Search results

1. K

Listening Window Versus Toe In

I agree with that. But what if the manufacturer does not specify any listening axis? Then it makes sense - in my opinion - to look for the angle (within, say, 0° - 30° off the orthogonal on the baffle) at which the direct sound is "reasonably flat" and as similar to the sound power as possible...
  2. K

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

I am not sure I understand your point ... In the article I linked the view that NATO didn't honor its own promises is put into perspective. Which is the context of the year 1990, when the Warsaw Pact still existed and any idea of Poland etc. joining NATO was incredibly far fetched (and actually...
  3. K

Russian Invasion of Ukraine

On the argument that NATO has spread eastward, contrary to an earlier promise not to do so, the following article is instructive: Die Zeit (german newspaper): 'Der Geschichtsvollzieher' (I have no idea whether automated translation will keep the essential statements intact ...) In any case, the...
  4. K

Imaging and soundstage. What are they and who hears them?

I can imagine that not everyone finds phenomena like 'soundstage' equally important or perceives them with the same differentiation. For example, as a predominantly classical music listener, not only the spatial depth of the sound image - and of individual instruments on the imaginary stage -...
  5. K

Opinions on Hypex Plate (FusionAMP) Amplifiers?

A "proper" volume control has to (in my opinion) allow to aim for a certain increase/decrease "intuitively". This is easier done with a volume knob - though not every implementation necessarily does it really well. Also, I personally definitely want to be able to actually see a number indicating...
  6. K

Better port design?

The port in the shown Harbeth box is tuned relatively high, and the box volume is relatively "big" as well (certainly > 25 l, maybe around 30 l?). Thus the port can be kept rather short (which is also helped by its small diameter). So any port resonances will start at quite high frequencies...
  7. K

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

At first I thought this to be a phenomenon I already had heard of. But in this exact form I have not. What I have heard/read not long ago (maybe in Toole's book): That due to "imperfections" of the stereophonic principle we tend to perceive the elevation of high frequencies as higher for sounds...
  8. K

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

Based on my own experience with "small" (slim) 2-way floorstanding speakers, I also believe that the playback volume plays a significant role in the perceived size of phantom sound sources or the size of the "sound image" as a whole. Other factors mentioned here may also be important - at least...
  9. K

How to Measure Amplifier Sound Stage Capability?

Something which often is responsible for apparent sound differences (where none are to be expected - or where the objectively (much) better performing component may sound not as good as some other that is objectively "bad"): The apparently better sounding component/s play louder (for some...
  10. K

Looking for insights into Magico's amazing off-axis measurements

Regarding the elliptical crossover: I may be wrong - in this case - but isn't it a characteristic of these types that they are 'aggressive' once they reach their maximum slope, but are in fact rather mild in the crossover region? Meaning that there is a broad area of overlap between both...
Top Bottom