual for the Mac beta https://confluence.dirac.services/display/DLS/macOS%3A+Standalone+Beta They are updating regularly, latest version is here https://artifactory.dirac.services/artifactory/live/porter/mac/update/beta/
  4. O

System-Wide SINAD?

I wonder Amir would consider this a worthwhile experiment. He has the test equipment, and a stack of DACs and a stack of amps on loan. It would be straightforward, he already has SINAD for each DAC and for each amp. The calculation is simple. My “null hypothesis” is that the calculated result is...
  5. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Not to put to fine a point on things… I know you’re using “sum of the parts” metaphorically, but to put it exactly, the formula is not sum, its the logarithm formula cited earlier in this thread and expressed in simple Python. And further, I’d say that every component has an equal effect...
  6. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Can you compute SINAD for a chain of equipment? Some say yes, some say no. I say yes. Consider. You can feed a signal into a DAC, measure the output, and compute SINAD. Based on measuring "the average power of the signal, noise and distortion". And you can do the same for an amplifier. With me...
  7. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Appreciate all the advice. Have Usher BE718 DMD speakers. In a bedroom with imperfect acoustics and placement. SMSL m200 DAC. Audiophonics Hypex 252 amp. I think where I am is, wait patiently for Dirac sound driver for mac...
  8. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Still feel slightly lost on what to upgrade next. I guess I’m not going to change the room, or the speakers. I feel like Dirac will give me a lot of bang for the buck and compensate for both the room and the speakers. I’m feeling like upgrading the amp or the DAC won’t give me bang for the buck...
  9. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Not to derail the thread, but my take is that we then need to bring in some psycho-acoustic considerations… that the brain is able to latch onto Miles Davis’ trumpet pouring out of the speakers and tune out background noise. And that then its still worth having the chain output the purest music...
  10. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Thanks Farcurse! Can I add 3 values like so? (Intending to include DAC, amp, and speaker in the chain) db(inv_db(-114) + inv_db(-94) + inv_db(-60)) -59.99825410393011 If that is accurate, then it would be good to have SINAD for speakers, and in terms of the chained SINAD, the terrible SINAD...
  11. O

System-Wide SINAD?

In my limited sample, “buying by the (SINAD) numbers” has produced marked audible improvements. Both in theory and in practice. [Have you heard the one about the French Academic, excitedly reporting “this is not only true in practice, its true in theory!”] Though I agree that there’s one number...
  12. O

System-Wide SINAD?

er… good point… https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/ sorry if this is a dumb question but what does a speaker “score” mean as opposed to a “SINAD” for a speaker. and yeah, if we can look at the speaker part of the chain, it still sounds like by far the...
  13. O

System-Wide SINAD?

Thanks folks! Can I then say, that the plan should be, to first attack the weakest link in the chain, the component the lowest SINAD? And then can I further say that, if speakers are by far the weakest link in the chain, shouldn't we be testing speakers here instead of DACs? I seem to recall...
  14. O

System-Wide SINAD?

How does SINAD chain? My DAC has a SINAD of 114 and my amp has a SINAD of 94. Here is the definition of SINAD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SINAD. So should I upgrade the amp or the DAC? And could factor in cost somehow. Should I just sum the SINAD and say that I have a net SINAD of the chained...
  15. O

Mac mini running Dirac

I checked at https://www.dirac.com/live/downloads/ and as of today August 19, 2021 they are still offering… “Dirac Live – Version 3.0.14 2021-03-18” I guess they don’t yet have “an update of the Mac version that will align it with the Windows version... as a result it will be possible to use...
  16. O

Do Audio Speakers Break-in?

Can we find on the internet speaker (or amp...) manufacturer FAQs or user manuals that say "of course, our equipment requires 100 hours of burn in to sound its best, please be sure to do this..." The manufacturers should know after all. Can the burn in believers provide links to any such info...
  17. O

I wonder how many decades ago the burn-in theory originated... and why there is still no solid evidence measured. One thing that does change during the break-in period is the neurons in the listeners brain. Maybe some form of auto-suggestion or priming explains the devout adherence to "I swear...
  18. O

If paper-cone drivers change physically, why wouldn't they keep changing indefinitely? Are there any scientifuc papers about "how to engineer paper drivers so they change, but in desirable ways, and then magically stop changing after 30 hours".
  19. O

Mac mini running Dirac

Has anyone on the planet accomplished this? Its quite a rain dance. Its as if the Dirac instructions are written in Swedish or something. I agree with Amazon Music HD as feeding in a massive library of HD music. And they have a Mac app. But I believe the Amazon Music HD app is not “VST aware”...
  20. O

Nvidia Shield PCM over HDMI quality

A more knowledgable friend pointed out RE the Nvidia Shield output: The bitrate thing only applies to PCM audio, not bitstream. Bitstream will do 24bit DTS-HD Truehd just fine. it just sends the encoded stream to the AVR. But if you're sending PCM to the AVR, it will only do 16bit...
Top Bottom