Search results

1. A

Which order to apply room correction tools?

Much appreciated. I’m planning on using mini-DSP SHD Studio to do bass managed before feeding main stereo DAC for front left / right and an old mini-DSP 10x10HD to manage a fleet of mono subs optimised via MSO. It’s not Dirac but I think that I can do overall EQ via PEQ on the mini-DSP as this...
  2. A

Which order to apply room correction tools?

Thanks, Andy, for the great MSO! I’m focused on stereo with main speakers high passed and fleet of mono low passed subs. Your point that applying Dirac on the inputs not making sense is well taken. Any idea of hardware that allows for overall EQ to be applied later in the chain after bass...
  3. A

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

What was the reason for ditching mini-DSP / MSO for Mac / DBLC? (A while back I was using a PC / RME UFX to deal with FIR filters from Audiolense but getting the occasional issue with the PC made it untenable for the family)
  4. A

Much appreciated. I'd somehow missed the fact that the SHD has S/PDIF (Coax) output! It's kind of tempting as there is a scenario in which domestic harmony requires moving from 3 to 2 subwoofers at which point I could get to a one box solution. And, I guess, if I do return to s/w based...
  5. A

@mdsimon2 I’m considering purchasing a mini-DSP SHD Studio with AES1/2 driving a DAC / power amp / main speakers and AES 3/4 driving a mini-DSP 10x10HD that manages a fleet of three subwoofers that are optimized using MSO. Are there any issues with, in effect, running different DAC for the...
  6. A

Southwest Audio Fest announced -- Dallas, TX -- March 15-17, 2024--Exhibitor list now up

Thanks, it’s such an interesting concept given the emergence of small, high-power, amps. That said, I’m hoping you spoke to said designer about the distribution of the Gina speaker here in Australia as that would make a fabulous replacement for my old Unity Horns (which my wife hates)
  7. A

Southwest Audio Fest announced -- Dallas, TX -- March 15-17, 2024--Exhibitor list now up

Interest. Are you at liberty to let us know the speaker brand / speaker designer?
  8. A

New Perlisten speakers

Always wondered how these speakers performed.
  9. A

Tower with good bass extension vs. stand-mount with a sub?

A lot of good advice in this thread. One issue with the ‘stand-mount plus sub’ model is that some smaller stand-mount speakers start rolling off at circa 120Hz which makes integration difficult. The best results, in my experience, come from a near full range speaker (whether this be a bass...
  10. A

Dirac Live Bass Control with mixed subwoofers

Just reading this thread as I embark on MSO with a couple of large subs and a smaller sub (with less extension and higher distortion for a given volume). What is meant by the phrase ‘…. If you have enough, then extension is more important’? Also, I’ve always followed Geddes recommendations in...
  11. A

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

Yes, agree that casework, form factor … will be of value to some
  12. A

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

I’m the ‘target customer’ in that I run a stereo setup for movies as well as music, with a system based on full-range main speakers with multiple subs and an aging mini-DSP 10x10. The attraction is DLBC and DART but the value proposition vs an AVR/P that supports the same Dirac modules isn’t...
  13. A

Advice on speakers for near / mid-field setup

Yes, some background might be useful. The 8c are paired with subs in a separate room used for music and (2-channel) movies. I’m a big fan of having a shared, family system, and that is the 8c set-up. That said, my goal, here, is for a system to be used when working or, ultimately, when I need a...
  14. A

Advice on speakers for near / mid-field setup

I’ve gifted a pair of KH80DSP speakers to my son and am after advice on replacement options. The speakers will be situated on a desk, either side of a monitor, and about 1.2m from the listening position. (The desk is up against the front wall which is untreated due to there being a (closed)...
  15. A

Audiophiles, generally don't like class D amps!

I don’t frequent a lot of other forums but, setting aside the fringe, my take is that over the past decade the consensus has in fact moved from ‘class D is shrill’ to ‘class D great for subs’ to ‘class D is great for simple speaker’. The point of debate now seems to be about whether Class D is...
  16. A

Seeking replacement for KH80s

I'm a fan of the LH65 stands for a couple of reasons: (i) it's simple to get the speaker to the correct height and (ii) the design keeps the desktop looking clean. (The alternative that I've seen is the Iso Acoustic stands which have four pillars, one in each corner, with the result being that...
  17. A

New Purifi amplifiers coming

So does the 7040 have an advantage over the 9040 for difficult loads? Or is the reverse true?
  18. A

Any truth to speakers being better with a more powerful amp?

This topic is also of interest to me as I attempt to find a power amp to drive some vintage stand-mount speakers that go down to 3Ohms at 150Hz. Is it as simple, for modern amps, as follows: 1. If the speaker has a benign impedance curve the relevant amplifier criteria are just the power...
  19. A

Mesanovic cdm65 or Neumann KH150

Yes, at least here in Australia, this option is a similar price to a single pair of the CDM65. My situation is that I’ve got existing sub(s) so it’s all about the >80Hz performance in the near-field.
  20. A

Mesanovic cdm65 or Neumann KH150

Is the ‘here’ in the sentence because of the requirement to be able to use the speakers across different rooms? Or, put differently, in what situations would you recommend the KH150 over the CDM65?
Top Bottom